Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally saw the episode. I love Pearl Mackie as Bill and the costuming is giving her some great stuff, and it was an okay way of introducing the Doctor to her. Nothing is going to live up to Amy and Eleven, but it was world's better than Clara. gently caress the "I fattened her" line and all the stuff around it, but at least it was mostly a throwaway moment. I really like having Nardole around for comic relief. Not sure what I think of the vault or the vague insinuations that the Doctor has made promises yet, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gallifrey Man Yells at Prime Minister

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Because of the threads we frequent, I briefly was confused thinking Mary Jo was playing some character named Bill on MST3K's new season as well as Pearl.

Then I remembered which thread I was in

:lol: They've made Doctor Who jokes in the last two episodes I watched. There's definitely a lot of audience overlap. (I mean, how many classic Who episodes could use the bots in front of it? At least Rifftrax is doing The Five Doctors soon.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Why is a girl getting fat a bad thing? Do people not get fat in England?

It's a thuddingly shallow idea wrapped up by the writing as a poignant moment: she really liked that girl and found her beautiful, and in doing so, gave her too many french fries eliminated the beauty, but oh well, she likes fries anyway, and they still wink at each other in line. :what:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nardole adds a lot for a fairly simple character: as others have said, he lets the Doctor be condescending to someone without doing it too much at the companion. He acts as a sort of audience stand-in for moments we're all familiar with but the companion has to get (Bigger on the inside, "They're Daleks!", etc.). He makes the Doctor more alien by being supremely weird and quirky himself while also making the Doctor more human by tossing off a few "Get a load o' this guy!" sort of comments about the Doctor's aversion to emotion. It's a very simple comic relief character that ends up doing a ton of heavy lifting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

On a completely shallow level, gotta say I love Bill's hair too, or rather that she can do so much with it - she had about a half-dozen hairstyles in this episode and they all looked great.

I mean, this is completely meaningless when it comes to character, writing and themes etc.... but I still really like her hair! :)

The costume and make-up people are doing really well with her, I think. I just dig her whole aesthetic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have to watch it the next day on Amazon, so my only concern with switching schedules around is any affect it may have on ratings and the show being renewed forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I can 100% tell you that the show isn't being renewed forever.

I've read a lot of "You have one chance to clean this up and then it's gone, Chibnall," with a lot of indication that his hands were tied going out of the door, but it's worse coming directly from the PriorMarcus's mouth. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Do please pay attention to his av/text.

I mean, I know the glass is always half-empty for him, and what it's half-full of is garbage water, but in this instance he really just is a person who has tiny bits of insider information confirming what a lot of the "often right about Doctor Who for some reason" tabloids have been saying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

echoplex posted:

How good do the TARDIS's new signs look? (very good is the answer). The university office set is one of the best we've done in years, I think.

It was really packed with some great references to An Unearthly Child without winking too hard, while also looking like an actual Dean's Office if it were inhabited by a mad, traveling space wizard with a big heart. I also liked the way the campus and Bill's apartment looked. There was a ton of loving detail in the sets for this premiere that imbued it with life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think in terms of what they look and sound like, the visual horror aspect, they were pretty similar, but that it was a completely different thing. I wasn't super impressed with the puddle monster, although I liked the idea of it acquiring a pilot and seeking a passenger as a metaphor for an overwhelming crush. The "your reflection isn't reversed" thing was fine. Overall, I think the writing was kind of middle-of-the-road for a Moffat opener, now that I think about it, and that it the sets, costumes and Pearl Mackie's performance are what made it a good episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Eight popped into the office to borrow it again for the exciting 8th Doctor Adventures tv series set to air between new seasons of Doctor Who, DUH!

He just doesn't remember doing it, nor does he probably remember the companion he was traveling with at the time, and later Six picked it up, but he doesn't remember doing it either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So why did the puddle monster scream and rush at her then? Hey, I can travel across all space and time, and track people too, but I'm just no good as asking them to go with me? Or just bad writing, or some rule all monsters have to roar?

