Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is pretty neat and very well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7WhSMmwtF0

It's Babelcolour doing profiles of some of the people who were nearly cast as The Doctor, and they splice in actual roles with footage from the show to make it appear as if these were actual alternate timeline Doctor Who episodes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Same. :(

Jerusalem posted:

So better late than never, he introduces her to the TARDIS and we get our first sight of the brand new console room, and I still think it's a wonderful and pretty thing even if it is a bit full on with the "whimsy".

I think as much as I like the current console room, Matt Smith's first one may be my all time favorite. It's a shame they had the production difficulties with it and had to change it out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't watched that version but I understand Baker himself wasn't completely satisfied with his portrayal of Holmes.

(I think Jeremy Brett would've been a good Doctor at any point in the classic run really.)

So is it Tom Baker starring as Tom Baker in "Tom Baker and the Hound of the Baskervilles"?

Because if so, that's must see tv! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Flight Bisque posted:

I can't believe the season finale plot has leaked, via a 51 year old coloring book of all things.

http://skittishlibrary.co.uk/doctor-travels-space-1966/

The leader of those guys may be friendly, but his right hand man is having none of it. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, Nardole was great. And was that the 3rd Doctor's sonic he had in the Dalek base (with the Movellans :swoon: )

They should have hid the spoiler about the Mondasian Cybermen better, and hyped up that a "previously unseen Classic Series Monster would be returning" so that everyone would melt down thinking it was just a 20 second Movellan cameo with the Rick James wigs in the first ep.

Also I'm not sure about Class. It's less childish than SJA, but it lacks Sarah Jane, and it seems very CW/high schoolish. The Doctor's plan seems a bit rubbish--Coal Hill School (which has apparently been totally rebuilt) is a magnet for monsters and invasions due to artron energy, so he puts a bunch of kids in charge of fighting alien invasions there. What happens when they graduate in 2-3 years? Also the alien teacher lady looks disconcertingly like Liz Shaw and it keeps throwing me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Bill asks if she (the ship/puddle) is still out there, and the Doctor replies vaguely that he doesn't think so.

Yeah, that was a very handwavey thing, on par with the Doctor telling Rose that Captain Jack was probably fine, somewhere out there, let's just move on! :haw: Which of course means nothing of the sort.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

I feel the Monk has been addressed enough in the audios that he can be let alone by the show. Quite frankly it's the same for Susan--any attempt to bring them back might conflict with the audios to the point of de-canonizing certain aspects of Big Finish again. Chibnall may not necessarily be as much of a BF nerd as Steven Moffat or RTD and give them the same respect. Quite frankly if I was Nick Briggs I'd be a bit worried about my access to the show going forward. I know the overall licensing is handled by the BBC, but let's not pretend that the showrunner doesn't have a huge influence, if in nothing but writing the tv show which will always take precedence. It may be of note that unlike Moffat and RTD, Chibnall has never written for the novels, short stories, or Big Finish--or as far as we know read/listened to them (unlike Moffat and RTD who clearly consumed them in the Wilderness Years). We can't question his Doctor Who bonafides in general, as he's the iconic old school fan from the DWAS era, but I haven't heard anything about his opinions on spin off media.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ganger post

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I already know what's going to be in the vault: disappointment.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Why is a girl getting fat a bad thing? Do people not get fat in England?

Google "Health At Every Size" and "fat acceptance movement", then come back.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nardole is thick. He's from the future and familiar with the technology, but he's not smart. That give the Doctor someone to be smart at, without Bill having to be dumb.

Right now Nardole is light comic relief, but he could develop into more than a Tin Dog character if he got his own episode in the future, maybe some double act stuff with Bill where he's shown as competent. The best thing is that he's from the future, so it could scratch the itch a lot of us have to see a Companion besides people from the present.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Michael Grade

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When she was talking really fast during the interview it was a bit tough, yeah. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Marmaduke! posted:

I guess Happiness Patrols are a recurring problem in the future!

