Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Well have I got a surprise in store for you this Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That was really very good. Much better than I expected and I was already expecting it to be good. I wonder what's behind that door, though? I'm sure it'll be revealed in either Extremis or the finale.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm thinking that this episode has also given a way to write Bill out of the show when the time comes, which is actually fairly impressive all told. Also I have a theory on what is going on with the monster of this episode, but I'm not sure if I should share.

Go ahead.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Eight's TV Movie/Night of the Doctor sonic was there. I think there's only one copy of the Big Finish sonic and I don't think the BBC have the rights to it (I think the model-maker owns the design).

Also, there hasn't been a second series of Class yet.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5 had a seven episode run before the Silurian 2-parter!

It also had The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks in the first three which are both pretty bad.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My opinions of the Matt Smith era probably aren't the most popular given that I hate a lot of his more well-regarded stories (e.g. The Beast Below, A Christmas Carol, Rings of Akhaten).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Multi master story. Do it, Moffat. Pull the trigger and get Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi in there too. I want to see Gomez :smug: it up with an army of herself behind her.

Don't read this if you've specifically been avoiding trailers and stuff.

You know that a multi-Master story has already been confirmed this series, right?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

I always have to laugh whenever anyone asks the Doctor something like that

Mostly because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

YES

YES

YES HE HAS

He has killed SO many people

Although very entertaining some of these videos are a bit misleading. They have clips from Resurrection of the Daleks and The Seeds of Death where the Doctor threatens someone with a gun but never uses it, scenes where he's using a gun on animals (The Talons of Weng-Chiang) or inanimate objects (The Face of Evil), and a lot of scenes where's he's hitting people but not killing them (The Web of Fear, The Green Death).

His pacifism is inconsistent and not always characterised in the same way but I think it's fair to say that even in the classic series the Doctor at least tried to be non-violent most of the time.

e: There's also quite a lot of moments that are about as violent as in the new series, like killing Cybermen with emotion (The Invasion and in the new series in The Age of Steel) or just straight up exploding Daleks (pretty much anything that has Daleks in it, notably Dalek and Journey's End).

cargohills fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 1, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't like this quote. How would the Doctor possibly count how many children where on Gallifrey that day?

Also, he's in action would only result in the Daleks slaughtering them all any way and then going on to destroy even more of the universe.

It's such a creatively bankrupt dilemma.

What dilemma?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Mary's Story has one of my favourite closing lines in Doctor Who: "Remember - Frankenstein is the name of the monster, and not the name of the Doctor."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that. Your mileage may vary as I think the Matt Smith era just after RTD left was the high water mark.

I really don't get this. Maybe it's nostalgia but I honestly think Series 1 is at the very least in my top 3 favourite seasons of the show. It very much feels like something from 2005 but if you're a Doctor Who fan with no patience for the inadequacies of old TV I would think you'd hate most of the original run as well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That bit did feel a bit weird, yeah. Maybe it wouldn't if it he was extending his own life too but as it is it doesn't quite work.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

The fact that David is willing to come back makes 10's inclusion in the Chronicles line even more baffling to me.

Presumably they want as many new series stories as they can do and having David Tennant around once a year to record 3 hours worth of stories is not ideal, especially compared to how 4 through 8 record loads.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not entirely sure what those percentages are supposed to represent.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how many are adapted War Doctor stories, changed after the tragic news? :(

If that's the case I hope they're of a higher quality than most of what was actually in those box sets. Apart from Infernal Devices they're not really very good and even that had one dud out of only three stories.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Keisse J posted:

(trailer "spoiler") so... Ice Warriors episode with the Cybermen musical motif in the next time trailer. that's... well, they've got me curious at least

I've got a feeling that's just because the trailer guys aren't really familiar with what themes mean what.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Forktoss posted:

The new season is alright and all, but in more important matters, I have a continuity question about The Two Masters BFA. There's a flashback that takes place on Terserus, and it's revealed that it was the MacQueen Master who fried his earlier self into the Pratt/Beevers corpse form and called in Chancellor Goth, leading into The Deadly Assassin. The thing is, I always thought that Pratt and Beevers were supposed to be a melting Delgado, but in the audio it's just Beevers even before he's corpsified. Did I misunderstand something, or are BF saying that there's a straight-up, not-undead Geoffrey Beevers incarnation in between Delgado and Pratt? Is there precedence for this somewhere? I've just assumed that Delgado -> Pratt was pretty widely accepted as what happened.

