Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was John Simms Master in the trailer :suspense:. Why was that there? How was that there?

Oh god, this is going to have so much backstabbing. I'm hoping Missy is going to backstab him for revenge for whatever he does, and of course he's going to start plotting for the future so when he's her he can have his own revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

After The War posted:

It's quite simple, Nardole is the Penfold to Capaldi's Danger Mouse. And since I was a Danger Mouse fan before I was a Doctor Who fan, I'm quote okay with this.

I mean, look at that. Look at it!

Have you not seen the Danger Mouse remake? Because you should really watch the Danger Mouse remake because it's fantastic :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One lovely little touch with the episode; When Bill and the Doctor are first examining the emotion beacon things in their hands, they alternate between having an expression and being blank depending on which character the camera's focused on.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The murderdeath happened due to a poorly thought out protocol that he just deleted.

Was this episode meant to be at the same time as Starship UK? I didn't catch the date.

I think it's generally implied by "I've run into a couple of the other ships".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Impressed by the episode for sure. Good dialogue, loved the set design, and it's always cool to see how the Doctor reacts to being wrong.

Question though - I got a major vibe at the end that was along the lines of "telling newcomers to respect and negotiate with the natives." Definitely could make a case for colonization, but I got a "refugees coming to a new country for asylum" vibe, especially with the history picture book in the tomb and all the pictures of conflict and the references to The Beast Below/The Ark in Space.

Not a bad thing like the Zygon two-parter but I went to refugees instead of colonists.

It's not a bad take on it, but could you blame them for an apology in script form for The Zygon Invasion?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndyElusive posted:

Well we all know the TARDIS takes him where he needs to be. So anytime the Doctor landed somewhere or somewhen unintended it was for the better. Anytime he landed with pin point accuracy it was just the TARDIS saying, "yes, I agree let's go there" rather than "weeeeellllll, how about here instead?"

Yeah, I also see it as the Doctor generally being able to control the TARDIS properly but sometimes she knows he's needed right at the next planet over. Or a century prior to when he intended.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Don't feel so bad about our australian Whovians programme anymore.

Is that you getting a shoutout at the end echoplex? if so that's pretty cool. Your work is awesome.

Oh, hey, woah.

At least it's giving Rove work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lampsacus posted:

The Doctor makes a big deal about his quest to find Gallifrey in the 50th year special. It's the next big treasure hunt to cap off the big episode.
Then he runs into Gallifrey when they kidnap him because ??? and then he is angry at them (their leader) because ???. Then he leave Gallifrey and doesn't continue his quest to know where it is because ???

Could somebody fill in the ???s for me.

Because he is the only one who knows who/what the Hybrid is and they are deeply afraid of a prophesied creature capable of killing their race.

He was royally pissed off with them all because the Confession Dial is meant to be a solemn, safe, place for a Time Lord to make their last will and testament before death. They perverted his into a torture cell to make him reveal what the Hybrid is.

Galifrey was back in normal space, and they outright told him they were hiding at the end of the universe. He got the gently caress out of dodge because that's what the Doctor does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Or the time he lashes out in anger later in the same episode and Bill makes fun of him for it.

Isn't there a little remark from Bill or The Doctor that he doesn't have time to get outraged because he's just always outraged?

Cleretic posted:

'2.47 billion' isn't exactly a concrete number. I feel like he didn't 'count how many children were on Gallifrey' as 'remembered the population statistics from around that time', which isn't unreasonable, it's like you remembering the rough population count of the country you live in.

Even then, the number isn't the point. The point is that one day the Doctor actually sat down in one of his darker moments and did the math to work out the number of children he killed with the Moment. And then did his damnedest to forget it, which is something The Doctor of all people shouldn't have done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Tom Baker could die at any moment! (Source: Tom Baker)

Tom Baker ain't going nowhere (Source: The preposterous notion of a universe without Tom Baker in it)

One day Tom Baker will just vanish without a trace. And strangely, Peter Davidson will start acting a whole lot more smug like he knows something we don't...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shneak posted:

The wood woman genuinely creeped me out every time she spoke :stare:

This episode was the first genuinely scary one for me in a long while, I loved it. And the makeup on the wood woman was amazing. It's also almost certainly John Simm's Master in the Vault, because who else would get excited about teens getting eaten by a house? My only complaint is that with the Dryads apparently being affected/manipulated by high-frequency sound, why couldn't the Doctor just sonic them?

Given that the Doctor going into The Vault was such a simple thing (no worry about the contents escaping at all, or even making a big deal about opening it to visit the occupant), I can't help but think the purpose of the Vault isn't to keep something in, it's to keep something out and protect whomever is inside.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 7, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Season 1 is still pretty good I think, but visually it has aged horribly. RTD really revels in reintroducing the Doctor and showcasing us the character in the modern world. I still love their horrified reactions to the police officer who asks (paraphrased),"So you picked up this young girl to travel the world with you for a year without telling her mother.... sir is this a sexual thing?"