I noticed that too. I'm glad we both noticed it!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

Aren't we forgetting someone?

Anybody who wants to drat Capaldi for putting so much of his own personality and hobbies into the role needs to step back a second and remember Sly. The spoons and a lot of his physical comedy were straight out of his act that he dd before the show where he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Prequel to the season finale with Missy and the Mondasian Cybermen is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmKk2eCfu0

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

If they hadn't been able to trick Barry the Silence into saying,"You should kill us all on sight!" the back-up plan was to get the Silence to demand everybody forget who Harriet Jones* was, since the human mind wouldn't be able to process that impossible command.

* Former Prime Minister

We know who she is.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They should do some black and white versions of the episodes to kick it Classic Who style. like the special B&W airing of The Walking Dead first ep.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Well, Rory DID punch Hitler.

Well of course, he's rubbish!

echoplex posted:

The bridge at the start of the ep was actually a recreation of a bridge over the Thames that no longer exists, and there's only a few etchings of it in existence. We had to dial it back a bit/lot (the section we made is about 1/3rd scale and not as curved), but, still. Our Production Designer knows everything about architecture past. He has books he gives us for reference which are legit 1850s first editions with architectural drawings to copy. A lot didn't make the edit, but we did recreate a lot of stuff from the real Frost Fair - gingerbread wrapping, the souvenir mugs, the commemorative prints etc.

While I know it's several decades before the Victorian era, the sets did a great job of capturing the vibe of 1800s London that I hear on Big Finish on stories like The Haunting of Thomas Brewster or Jago and Litefoot. It was like I was seeing on screen what I'd pictured of the foggy underbelly of London from the audios with the river, urchins, etc. Great job!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cleretic posted:

That's kind of a matter of 'stopped clock is right twice a day'. His horribly exploitative and barbaric fuel manufactory happened to produce a fuel better than coal, especially for what we know about coal now, but that wasn't why he was doing it.

Not only that, to be fair the people who were working in the mines chose to work there and could in theory not do so (yes their opportunities weren't great but still...). Not so much the people who were at a fair on the ice expecting to have a good time and not randomly die.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/860041491582001153

So they're finally giving Tom a full-time audio-exclusive companion.

I'm honestly a bit shocked it hadn't happened already, given BF's proclivity for such things.

Also tre cool: they're making plans for new T Bakes audios for 2 years out. :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I dunno, but I did have a dream last night that the 7th Doctor showed up for Capaldi's finale ep. It was pretty cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

It doesn't work on wood.

I dunno, they weren't wood, they were bugs. Besides, it's high pitched sounds, and that's mainly what a sonic screwdriver is for. :shrug:

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's the SImm Master in the vault. At first with the zany piano playing over the idea of "dead young people" I saw Missy, but then I thought that it would make sense for the Doctor to go out of his way to keep the Simm Master locked up if he ran across him. Imagine he meets Missy, knowing she's some future regeneration of The Master who escaped Gallifrey and Rassilon; then runs across the Simm Master unregenerated and knowing nothing about the fact that there's another version of himself gadding about the 12th Doctor's timeline? He'd lock him up in a secure vault and sequester him forthwith until he figured out what to do and stop them from teaming up!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

This thread is my favorite place to talk about Doctor Who by far

Same. There is no place this cool for DW anywhere else. :colbert:

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7ZcyXWYHY
In which Nardole learns a very important lesson about listening to the Doctor

I am really looking forward to seeing Nardole get out of the office!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Guys I've got something to tell you. It's me.

That's gotta be the coolest thing, to stand there in the Console Room!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some other names who have recently come up include Luke Treadaway (who was in A Street Cat Named Bob) and Sacha Dhawan (who already has a connection to Doctor Who - he played Waris Hussein, the programme's very first director, in An Adventure In Space and Time). Either could be interesting.