Spoilers for Big Finish: One of the novels I think has Delgado being melted and turned into the crispy incarnation but both Big Finish and the Doctor Who magazine comic have Delgado and Pratt/Beevers as two separate incarnations (see below if you don't mind the DWM spoiler). There's nothing in the actual TV series to suggest that Delgado and Pratt/Beevers are the same incarnation, as the 13 regeneration limit wasn't actually mentioned until Pratt's appearance in The Deadly Assassin. I personally much prefer the BF/DWM view that Delgado and Pratt/Beevers are different people, as I think their portrayals are too far apart to adequately explain them as all the same incarnation. (There's also the problem that neither Pratt nor Beevers even slightly sound or look like Delgado.)

In Big Finish there's more than just The Two Masters that suggests they're separate incarnations - in Mastermind the Master is significantly less crispy and just straight-up has Geoffrey Beever's face on the cover.

Spoilers for Doctor Who Magazine: In a recent 12th Doctor comic featuring the Delgado Master he regenerates into an unknown incarnation at the end, placing him as the 12th at most and Pratt/Beevers definitively as the 13th Master.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing televised I can recall, there was a recent War Doctor audio from Big Finish which covers the Sontarans trying to force their way into the Time War while the Time Lords and Daleks try to ignore them. On TV in the first revival appearance of the Sontarans they do complain about being left out of the Time War.

There's Daleks and Sontarans in Dark Eyes 4 as well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I accidentally got spoiled on Alpha Centauri by Twitter but thought it sounded like a load of bollocks until I saw the episode. Wow.

One of Mark Gatiss' best, by the way. Not quite on the same level as The Unquiet Dead or The Crimson Horror but a pretty close third.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Maybe the soldiers were just nice and mostly non-racist. Maybe they're incredibly racist to him off-screen. Maybe the RHIP scene was a coded race thing. Or maybe a black person can be in a piece of fiction set in the past and have it not be about racism?

If you're really desperate you can make up some reasoning for it however you like, but it doesn't matter one bit.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Making the main character of Doctor Who someone other than Doctor Who for any length of time seems like quite a bad idea.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

RoboJoe posted:

My amazing theory is that Missy is actually a past incarnation of the Master - the one before Derek Jacobi. John Simms turns up to tell Missy she is poo poo and he's sickened by her new nice attitude, he kills her and she regenerates into Derek Jacobi who is then taken by John Simms, brainwashed, and dumped into the far future.

That won't happen as Big Finish are doing a "War Master" series with Jacobi, and they tend to coordinate with the BBC.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it was saying "monster", because the monster was approaching.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They're both good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

The original intention was definitely that he was the Delgado Master, trying desperately to cling to life because it was his last regeneration.

I see this thrown about but is there anything that proves this to be the case?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

He pretty well says it. I think the Doctor makes a comment on it too. The Master was on his last regeneration, was mortally wounded, but through sheer hate and malice refused to die. So he became a living corpse.

I know he's on his last regeneration as Pratt/Beevers but as far as I can tell there's nothing that points to Delgado being the 13th Master too.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

The Last Adventure is total loving garbage, don't bother.

This almost makes me want to listen to it more, but I think I'll keep my £17.50. UNIT: Dominion it is! I'll also be grabbing Auld Mortality, Full Fathom Five and A Storm of Angels, from the Unbound range, as I've already got Sympathy for the Devil, Deadline and Masters of War.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

That is a darn good set of Big Finish stories, and, thankfully, you're skipping the one Very Bad story from the Unbound line.

The fun thing about this is from what I know of them I'm not 100% sure if you mean Exile or He Jests at Scars. I'm leaning towards the former...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Phil Sandifer, of overlong Doctor Who blog fame, made a good point that the character played by Richard Hurndall and David Bradley - "the First Doctor" - was never really played by William Hartnell, except for in The Three Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

We kinda drifted past this topic, but last night I was talking to my dad - an old school Doctor Who fan who didn't like Tennant or Smith very much - and he told me that he basically skipped the last few seasons because he didn't like Capaldi. I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way, but it was really interesting to have a counter-example to the notion that it's only teenage girls craving a Sexy Doctor who didn't like Capaldi.

If he doesn't like Tennant, or Smith, or Capaldi, I feel like there's a better explanation for that than anything really specific to any of them.

• Locked thread