Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

Briggs' 9 has improved since the Destiny of the Doctor release he did...but his Rose is rather terrible.

It's so bad I didn't even think I heard Rose in the clip. Am I missing something that obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard a "Doctor! Help me!" in there

Edit: right around the 50 second mark

I thought that was supposed to be someone else. If that's Rose, wow - just wow.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Vastra isn't an alien. :colbert:

I get what you're going for, but technically she would be "foreign" to Humans, and Moffat certainly is obsessed with his Paternoster Gang...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Based on a few "How to Make Doctor Who Great Again?" articles I've read, I get the feeling there's a wee bit of a consensus among critics and commentators that Capaldi's age has counted against the show. I don't know if that's borne out by facts (because the only other people I know who like the show are all adults) but it would be a real shame if it was true. :(

I really hope that's just the "tumblr demographic" consensus but I've heard much the same thing with regard to merchandising and all this talk about the "Tennant glory days". Don't get me wrong, I love Tennant, but I think the Smith / Moffat era was a drastic improvement, even with all the Moffat-isms and convoluted timey-wimey bullshit that it became wrapped up in.

So yes, if we go the younger Doctor route I'm OK with it, but the attitude needs to stay the same as it evolved into with Capaldi's characterization of The Doctor. He's an ancient alien who tries to understand humans, but thinks we're immature and stupid but loves us in spite of it all.

Edit: Basically I want a BF Davison styled younger Doctor with modern Who trappings. He's universe-weary but still has the youthful enthusiasm.

McGann fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 12, 2017

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

Here's the 'problem' with Capaldi's age.

He's rarely written for his own strengths. Any time they start up the whimsy bullshit, it never rings true with him. He is a very intense man, whether he is being dramatic, funny, serious, whatever

Yeah, this makes sense to me. I think that Into The Dalek was probably the best written piece for Capaldi's Doctor, he was a total rear end in a top hat and really didn't care about it. It may have pushed it a bit far, but I would've liked to see a lot more of that 'so alien he doesn't understand common courtesy' beat for him.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

So I've just hit the 6th series of the Jago and Litefoot audio series, and I have a bit of a...continuity question. Jago in particular (though Litefoot mentions it too) talks about their trips to Venus, Colonial America, and the 60s all feel like a dream, and he can't remember it well. Is this plot-relevant? Or just an effort to reset J&L to a status quo and not have them talk about future stuff?

If I recall correctly, they started to lose the memory of those trips pretty much immediately.. Don't know really if that needs to be spoilered, but there ya go.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well yeah, that's what I mentioned. I'm just curious if that is plot relevant, or just fortuitous happenstance to return J&L to their status quo.

Ah, sorry, at work so I don't think I am firing on all cylinders. Being caught up with J&L I'm pretty sure it's just a status quo reset unless I'm forgetting something obvious I missed. I just meant they only mention it periodically as a "well I have hazy memory of this thing happening maybe...ANYWAY on with the plot"

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Roiland and Harmon just say 'Summer '17'.

The crossover for that show and Who should not surprise me in the least, since it's basically "what if real life Tom Baker was The Doctor"

Yup, Tom Baker is Rick Sanchez

McGann
May 19, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Now I'm seeing Six give the "Physics" speech from School Reunion and I didn't know how badly I want someone to ask Colin to read it at a convention.

Don't worry, we have this to tide us over https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhjujJQSMos

More importantly, why is this class making their assignment so strangely specific as: "pick something from Doctor Who or Glee and recreate it".

Asking the important questions here.

McGann
May 19, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Patrick Troughton will make a cameo appearance.

*cue Patrick Troughton running across the ice in his big coat with an awkward perspective/size ratio*

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

He has killed SO many people

Letting Youtube autoplay after this gave me this piece of awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DfuhREAds

The First Doctor was straight up Machiavellian and I love it

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2017

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

and until then, we can 86 the reference.

:golfclap:

So, I've been listening to the BBC produced Tenth Doctor stories that are narrated by David Tenannt. Surprisingly enjoyable, but the stories haven't stood out so much as it's just nice to hear David Tennant playing his excitable Doctor again.

There are flashes where it feels like the RTD seasons, but I still think the tone is off a bit for the most part.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing will ever top Ghostbusters fans hating the GB Facebook page's pictures of little girls dressed up as Ghostbusters for Halloween. The saddest loving fandom, I swear.

This, this is why I'm embarrassed to own any fandom memorabilia that isn't niche enough it's hard to recognize. I don't want to be associated with these twats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Do you have a source on that? The worst I've heard him say is that he had some disagreements with some of the production staff from his season. That wouldn't be a problem for coming to do Big Finish.

Christopher Eccleston posted:

I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of poo poo.

So yeah, hate for the production team/environment.

• Locked thread