I dunno nothin' bout Treadaway, though he seems very "Tennant Clone" and looks very young. Though after Smith, Tennant, and Davison I should learn to not bitch about that (so long as they aren't 22). Dhawan was very solid in Adventure in Space and Time so I'd lean towards wanting him.

More interesting is how will the Doctor be played? We had young and exuberant with Tennant, and they started that way with Smith but then he rapidly moved towards the characterization of "Old, Worldy Man In Young Man's Body" and doubled down on it as the years went by. Capaldi is very old and curmudgeonly.

I'd like to see someone who doesn't have a chip on his shoulder either way, not being old and grumpy or trying to hard to be young and zany. Maybe a solid action guy like Pertwee or Eccleston. Or more avuncular like The Bakers.

I think I could do for once without some overall mystery for the whole season. Do we really need some arc which is dribbled out over 10 episodes with "SUPER SECRET HINTS" AND "MYSTERIOUS PERSONS IN THE SHADOWS"? How about just The Doctor running around exploring and blowing up dictators and fighting/saving monsters at random? The big mystery arcs were very RTD and Moffat, so perhaps Chibnall will do something different, though perhaps not since Broadchurch was basically That: The Series.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sad King Billy posted:

I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

What if they're blue?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

Well you went out with a bang--the spacestation graphics were gorgeous!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, Volume Two: The Smug Year

As much as I'd love to see another Donna series, I am willing to give it a go to see if Big Finish can rehabilitate Rose the same way they did Mel.

AndyElusive posted:

Well we know Tennant likes BF. Jury is still out on Matt Smith!

Smith was interviewed the past year saying he'd absolutely be up for it, but they haven't asked him yet. I assume there's some sort of sunset clause in the BBC/BF agreement that it has to be either so many years after a Doctor steps down or until his successor steps down before a current series Doctor can do audios. Which means most likely we'll see 11th Doctor Full Cast with Matt Smith in 2018.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

No I'm not gonna loving review that Tenth Doctor/Rose audio thing. Don't ask

Just think what you're missing out on!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's a good twist for the younger members of the audience. I don't think it's too patronising or anything to spell it out like that when you have younger viewers in mind.

I suspect that if I was wee and watched this episode I would've been pretty impressed when the screen went black and the Doctor said, "I'm still blind!" :shrug:

"LOOK AT ME!"

"I CAN'T, I'M DIFFERENTLY ABLED!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That makes me wonder why BF hasn't gotten TBakes to do some "Great Curator" audios of the 28th Doctor or whatever...

Bicyclops posted:

The real question is how come computer Third Doctor didn't figure all this out during the UNIT years (the simulation is imprecise enough that it could have been the 70s or 80s).

Mike Yates: 39! 1,000! 4,967! Haha. Look, I know that when I eat this steak, the shadow game is just telling an NPC that it's juicy and delicious. Ignorance is bliss! Look, zombie-face, when you put me back in your little game, I want to be someone important... like a Brigadier.

More important...how did everyone not pick the same lottery numbers? :aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Full-body incineration probably would kill the Doctor for good, as there wouldn't be anything left to Regenerate

True. He's a Time Lord, not Captain Jack! :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Burkion posted:

I was watching with a goon friend of mine, Seer235, and commented that it's a shame the bad guys aren't immune to bullets anymore. The Brigadier would have been so much happier if he had to deal with these chucklefucks.

"Zombie chap, 5 rounds rapid!"

n4 posted:

I don't really understand why Missy is becoming good/having regrets about being evil/etc. I'd assume it's an act but the Doctor seems to take it seriously. Did I miss something that led to her change of heart? It kinda just seems like she said she would be to bargain with the Doctor and for some reason she's sincerely having a change of heart but that doesn't make any sense.

It's a trick, but the Doctor wants to believe because of their lifelong frenemy history.

