Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Two things can do the same thing but Moffat's probably just incapable of pulling it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I disagree, the man has an amazing range. It's just the DW writers don't give him the opportunity to use it.

Moffat. Not Capaldi.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually excited for this season now.

Man maybe Clara was what was ruining it...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't wait for the big idiot behind Forest to gently caress it all up next week.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"'Ello! I'm the Doctor! Eey! What's going on 'ere?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Completely different kind of thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not sure how a plank of wood could say one thing - just - one thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is a sci-fi episode of Dwarf Fortress.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Be fair Forest is uniquely, thoroughly awful and gave the distinct impression that the guy behind it had never written anything in his life and wasn't planning to start now. My statement was reasonable based on the evidence available.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I'd associate it going off a lot more with Moffat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

wow no

It's fine.

This week's was really good! Again!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thinking about it, the way the conflict was resolved was a lot like The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, wasn't it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I'm really hoping there's some kind of twist because it's a bit too obvious to drag out all season at this point.
You say that but all the "evidence" people are quoting is circumstantial at best and remember, this is a mass appeal series and people are thick.

The_Doctor posted:

Quite enjoyed that. I watched the binaural version, and agree the effect wasn't quite used as it could have been. Like, put on headphones and listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQH-jwE_kfo

That's some really good 3d binaural sound right there.

Ironically, this really reminded me of dodgy British horror film, Spirit Trap, starring Billie Piper which she filmed just before starting on Who. It's also about a bunch of students moving into a spooky old house with a Secret.

gently caress me that first knock is exactly from my window.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The bugs were activated by high pitched noise, not controlled by it. Sonicing it would probably just make it worse.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone clearly has a problem with representation of disabilities in television.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing against BF, but a full cast 11th Doc audio series is probably the only thing that could get me into the audios. I've listened to a handful of 8 stories but the format just doesn't grab me. (And yes, I've tried the usual recommended stories.)

This season is still solid, but I found this episode pretty lacking. I'm not sure I even understand what story purpose Bill "dying" served. There's better ways to demonstrate the dangers of trusting the Doctor, or how he often lies to downplay threats. That qualm aside, I think the episode could've used a rewrite that emphasized the cold and inhuman business practices at play more than what we got. I'm still really happy with the chemistry between Bill and 12. She's the companion Capaldi should have had from the start. That's not a knock on Coleman or Clara, and I understand the logic behind leaving a familiar face in the tardis while you introduce a new Doctor, but I was never sold on their relationship. Clara seems like the kind of person who would have left 12 for good early on.

I figured Bill's death was making us think the Doctor stamping around going DIE WELL YOU FUCKS was him going into despair over losing a companion like he did with Clara, a bit of a bait and switch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nirvana had one shot then disappeared.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Interesting that the Big Finish sale focused on the Master than the A-plot.

The Master's right at the start and throwing up things like Memory Lane would be a pretty big hint.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nardole has definitely proven to be a great addition and I look forward to Big Finish inevitably giving him his own series.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's that aliens are coming to invade and they know exactly how to beat us.

I think the point of the NPC suicides was that it mucked up the simulation, cause the real CERN wouldn't just blow itself up out of nowhere. It introduces unrealistic data.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ither posted:

And It Was All A Dream?

Really? Really, Doctor Who?

What a waste of an hour. And the season was going well too. I hope this isn't the downward pivot

It Wasn't Actually All A Dream Were You Paying Attention

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

An early civilisation who figured it out then comitted suicide en masse, clearly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah. "Your missing translator."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like it's a bit dishonest that they were setting up the prediction thing to be like a military invasion. Like, we've studied your every move, we know everything you could do, we're teleporting onto your planes and taking them over, and then it was... what we got.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you have an episodic tv series, it is usually better for your storylines not to go past one season. Obviously you want to set up the next season, leave a question or two unanswered to go back to later, but you have to be prepared to commit to it. The big question at the end of season five was "Who blew up the TARDIS?" then season six goes somewhere completely different and the answer is given as a kind of aside in a Christmas special.

Clearly it's different for Doctor Who but when it comes to plotting tv shows, I feel like starting with, "Oh, I'll bring this in now and resolve this in three seasons' time," is a bit like the Hollywood "We don't care if it's a good movie - we just want the launchpad for a new franchise" sensibility you get a lot nowadays (e.g. Dracula Untold, seemingly endless YA adaptations etc.).

But, regardless, all Moffat has to do is make stories that seem clever and he'll get away with it provided there's enough "epic" moments people can turn into gifs and stick on Tumblr and one-liners that can turn into annoying memes.

Wait, they explained who blew up the TARDIS?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

They had a brainwashed psychopath in their power for years, maybe they brainwashed her to blow up the Tardis. Or maybe one of the Silence monsters snuck on board, or maybe they recruited an alien that can turn invisible

Maybe lots of things but they never bloody said!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hardly anything loving happened. I got to the end and was genuinely surprised it used all 45 minutes, it felt more like 20 at most.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No it isn't. The idea is that the fantastical elements are easily distinguishable from the realistic ones, so as we can more easily spot what's supposed to be there and what isn't. I spent the entire episode expecting the other shoe to drop about that guy but he was just... an ordinary soldier? Who was black? It worked with my expectations, based on what I know about the time period, to set up something that the episode wasn't actually going to do.

I seem to remember you using this same logic about the moon egg and it was just as silly then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chakram posted:

So are they going to explain what seized control of the TARDIS and/or why it decided to kidnap Nardole for a while?

Can we save these posts until the end of the season?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't wait for everyone on tumblr to think of "Superwholocula"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah there's Supernatural in there too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

If it's bad for a fandom to want two brothers to gently caress I don't want to be bad

And to want the actors, who are both married IIRC, to gently caress.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Originally, the Earth had no Moon, and had a twin planet exactly opposite the Sun on the same orbit, Mondas, which developed essentially identically to Earth right down to the continents being ours but upside down. In Doctor Who canon, the Moon is an egg a rogue planetoid that entered the Solar System. The Silurians went into hiding because they thought it was going to impact Earth, but it got caught by Earth's gravity instead, which is why they never woke up - their systems were waiting for the aftermath of something that never happened. The resulting change in the gravitational balance of the system flung Mondas off into space, where life on it continued to develop the same as ours.

As the planet got further and further into space, the surface became uninhabitable, so the few remaining Mondasians went underground. As they couldn't afford to lose people, they kept everyone going by replacing damaged parts, first with organic parts from the dead, then with cybernetic prostheses. After a while, it got to the point that anyone who saw the sky for the first time, after a lifetime underground, went mad immediately.

In order to bring the planet back to where it came from, they constructed a giant rocket on the surface to push it back the other way, using the only people who could survive: fully augmented workers with even their emotions removed. The Cybermen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

That isn't what's implied at all, which is why you hear "nobody is saying this," because they aren't saying it. That you have made it your personal crusade to argue against a phantom because of your obtuse inability to engage with complexity is nobody's fault but your own, and it makes you look abysmally stupid.

Be fair, Doctor What kind of is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The youngest would be the one from earliest in the timeline ie War in Day or One in The Three or The Five. The latest guy is the oldest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's. You know. The Master herself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well I really liked it. Felt it hit the mark all the way through.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I see the Brexit set has its Who fans.

So is this the weakest trolling of all time or s you have a point to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's wrong with Hurndall?

• Locked thread