I love that moment too. It's when the Doctor calls Rose 'his Companion', and then there's just no salvaging that one for him :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh god, I just realized the best/worst outcome; Simms Master dies midway/near the end of the multi-Master story and The Doctor has to contend with two Missy's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

I just assumed the UK has no housing offices like we do, that just list all available student rooms on the website, and you can apply for a visit and an interview with the people currently living there, and if you like each other that's your room.

Walking around with some sort of landlord guy checking out houses? Never seen anything like that before. Probably some UKism.

That'd be the real estate agent, acting on behalf of the property owners. Anything the tenants need goes through them rather than the owner directly, and they can arrange things like plumbers or electricians on the owner's behalf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gum posted:

The least realistic part of the episode was where six students who got a good house on the cheap were willing to abandon it just because is was trying to kill them

If some of them die, they can't pay rent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Narsham posted:

"Oh, my God! I'm the tin dog!"

Regarding the Doctor's blindness, given that next week's episode is supposed to feature an evil book that effects anyone who reads it, having the Doctor unable to read seems like it will be a vital plot point. (A guess, as I've not been spoiled beyond a three-sentence blurb of the premise of the next episode and the preview.)

You seem to be forgetting Psychic paper is a thing. It's been a thing the Doctor himself has used for ages now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I wonder if they're still attributing every Time War Dalek and every Time Lord to him.

Gallifrey is in hiding at the end of the Universe, as far as anyone knows the planet still burned.

Plus the Time War is a fix time-locked series of events, and at the very least the Daleks all killed themselves at the end with friendly-fire because of The Doctor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I waffle on which message is worse. "Be scared of immigrants/refugees" and "hey kids, don't take your medicine" are both pretty lovely...but the latter targets one of the most vulnerable groups of people

The first came out during the middle of a massive ongoing immigration issue. That's bonus points of terrible for timing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And Extremis it was pretty mediocre at best

Extremis is entirely prologue for another episode with no actual punchline of its own, and that's really the mark of bad writing if you have to eat an entire other episode before the story you actually want to tell. Even the Missy reveal is completely so-what because it affects nothing that happened in Extremis.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainCaveman posted:

Would you have the same complaint if it had been called "Extremis: Part One"? I'm just curious because a multi-episode story isn't really something new either to Doctor Who or TV in general.

Multi-part episodes at least do something relevant for the story as a whole. The portals? Nothing. Risky trick for temporary eyesight? Pointless, it's a simulation. Missy? Backstory reveal unrelated to this episode's events. All we get out of it relevant to the followup is "Hey Doctor, Aliens are coming to invade, Love; Doctor." Which amounts to gently caress-all considering he generally stops in-progress surprise Alien Invasions as a hobby.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plavski posted:

"Nardole, are you secretly a badass?"

"Nothing secret about it, babydoll."

You know, that exchange was better than any of Moffats "zingers" or one-liners over the years. Putting a good character line in the mouth of a comedian has so much more effectiveness than rapid-fire blathering from Clara.

I quite liked "I am the only man in the universe with an actual license to kick the Doctor's rear end".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

happyhippy posted:

WE ARE THE EXECUTIONERS OF EVERY SENTIENT SPECIES IN THE UNIVERSE. INCLUDING TIME LORDS
THE FIVE OF US.
WE THINK OF EVERY EVENTUALITY.
EXCEPT THE loving OBVIOUS.
Now watch us run away like Tom and Jerry cartoon characters.

From a few pages back, but this isn't quite right. They're a religion that has dedicated itself to finding a way to kill anything. They're less executioners and more people with too much time on their hands sitting down to think "okay, how could we actually kill a Time Lord?..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Douglas the Idiot looked familiar but it wasn't until I looked it up that I found out he was Dan Miller from The Thick of It.

The episode had far too much poo poo happening because the plot demanded it happen, like all of the lab stuff and the Doctor deducing that it was a superbacteria. First miss of the season.

The cylinder combination lock was such an idiot contrivance. You can clearly see the gears at work in Peter Harness's head going "Why's it not a regular numberpad, oh right he'd still know where the numbers are, and he can hack digital touchscreen displays. What's left... uh....:pseudo:"

Also, why the gently caress do they keep letting Peter Harness write episodes when he keeps writing crap? At least he's not writing the next one, so it might actually turn out okay. Even if this is looking like another pointless episode to set up the next one. Again. The only lynchpin linking them all together is "The Doctor is blind" and you could pull that out by having Nardole actually fix his eyes at the end of Oxygen.

