Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Who else was a little bit curious about the Doctor saying Bill was his granddaughter?

Because it doesn't seem impossible that she is.

It hasn't been mentioned since, but in the first episode, when Bill was looking at pictures of her mother, wasn't there one with her mother and The Doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

jivjov posted:

Uhh...you know he was just continuing the cover story Bill ad-libbed, right?

Jerusalem posted:

Bill mentions that she has no pictures of her mother, then goes home where suddenly a box of photos of her mother have been discovered and one of them has a reflection of the Doctor. The idea is pretty clearly supposed to be that he jumped in the TARDIS, went back and befriended Bill's mom and took a bunch of photos of her so he could gift them to Bill as a Christmas Present.

All that said, Bill calling out,"Grandfather!" to him did make me warmly nostalgic for the Hartnell era, and he did quite deliberately look towards a picture of Susan when she asked what it was he saw in her that made him want to tutor her. She isn't his granddaughter, but being stuck on Earth and at a school again obviously has him feeling nostalgic :3:

Just kind of thinking aloud here,

I mean, the biggest objection isn't that its improbable or that the foreshadowing is too obvious, its that "this character that we've just met is actually a Time Lord" has been used...at least twice so far?

I think that Bill is actually Susan about as much as I think that Captain Jack is really the Face of Boe.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Am I the only one who was confused by the ending and thought something was going on other than what was said?

The Doctor, Bill and Nardol are all hugging. Then we cut, and they are back on the TARDIS. The Doctor isn't clear when and how that happened. He also is talking about why he didn't tell Bill, and he said he never told the enemy his plan. (Being blind wouldn't mean the Doctor would forget walking to and entering the TARDIS)

Okay, I know this doesn't quite make sense, but what if Nardol isn't Nardol and the Doctor is faking his injury? I get the feeling there was more going on there than just that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I think that this series is, in a lot of ways, the objectively best season of Doctor Who for a while, with no major missteps, and solid episodes throughout. The only problem for me is, a lot of the episodes feel a little rushed...we are barely introduced to the mystery before it is resolved.

Sadly, this series doesn't have as big of an impact on me because I have seen a lot of this before and I have kind of moved on. When I saw Doctor Who in 2011, I remember my friend introducing me to it, and watching five episodes in a row and just being fascinated and excited by every episode. I am sure that someone, somewhere, is discovering the show with this series, and for them its amazing, but it just can't be that way for me.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Nardole also seems to have his personality upgraded, in the specials he was in, he seemed to be a comic relief character, and now he seems to have this serious mission to get the Doctor to behave.

Maybe Nardole and The Doctor have switched places? Maybe The Master and Nardole have switched places?

:tinfoil:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
While watching this, I thought that in atmosphere and execution, this was one of the most engrossing Doctor Who stories since Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

Yes, I know that this plot has been used before, I know that there are holes in the plot, but while watching it, I totally believed it and really felt like I was as scared and confused as the characters. I don't know what makes an episode immersive like that, but this one did it for me.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Cleretic posted:

So something has occurred to me.We're 6/13 episodes in, with the next episode following on directly from this one, with the same enemies.

Is this the longest a season has gone without an episode on ANY recurring staple enemy? We've had small appearances by the Daleks and Missy, but they were both ancillary to the actual focus of the story. With the very debatable exception of Smile ('rogue colony ship AI' even if not the same ones) and Thin Ice (if you want to count 'man' as a race), every antagonist has been a new thing.

Of Modern Who or Classic Who?

Classic Who wasn't really as big on recurring enemies as people remember it to be. I think Modern Who was based more on an image of Doctor Who than of what was really going on in those episodes.

For example, the 3rd Doctor and the 4th Doctor, together, over ten years, only fought the Daleks 5 times.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I just remembered that Castrolvalva was basically a story about simulations deciding that they are real, too.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Compared to other things on Doctor Who, I didn't find the idea of a series of coincidences leading to released contamination unrealistic. The idea that a bacteria could kill everything on earth was a stretch, but mechanical or human error leading to a widespread catastrophe is not that odd of an idea. A highly lethal virus escaping from a research lab seems a likely enough idea.

Here is a list of times when the world came close to nuclear war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls#1950s

There have been a number of times when technical and human error almost led to nuclear war. The scenario in the episode seems likely enough for a science fiction story.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Burkion posted:

It grates on me because I don't want the Doctor to be this big important hot shot who the whole universe knows and fears.

It works best when he's just this gently caress off adventurer who happens to run into problems he has to deal with by the skin of his teeth and grace of wit and courage.