When you go to ghost-like monster school, the first thing they teach you is to make an echoing scream while doing that jagged, stop-motion thing where you're suddenly right next to the person you're chasing. It's in the "sort of like a dead human somehow" handbook.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Is that going to go anywhere? Bill noticed the Doctor in the mirror but never brought it up. Deleted scene maybe?

I think it was just supposed to indicate to us, the audience, definitively, that the Doctor is the reason the photographs of her mom resurfaced, and let us know that Bill is starting to suspect there's something going on with her "tutor." It also sort of helps to establish that the Doctor is developing a soft spot for Bill, which works towards the episode's ending.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the Daleks being sort of parallel to the issue at hand, particularly as a way to introduce them to a new companion. "The only way to test this properly is to put it up against the most destructive force in the galaxy" is definitely telling rather than showing, but let's just be honest: the Daleks have been that for a reaaaaaalllly long time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

They don't have to bring back Jenna Coleman, a plank of wood would be an adequate stand-in.

Man, I get the writing was a little all over the place for her at times, but this is just flat out wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watching someone who has to rapidly switch between being playfully curious, weeping with grief, shouting furiously, and basically just being Matt Smith: dang, this girl is cardboard!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked that episode and I like Bill a lot. I thought I was going to be annoyed by robots, but they were actually kind of fun. It felt a bit like the Tennant years in that the Doctor discovers a threat, some military hardass wants to DESTROY it good and properly without thinking things through, and then the Doctor sorts it out through negotiation and lecturing, all while his companion looks on the new world with a kind of unreserved joyous wonder and helps out.

Also, it looks maybe the Doctor and Bill are actually going to travel around for a couple of episodes before just returning home, which is something I missed.

This was waybetter than Frank Cottrell-Boyce's last episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Megaspel posted:

The new companion seems like a standard companion. I don't think she asks any questions others wouldn't ask, I think she asks exactly all the same questions. There's absolutely nothing interesting about her, she's just some randomer come along going "yeah this is well good innit", it looks like absolutely no effort was put into developing her and giving her basic motivation or anything intriguing whatsoever.

I really disagree with this. I think they're taking their time to let us know her instead of just defining her as "The Girl Who [Whatever]." She's of university age and works at a university without attending, and she seems to have some idealist sensibilities about higher education. She compares things to the student union as if that were some kind of utopia. She never knew her mom, she falls fast for people, and seems extremely eager to expand her horizons and have genuine experiences. Her methods of questioning the Doctor are all curiosity-induced questions rather than questions that come out of fear, which is very different from most companions, who tend to get nervous somewhere around the second episode about the whole thing.

They don't have to shove a personality down our throat. She's a young woman who aspires to be a student, but feels she has lacked opportunity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The overall design of this season, from bigger picture things like what the Vardi look like and the way the TARDIS is lit, all the way down to tiny details like Bill's outfit and the labels on the machines the Doctor is tinkering with, is pretty great in my opinion. CG Elephant notwithstanding, it feels like people are doing a lot with relatively little resources. I don't know what changed between last season and this one, but it just feels more detailed, filled with the good kind of clutter and kipple that make places feel lived in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are chairs on the TARDIS just in case a Sontaran ever gets inside.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All the other TARDISes actually just used that web thing the Master made and had their own personal Adric from some other parallel Universe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breetai posted:

the episode where he's fighting monsters made of eye crusts made me shut off the TV mid-episode with no desire to see any more of it

That was a truly bad episode, but it was just Gatiss scooping in for a horror sub-genre (found footage, how timely) and missing so hard that he scooped out the eye gunk at the bottom of the barrel. The twist ending is also bad. He tends to have one or two a season, and sometimes they're goofy fun, and sometimes they're the found footage eye booger monsters episode that (in story) leans on a creepy song so much , it breaks the record and falls flat on its face.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Functionally immortal. I mean, someone else could timewarp her back to the moment of her death and kill her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: Actually this raises an interesting point, she's just living between heartbeats. What happens if she sustains a fatal wound? Does it just not do anything? Does she heal it immediately? Does she die somewhere else and time collapses in on itself? :iiam:

Find out on Big Finish, whenever Jenna Coleman has a break in her career to drop in with Nick Briggs and do a recording or two.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"I hate whimsy when it's forced!" is one of those arguments that Doctor Who, more than most shows, makes apparent is a taste thing. I like the guitar and while I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the spoon in the Robin Hood episode, the absolute, intense, focused bile when it came to that single moment was wayyyyyyyy over the top.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'd be like if any time Four said "Would you like a jellybaby?" somebody through their remote on the floor and said "That's it! I'm done with Douglas Adams and his farcical, jokey nonsense!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seven is clacking his spoons, Two is playing the recorder, Twelve is jamming out on the guitar, and all of a sudden Six comes in with an accordion and a lecture as to why it's infinitely superior, until the rest of them rough him up, and toss him back into his TARDIS, where he hits his head.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Huh. Until you said this, I never realized I wanted a story where one Doctor causes another's regeneration.

It would be particularly headachey if it was, say, the Thirteenth Doctor doing it to the Twelfth.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The End of Time should have ended with Matt Smith quietly smothering Tennant.

*muffled, from under a pillow* "I don't want to go!"
"This is for Harriet Jones, Prime Minister."
"Expiring* "Yes... I.... know who she... was..."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Liking Dad Rock with the innocent "Wow, COOL!" factor of a child seems like it encompasses the facet of the Doctor epitomized by Tom Baker's "There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" and Matt Smith's "young man put together by a committee of old men."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If they hadn't been able to trick Barry the Silence into saying,"You should kill us all on sight!" the back-up plan was to get the Silence to demand everybody forget who Harriet Jones* was, since the human mind wouldn't be able to process that impossible command.

* Former Prime Minister

The third back up was tricking Barry into saying "Don't we look tired?" instead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do feel like Moffat has relied too often on the Doctor being able to travel to a specific place and time so as to resolve whatever twisty nonlinear story is going on, so it'd be a nice change for the TARDIS to just not be able to be guided for a bit.

To be fair, that is a revival thing rather than a Moffat thing. Nine and Ten screwed up a little now and then, but the Doctor has been getting more accurate with the TARDIS over the years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sometimes I sort of miss the days of the First Doctor where he literally had no clue what he was doing and just ended up in a completely random point in space and time every time he activated it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sarah Dollard wrote a good episode and I hope they get her back for one next season. I am glad that Bill asked the Doctor to save the Ice Leviathan, and that the Doctor used appropriate "diplomacy" when dealing with a racist, and that he also stole a pie.

Capaldi is giving me a lot of Four vibes this season, while the content so far feels sort of like the Ten era. I'm really excited for the next episode because of (minor casting spoiler) David Suchet! :dance:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hate those videos, though, because, spider baby mass murder and whatnot notwithstanding, one of the most consistent aspects of the Doctor's character is an attempt to resolve conflict non-violently, and when he does resort to killing people, it's often commented on as a failure, but every time people comment upon the nature of the Doctor as largely non-violent, some rear end in a top hat smugly links to "The Doctor is gonna bust a cap in your rear end."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

That's because the Doctor being non violent IS mostly a revival thing.

I really disagree. There are some weird spots around Three and Six, but it definitely isn't mostly a revival thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: At literally taking the whole cult of personality responsibility thing to its logical extreme and applying it to Dickensian work conditions.

"Those folks in the mill towns didn't have to move there!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

https://join.skype.com/bot/df8df5db-cec4-4c9a-a047-e869e61f3223

The BBC is running some manner of interactive skype game where you help 12 find the Key to Time.

quote:

Written by Joseph Lidster.

Not today, Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ood works in my opinion, because even if he's not the direct instigator, his tacit approval of their rebellion is sort of at odds with the sentiment Jakiri is talking about. It's definitely less common in New Who, though.

• Locked thread