For that matter, seriously, they're telling us the Doctor's just going to accept being blind for the rest of his incarnation instead of going [i]anywhere in space and time[/i] to go fix his eyesight? Nanites. Nigh-magical technology. 50th-Century Lasik surgery in the Andromeda Galaxy. Take your pick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, why you're saying that at all is a bit weird, given the Doctor clearly DID bang together a solution through the shades. Sure, they aren't perfect, but the Doctor's never been one for perfect solutions. Veritas showed pretty definitively (even if it wasn't the real Doctor) that he's making the best of what he's got, you can't just assume there's a better solution out there that he 'should' be taking.

You can when you understand it's bad writing. The only thing wrong is with his eyes from basic exposure to vacuum. Fix'em with fancy future medicine/surgery, replace them with cloned ones or robot eyes. There's a shitload of basic sci-fi options beyond "Oh no, my eyesight is gone forever and ever, oh well".

Cleretic posted:

In fairness, this next episode obviously does need that setup; judging by the preview the Monks kinda timefucked the Earth's history, you can't just jump right into that. Especially since they're new enemies, even if it were the Daleks or something that are known quantities we'd still be annoyed if we didn't get that leadup.

Sure, i can agree to that. Just not two whole episodes to set up "they have watched humanity through all its history and are now making their move".

Hell, you might actually be able to sink the two episodes altogether with a two-minute cold open showing a world leader giving consent on global television, with the big friendly alien saviours for solving world hunger/poverty/pollution/global warming as some big event the Doctor's late to finding out (or outright missed) and get rolling from there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SimplyCosmic posted:

Wouldn't the Monk's trick with changing every digital and physical clock to 11:57 pm significantly damage civilization in a super-Y2K scenario? GPS wouldn't work properly, many computer systems that rely on exact synchronous timing would freeze or fail, etc?

Yes, yes it would.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mooseontheloose posted:

I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes but from wha tI saw, Bill made the wrong deal. Enslave the Earth so the Doctor can get his eyesight back? The Doctor is the ruler of Earth and Bill speaks for the Earth. Ugh.

If you've missed the last few seasons, the various governments of Earth now have an agreed-upon policy of "If poo poo goes sideways, put The Doctor in charge and stand well back." It's not the best writing, but it's a clean way to just get on with the story at-hand instead of a round of "Who are you? Why should we listen to what you say?!" every single time something openly threatens the entire planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decius posted:

Hey, Nate Silver had the outcome at a decent and realistic value of happening twice in 10 elections. It was us idiots that laughed about it and ridiculed him for not having it at 1 % like we thought it should be.

Absolute poo poo of a episode. And next one looks exactly like a retread of the one where the Daleks conquered Earth and the Doctor was gone for a year or so. Or was it the Master who conquered Earth? It has been conquered so often it's just another Tuesday for everyone there.

The Master did it, and Martha spent a year "walking the Earth" to get everyone clapping their hands and believing in The Doctor. And yea, he hath risen to smite the Master mightily.

Also, if they want to do an interesting story with the Doctor being blind, why not just use a known enemy for whom eyesight is a real issue like the Weeping Angels, or the Silence, or even something new along the same lines? You are massively hosed if you can't look at the Angels, after all. :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It is a dumb premise, but I like to think of the President of Earth thing as the various governments just admitting that trying anything else goes badly. Any time he's gotten involved and they shunned his advice, people died. Any time they tried to stop him and do their own thing, people died. Any time the Doctor's gone up against the alien threat after their people died, the aliens died. Standard policy is now to stand the gently caress back and let the Doctor sort it out, because they've learned their goddamn lesson by now. The hard way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Silence can't go near present-day Earth. Anyone who has ever seen the Moon Landing carries a subconcious kill order to murder them on-sight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm annoyed that Moffat had Bill essentially sacrifice Earth in order to give the Doctor his sight back. I'm hoping they stick the landing on this (presumably) three-parter.

That would be a no regardless. Any good story needs a beginning, middle, and end, and so far we've had two unnecessary prologues. The finale could be good, but it still doesnt excuse wasting two episode slots in a twelve-episode season just to start the actual story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, there is no reason why there couldn't have been other episodes between the first and second parts. The intervening weeks could have had moments where the doctor considers the message and tries to figure out what it means.

After part one I assumed the reason why they would choose to attack NOW rather than any other moment was because sim-Doctor had gotten a message out to real Doctor -- in effect making it the Doctor's fault they attack this week rather than 50 years from now. The Doctor's attempt to save the world becomes thing thing that endangers it. Nope. Apparently it was pure coincidence that humans almost destroy ourselves within days of Sim-Doctor sending the message.

