Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

The one where the Doctor is trapped in the time hole was good. But apart from that, yeah best ep since the 50th is faint praise.

Mummy on the Orient Express! Under the Lake!

Bicyclops posted:

while also looking like an actual Dean's Office if it were inhabited by a mad, traveling space wizard with a big heart

So like the average fellow's study then

echoplex posted:

Not looking at DW in particular (although I am) but the worst part about this role in production are the frequent last second changes where the producers assume all you have to do is press buttan/make graphic in 30 seconds, rather than it needing a week of ordering, testing, delivery, etc... I have deep and special relationships with a couple of print companies who are often doing midnight handovers for me that go on set at 6am.

I hope they're the printers I worked on we supplied some people in that part of the world

Fil5000 posted:

It's a real "Hadleys Hope in Aliens" type of scene.

Went to see Alien/Aliens at the cinema a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised as the directors cuts of both. I was very thankful when it was the cinematic cuts of both (directors cut of Alien I can take or leave, but jesus christ the Aliens one kills the film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nathan Barley's point about coal mines was a good one which was skimmed over because he's the baddy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Not only that, to be fair the people who were working in the mines chose to work there and could in theory not do so

You what mate

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to start

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Children as young as five worked in the mines in Regency times

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Though if the baddie gave a fig about human lives he would have fed the poopwhale cows

He clearly didn't, but it's bringing to attention something the series should really do its best to avoid (at least in the current incarnation) - that the Doctor only gets involved with individual Bad Things That Happen and doesn't tend to go after structural problems so much any more. It's a very modern liberal view (Trump is a problem, the systematic inequality which drove people to vote for him can just be swept under the carpet, that kind of thing)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 3, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

radmonger posted:

In such cases, the Doctor likes to play the OCP to that OCP.

Robocop crossover time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Clarence Boddicker vs. the Daleks. I'd pay to see that.

I'm not sure which bits of the kaled mutants he can possibly shoot off

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

The twist was rather crap, though.

Well of course you would think that :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

I'm talking about the last line of the episode. :v:

Yeah, that was badly written. It was like something out of Darkplace.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also was the Ganymede mining company a red dwarf reference

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

It's just a coincidence that all the people who would make a good Doctor up until now are white guys

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think the idea will have been that it knocked her out, but it was deliberately underexplained before it happened and then it wasn't mission vital afterwards

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

The Doctor, Bill and Nardol are all hugging. Then we cut, and they are back on the TARDIS. The Doctor isn't clear when and how that happened. He also is talking about why he didn't tell Bill, and he said he never told the enemy his plan. (Being blind wouldn't mean the Doctor would forget walking to and entering the TARDIS)

Is this a quote from somewhere

They walked back to the TARDIS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Assuming that nothing in the future has changed :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oxygen is expensive.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

They probably just made the good decision that having a silly comic relief character for the entire series would have been tedious (looking at you, McCoy in your first season!!!!)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He uses it to survive in space in Four to Doomsday, as it happens

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

We've previously had fairly trivial languages like French and German fail to translate (War Games in both cases), and it'll either be explained in the story or it won't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you want him using it to survive somewhere without air, then Caves

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Blakes 7 is definitely worth a watch*

*most of the time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Quatermass, obviously, too

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh that's right, "We can't see anything. EVER." is from The Farnsworth Parabox.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Did you reply,"Yes."?

A better answer is "No"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

This was a legitimate fun derail about gender and music, in which nobody even screamed at anyone else or flipped over the grill. Good job, everybody.

The whole thing did smack of gender

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between Mummy on the Orient Express and Kill the Moon. you imbecile. you loving moron"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Man I need someone to give me a BRCT so that I can move onto Colin. I've had Peter for years now*

*If anyone's wondered where he's gone. Also my name is Mark, but I don't really want The Ice Warriors episodes 2 or 3 because they're dull and the story flows better with the abridged recon version

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

As I'm on my way down south for a bit soon does anyone fancy a trip to the pub or something?

I forget who lives down that way (except Ms Boods!)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

I'm stuck in my lair on the south coast with about 40 exams this weekend :( (which I'm powering through, no breaks, no excuses, to get the damned things out of my life...you know it's going to be a long session when the first one out of the pile contains this gem, 'The Gracchi had some reforms, things gradually happened, and then Julius Caesar.' Now there's a Doctor Who episode waiting to be written).

I plan approximately 5 years in advance; this'd be some time in June or July :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

I waffle on which message is worse. "Be scared of immigrants/refugees" and "hey kids, don't take your medicine" are both pretty lovely...but the latter targets one of the most vulnerable groups of people

And the former doesn't?

The former also has the political message of "If you don't like the way you're treated for reasons of the way you were born, I don't give a gently caress just shut up and take it" which is the superset of basically all horrible things ever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And Extremis it was pretty mediocre at best

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

It was definately a filler episode but I really did like that even as a simulation the Doctor came up with a way of pissing on the as yet unnamed aliens' chips.

The plot is pretty much a worse version of a couple of Rick and Morty episodes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Would you have the same complaint if it had been called "Extremis: Part One"? I'm just curious because a multi-episode story isn't really something new either to Doctor Who or TV in general.

The cliffhanger was "aliens are going to invade the Earth"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

primary school children to a history museum for an overnight stay -- something which I'm pretty sure is not a thing.

Nope, it is

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/events/dino-snores-for-kids.html

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

In fairness, I can see "how frequently would people call out a number at the exact same time? :eyeroll:" being a thought in a programming meeting

Some of my friends have a drinking game based around just that concept!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you count all the Master appearances in Pertwee's era as "recurring stuff":

24%
48%
70% (50% otherwise)
22%
55%
64%
42% (dead on 1/3 if you don't count Glitz)

Don't forget that even outside the Master, the Daleks and the Cybermen there were still recurring villains/alien locations aplenty, like the Ice Warriors, the Silurians, the Yeti, the Mara, etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

I'm not entirely sure what those percentages are supposed to represent.

% episodes that feature a villain that appears more than once in the series. So, eg, the first Doctor's is made up of the dalek stories, The Time Meddler (reappears in Master Plan) and Tenth Planet.

(Daleks, Dalek Invasion, Chase, Meddler, Cutaway, Masterplan, Tenth Planet for the precise list)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 23, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I'm surprised by the Fourth Doctor era, but when I think back, I guess it was just Davros and the Cybermen a couple of times. Even the entire season that focuses on the Guardians really just has them pop in at the beginning and the end of the fetch quest.

2 daleks, 1 cybermen; as many sontaran stories as either.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

namesake posted:

What's the game? I can only think of 'people yell out a number greater than zero, highest number drinks difference between numbers, both drink number if it's the same number'. And that'd still probably end up with people just shouting '1' at each other.

https://thetab.com/2014/12/05/odds-game-ruining-everyones-night-26398

This kind of thing but less... stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Real answer? They weren't picking them synchronized. The two subroutines, we'll call them, making calls to the random number number generator would have to make them in the same instant for them to match, as we saw in the episode.

For a real life example of this going wrong, I was using monte carlo methods for something in my old job (forget what) and when cutting and pasting the code around accidentally put the initialisation of the random number generator into the for loop rather than outside it. Upshot? Because the loop was so short the random numbers used to be generated from the same timestamp, so they were all the same.

• Locked thread