That way he can roll up on unsuspecting morons and clown them. Like that's most of what makes Tomb of the Cybermen so great. No one knows who the Doctor is, and he plays along with the maniacal dickhead's ego mania just long enough to give him enough material to mock and belittle him for.

Or like, all of the Third Doctor's tenure, where he's discounted as just the science adviser by the Generals who are corrupt as hell.

The only people he should be able to get a reaction from are the Daleks or the Time Lords, but mostly the Daleks. When everyone is kissing the Doctor's feet, it's just kind of poo poo.

Like a lot that Moffat does, the Doctor being bragadocious is one of those things that is frosting. Its fun, its a nice treat, its special the first time you have it...and then it becomes really old as a primary diet.

The Doctor's "largest library in the universe, look me up" line? "Even monsters have nightmares"? Those were kind of zingy lines. The speech at Stonehenge was also pretty good. But that was...five years ago? The entire reason it was appealing is that the Doctor usually acts so quiet. If his normal character is "Mr. Tough Stuff", it defeats the purpose.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

n4 posted:

I don't really understand why Missy is becoming good/having regrets about being evil/etc. I'd assume it's an act but the Doctor seems to take it seriously. Did I miss something that led to her change of heart? It kinda just seems like she said she would be to bargain with the Doctor and for some reason she's sincerely having a change of heart but that doesn't make any sense.

I might be remembering my Classic Who wrong, but The Master being completely evil and insane is mostly only the John Simm Master. The Master that fought with the Third Doctor was more of a swashbuckling prankster, not a total sociopath. So the idea that The Master could be capable of some type of remorse is not totally out of character.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Astroman posted:

Well they were progressive enough to have a black soldier, so they weren't all bad! :v:

Like was that actually a thing? Really? I get that Moffat doesn't want to be racist and not cast people of color in any particular role, and he wants to show people of color that they aren't left out. I also get ok, maybe there could have been a random black family in a medieval village who somehow traveled thousands of miles in the 10th century to Britain, and there could have been black people and Indians in a cosmopolitan capital of an empire like 19th century London. But at some point isn't he doing a disservice showing something that absolutely would never have happened? Or did it? Were there black soldiers serving with whites in Queen Victoria's army, like the 20 or so black Confederates people manage to dredge up to "prove" the South wasn't racist? I mean, the black Roman soldier in next week's preview seems more historically plausible. :shrug:

It seems a long way off from acknowledging the bad parts of our history, which the show didn't shy from in Human Nature, or Remembrance of the Daleks.

Stuff like this and the female pope just seem like Moffat saying "Hey, look, it turns out people were actually totally progressive and open minded in history, it was just hidden from the historical record by evil cishistorians! Everything was totally cool!"

A couple of years ago, I was reading an article about some high school students in Montana who were painting a mural of early cowboys, and about three out of the ten cowboys were black. And I was thinking "okay, inclusiveness is nice, but this is rural Montana, so this is going a bit far". Then I saw that it was based on a photograph, and that the people in the photograph were indeed racially diverse.
So sometimes it is stretched a little bit for dramatic effect, but in general, lots of times in the past were more racially diverse than they are portrayed. Or the original portrayals were forgotten by histories. In the original stories, there are black people sailing with Odyssey and Muslims in King Arthur's court. A little bit of diversity might be a stretch, but it isn't enough to make me suspend my disbelief. I actually had more problems with trying to reconcile the lack of discipline and good military tactics amongst the soldiers than I did with the presence of a single black soldier.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I'm liking these stories being kind of quiet and understated.

Notice how little the Doctor did in this episode: no big speeches, no timey-wimey balls, no zaniness. He basically tried to talk sense into people and failed. He was mostly just along for the ride.

I know it probably goes against what the BBC is trying to do in terms of demographic appeal, but I wouldn't mind going back to really slow-paced Classic episodes. This story makes me wish it was a Pertwee six part serial. I yearn for that type of boredom.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Well, if there is any plot hole:

The Colonel was hung, unsuccessfully, for desertion, right? How did he get back in charge of a regiment? Even if he survived the hanging, and (as I understand it) they considered that the end of the death penalty, how did he get another regiment? Wouldn't he have been discharged from the army? So they took him down from the rope and was like "well, you survived, how would you like to command a regiment?"