So what did Sim-Doctor accomplish? Did anything at all about their plan change because he sent that message? Did anything the Doctor did change? As soon as they enter the pyramid the aliens immediately tell them about the simulation, so no advantage there. I guess if he hadn't known about their plan the Doctor might have been more curious than suspicious, and encouraged the humans to talk instead of attack the pyramid. But since the attempts to attack the pyramid didn't work, that seems moot.

I'm moderately certain in a real GMO lab there'd be none of that "cycle the air with outside air every thirty minutes" crap, because that seems like a big breach in containment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

In the current Lore he should be the First Of The Time Lords, since Gallifrey being at the end of the universe means it doesn't exist yet.

I don't think you quite grasp time travel if that's your logic. Also Gallifrey is hiding, so going around saying they're the Last of the Time Lords keeps people from going looking for it.

All of creation remembers the Time War. And all of creation would not rest until they really burned Gallifrey if they knew it still existed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that was a waste of an episode. And in no way needed two episodes of setup just to get to a starting point that would've been infinitely better if we had no foreknowledge as to what's going on. Instead we already know why history's suddenly altered and why The Doctor's in the Monk's care putting out propaganda.

Anyone know what happened to the nice family down the street? Why do I have a rifle and a uniform that says "Memory Police" on the arm patch? :confused:

Seriously, how more unsubtle can you get about history potentially being altered than an entire organization specifically dedicated to "The True History"? :cripes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And More posted:

I can find something redeeming about most of his episodes. That one really was just awful, though. Particularly since it came right after the abhorrent Zygon two-parter and the tone-deaf Ashildr two-parter.

I think the eye-booger one was okay. It definitely doesn't manage to land intact, but it at least tried to do something interesting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really enjoyed this episode, especially after that loving pointless trilogy. It wasn't the greatest episode of Doctor Who ever by a long mile, but it was at least great fun.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the best way to sell the "Can Missy be redeemed" thing before the inevitable conclusion, would be to have her as a temp companion for a few episodes before her betrayal - and have her behave. The audience would spend the first two episodes waiting for the shoe to drop, start second-guessing themselves when it doesn't, then be satisfied when it finally does in the third episodes conclusion leading into the primary Missy story of the season.

We all know she's going to stick the knife in and run at some point, the fun part is watching Missy and trying to figure out if she's up to something already or just biding her time :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is that the Doctors turns up and completely shames the dad ("cucks", I think, in the modern parlance?), running him out of the house and leaving the mother in charge. Whether she invites him back or not, the power structure from the start of the episode has obviously been upended.

No, the point trying to be made was for the son to not completely shut his Dad out of his life. The guy is well and truly out of the house(and rightfully so), the point was to make sure the son at least kept in touch because the guy's still his Dad. Even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat that got everything coming to him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Don't put the blame on me, I voted for Lord Buckethead.

It's pronounced Lord Bouquet-head :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

Bryan Fuller is really good at artistic direction, which is how all of his shows have incredible visuals and they all feel like these unique genre blends, which you'd think would make him a good match for Doctor Who, but when he clashes with network brass, he subscribes to the "Then I'm taking my ball and going home!" school of negotiation, which is how he's had several decent shows yanked out from under him. I also suspect that his Doctor Who would be less like American Gods and Pushing Daisies and more like his work on Star Trek, which, as a reminder, includes the worst episode of Voyager (yes, worse than the lizard sex episode).

Which Voyager episode out of curiosity, because there is a couple I can think of off the top of my head that are far worse than Threshold.

Timby posted:

New series exclusive to CBS All-Access in North America and on Netflix internationally, set ten years prior to the Original Series. Premiering this fall. It's had an insanely troubled development history and while Fuller was originally in charge of it, after production was delayed three times because he was being a prima donna about the scripts, CBS finally shoved him out the airlock and replaced him.

It's also pretty obvious that CBS are trying their damnedest to strangle the entire show in the crib, so it's probably not entirely Fuller's fault regarding the scripts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

It's Retrospect, which is divisive, but the ending makes it the worst, because it's actually reprehensible. The metaphors in Star Trek don't tend to be subtle, and when you're doing one about sexual assault, the message at the end shouldn't be "Maybe she accidentally just made the whole thing up because of her traumatic childhood."

Oh THAT one. That one is definitely one of the worst, alongside the one with the obscenely rascist prisoner subplot and the one where B'Elanna throws a teenage spat over her unborn daughter hsving klingon forhead ridges and tries to re-engineer her genetics so she'll grow into a blonde-haired pure human :godwin:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Rule one: the Doctor lies.
Rule two: the Master always loving lies.

I'm half-expecting the resolution of this season to be Missy simply biding her time and waiting for her prior incarnation to come rescue her. Just as she remembers doing when she was Simms Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Shame there weren't any Cybermen in that episode

You gotta admit the door hint was pretty drat clever though.

• Locked thread