SimplyCosmic posted:

While likely not even considered by the writer, I thought it a bit awkward that the Doctor's not very subtle speech about choosing safety via fascism was directed at a gay woman of color. I mean, if Bill was an old, white male, it'd be more appropriate.

Yes, because literally only old white men could ever choose fascism.

TinTower posted:

Romana burned through four regenerations in the space of ten minutes, I seem to remember.

Actually RTD and Moffat have sorta retconned this with both 10 and 11 using regeneration energy to heal themselves and restore youth and vitality for a limited time before the actual regeneration--it establishes the idea that there's a plasticity to regeneration during the moment, which would have allowed Romana to "try on" a few different bodies before settling on one without "wasting" regenerations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

The regeneration energy thing; Was the room Bill shot The Doctor in the same room he was broadcasting propaganda from? Because if so then all they needed for it to make sense was for one of the soldiers to say "And the feed is cut" immediately after he starts to "regenerate" before he reveals it was a fakeout for it to make some kind of sense. The room is wired for picture and sound, the doctor spewing regeneration energy would sell "the doctor was killed" to the monks if they were monitoring the room. Of course, if they know about regeneration then they'd also know that the doctor wasnt actually dead (even if Bill had actually shot him), but it makes a little more sense to me that way. Of course, he didnt then use the fact that the monks might think he was dead (or at least had a different face) in his plan at all, but I wonder if in an earlier draft it was a plot point that got cut or something.

At the end of the day, the regeneration fake out was entirely for the audience. Not much more to it than that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, but just a reminder that Robot of Sherwood is objectively good and anybody who disagrees is wrong and a jerk.

Yeah, who the hell doesn't like Robot of Sherwood? That ep owns bones. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McCoy had some really wierd, but really ambitious stories in his run. JNT tried to reinvent the show after the offscreen issues and ratings declines of the Colin era, and you had a lot of new blood with Cartmel and other young writers. It was a great burst of creativity at the end of that era that probably would have been normalized out into mediocrity had the show gone on a few more years.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I liked the episode, but someone is salty about their colonial past, lol. Colonialism is bad, and also every single member of the victorian armed forces was greedy, cowardly, foolish, and generally a lousy person. With the accidental discharge and casual mutiny, they weren't even good at being soldiers. They were cartoonish.

It was so unnecessary. The soldiers could have been competent people like the soldiers in Time of the Angels, and still run into the same problem of cultural misunderstanding. There is no reason the queen had to be awoken by a guy planning to steal anything he could carry and then abandon his mates taking the only means of transportation.

Well they were progressive enough to have a black soldier, so they weren't all bad! :v:

Like was that actually a thing? Really? I get that Moffat doesn't want to be racist and not cast people of color in any particular role, and he wants to show people of color that they aren't left out. I also get ok, maybe there could have been a random black family in a medieval village who somehow traveled thousands of miles in the 10th century to Britain, and there could have been black people and Indians in a cosmopolitan capital of an empire like 19th century London. But at some point isn't he doing a disservice showing something that absolutely would never have happened? Or did it? Were there black soldiers serving with whites in Queen Victoria's army, like the 20 or so black Confederates people manage to dredge up to "prove" the South wasn't racist? I mean, the black Roman soldier in next week's preview seems more historically plausible. :shrug:

It seems a long way off from acknowledging the bad parts of our history, which the show didn't shy from in Human Nature, or Remembrance of the Daleks.

Stuff like this and the female pope just seem like Moffat saying "Hey, look, it turns out people were actually totally progressive and open minded in history, it was just hidden from the historical record by evil cishistorians! Everything was totally cool!"

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 11, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It's the problem any fictional work not explicitly about race has if it takes place before, oh, 1970. You want to be accurate for the time, but you can't exactly tell casting 'whites only'.

Why not? Are there diversity quotas for BBC historical programs now? Is it just with British historical representation? I can't remember, but does anyone recall if any of Ashildr's fellow Vikings were black?