Like, the black soldier might have been a little ahistorical, but it seems like something that could have happened, but I don't see the line between the guy getting hanged and then getting another command.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

CityMidnightJunky posted:

42 is astonishing in that I have definitely watched it, possibly more than once, but it is so aggressively unmemorable that it has completely dropped out of my head, to the point where if I do a series watch through, I'll constantly be surprised it exists and then forget it again immediately afterwards. The whole episode has a perception filter on it.

42 is interesting because it is done in "real time", that is what I remember about it, also Martha texts her mother to ask about The Beatles versus Elvis. And the Doctor is mad that people don't do recreational math anymore.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
That episode had nothing spectacular about it, but was a solid episode.

No attempts to change the status quo, no meta elements and no faking out the audience. No extraneous pop culture tie-ins or trying to be hip, either.

It was a nice corridor crawl/monster of the week episode, with just enough nice dialog and trickery by the Doctor, and a few thought-provoking comments about society, but nothing shoved down our throat.

Even the stuff at the end with Missy didn't overshadow the episode.

I could go for three years of episodes like this one.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Namtab posted:

I hate this

What do you hate about it? The meta elements or the campiness?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Wow. I hope this doesn't sound too uncritically fannish, but that episode had everything. Its on my list of favorite episodes, ever.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a general/subjective question: is the season worth watching? For some reason I didn't get the urge to start watching when the season started, this time.

Its my favorite season of the revival, I think.

Its "mediocre" in the best possible way, like it isn't full of mind bending twists or stellar conceptual episode, but every episode makes sense and is well-executed.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Something no one has mentioned yet:

The Doctor's haircut in the cold open is noticeably longer than in the episode. How much time separates the two?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Kind of obvious guess that I haven't heard mentioned yet:

The next episode is called "The Doctor Falls". They are on a 400 mile long spaceship, what if the next episode is him falling through the spaceship?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
What do you think Missy's arc is going to be like?

I don't think it is going to be straight redemption, or only her being totally evil. I think it might settle into her being kind of an amoral trickster, or kind of a sinister but not evil mastermind.

Really kind of returning it to the status quo of the Master's first season.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Plavski posted:

I really hope Big Finish get the license to do Twelfth Doctor stories. I will happily listen to Capaldi's voice until the end of time itself.

Audio recording and voice acting have to be a pretty sweet deal for actors in general. I don't know if they literally get to shoot in their pyjamas, but they don't have to go on location, or spend hours in makeup and wardrobe, wait for lighting and sets, etc. I mean, I am sure the pay and exposure are a lot lower, but it seems like it would be a bit more creative and low-pressure.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I imagine that any ship that was close enough to have that amount of time dilation across decks would be torn apart by tidal forces in under a second, but:

1. The ship has a Structural Inertia Field that holds it together against acceleration
2. The blackhole is made of quark matter and is emitting non-polarized gravitinos
3. Doctor Who isn't a hard science fiction show

I think that they did a good job at taking a basic scientific concept and turning it into a story idea, even if the math and engineering didn't quite work out.

The black hole scenario in the movie Interstellar had a Kip Thorne, a physicist from CalTech go over it and decide it actually could work, but even then they had to use a lot of spherical cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)#Wormholes_and_black_holes

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Cojawfee posted:

It will probably just be Missy sitting up and saying "I remember a long time ago, I shot a strange woman, so I took precautions" or something like that. Though I don't know how she would have remembered being shoved up against a wall and being told pick a new dematerializer whatsit when The Master shouldn't have remembered anything due to the timelines being out of sync.

Yeah, even without directly remembering it, the Master/Mistress is a little too smart to turn her back on herself. The Master has come back from being turned into ashes, I don't think that a little blast that leaves a pretty corpse is going to prevent a regeneration or from them just hopping up and walking away.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Halfway through the episode, the Doctor stumbles and a little bit of regeneration energy glows in his hand.

So the Doctor had an injury bad enough to make him start regenerating, even before the final blow? What was going on? How far back in this season was he regenerating? Is this important?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, and after that is when he started quoting previous incarnations and pulling out the old jelly babies.

I actually didn't make the connection yet...its kind of hard to tell, because all the Doctors will occasionally mention things they liked in their past regenerations.

Is there a list of all the past regenerations quoted or referenced?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

LividLiquid posted:

This is super great.

Moffat already said the Bill/Heather thing was a coincidence, but... was it? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Right before Missy leaves with the Master, her and the Doctor hold hands and look at each other. I took it that something was being passed hand to hand, possibly the dematerialization circuit, but it didn't come up again? I kind of suspect that they were passing "regeneration energy" to another, or something similar. It certainly looked like something.

• Locked thread