I just don't understand how it's racism to portray actual, real historical racism. It's denying lovely history to protect modern feelings and it does a disservice to kids who will watch and think everything in the past was OK.

On the other hand if it's researched and legit, good on them. I did spend some time looking, and there isn't a lot about black soldiers in the Victorian Army--in fact there's nothing I can find. There's stuff about all black overseas native units, black soldiers in the American Revolution on both sides, WWI, WWII, and the Napoleonic War (with one cryptic sentence about how blacks served alongside whites in the regular army until the mid 19th century). Nothing about the Victorian era, which I would kneejerk suspect was more racist but I'd be interested in knowing more.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

No it isn't. The idea is that the fantastical elements are easily distinguishable from the realistic ones, so as we can more easily spot what's supposed to be there and what isn't. I spent the entire episode expecting the other shoe to drop about that guy but he was just... an ordinary soldier? Who was black? It worked with my expectations, based on what I know about the time period, to set up something that the episode wasn't actually going to do.

They even played with it in a cheeky way, when the white soldier brought the sergeant a drink and the black soldier was like "What about me?" and you expect it to be a race thing, but oh haha no, it's because the sergeant outranks him lol there was no discrimination in history! :haw:

Much better than pesky social commentary I guess.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

I've seen plenty of people On Line watch/play/read things with discrimination in them and say they don't want to see that sort of thing in escapist fiction because they see enough of it in real life

On the other hand it can educate people without being heavy handed. As an American I'm hyperaware of race and race relations history here, but it was pretty eye opening to see the "No Coloureds" sign in Remembrance of the Daleks. "Oh wait, they had the same issues in the 60s? poo poo." :(

You don't have to make the episode about it but it seems unwise to candycoat it. Especially a couple episodes after the "history is a whitewash" line.

It's also an "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" moment when 5 years ago I would have probably gotten into an argument with social justice types about them wanting more race and social justice commentary in Doctor Who and them calling me a racist for not wanting it so much. Now I'm racist for wanting historical racism acknowledged because it hurts the feelings of modern audiences and actors. :psyduck:

But times change I guess. In the 70s we could have penis shaped aliens in their full glory; now it's an eye on a blurry viewscreen! :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Anyway, I'm interested to see what Rona Munro's episode is like.

Straight up sequel to Survival.

:boom:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It'll be months before someone is able to assemble a worse block of words.

Hey now, we're only a few weeks away from the finale. Have some faith!

Sad King Billy posted:

That picture seems to represent nationalities from across the empire, there are quite a few different types of people represented there.

Yeah, I'd be the first to gladly say "I stand corrected!" but there were always West Indian/Indian regiments. Did they serve with the YT's, that's the still unanswered question.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Strong rumors that they've explicitly been searching for a "David Tennant-type".

Honestly, I'd be fine with this for a regeneration or two, because what Moffat did with Capaldi was show us the Doctor still can be old and gruff after 2 young quirky Doctors. Because he can, he now doesn't have to be.

I will go on the record and say that I still am overall happy with The Moffat Era. It had some missteps, and I think the guy is a bit of an egomaniac, but there were a lot of pluses: he's a fan, but also a talented producer and showrunner so he could do perfect continuity and fanservice while appealing to a mass international audience which keeps the show on the air. He "gets" Doctor Who and what it's supposed to say. His run for the 50th was great and pretty much exactly what I wanted to see. He's been hugely supportive of Big Finish and keeping them in canon. Basically he built on all the great stuff RTD did.

While Chibnall is a bit of an unknown quantity he's still "family"--a long term Doctor Who nerd who is now a teevee professional in line with RTD, Moffat, Tennant, Capaldi, and Gatiss. So unless he has some radical crazy ideas for changing the show, he'll probably do a lot of what Moffat did, which is check off the list of the stuff he always wanted to do on Doctor Who since age 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The designs for 13's first companion "Handles Mk II" sure are different!

• Locked thread