Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carbon dioxide posted:

That was a great Londo Mollari impersonation by Simm.

My take was 100% Zathras, but I guess I can see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I loved the idea of Capaldi as the Doctor, but I hated the implementation. Clara was intolerable. This season really picked up due to Pearl Mackie and Michelle Gomez, but Moffat is clearly out of ideas and I won't miss him.

Capaldi could have been a love letter to the old series, a proper crusty weirdo bastard like Troughton, a stately but off kilter grandpa like Hartnell, an over the top fop who thinks he's James Bond like Pertwee. Smith was endearing because he was perpetually a bit out of touch, like your uncle who was in a rock band in the 70s and still thinks he's that guy. They did the same thing with Capaldi, except it's not endearing at all because he takes everything so loving seriously.

I really, really wish they kept the cast going into the new series. I feel like this Doctor finally got the cast he needed this season, and a new writing team could make something amazing happen. I guess we'll never find out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The_Doctor posted:

No, the Dominators is dreadful.

There were some real stinkers in the Baker and Davison years too but there weren't entire year-long writeoffs like Trial of a Time Lord or, frankly, the first two years of Capaldi. Though I did like the one where Clara loving dies already.

Honestly, Doctor Who is only ever as good as its companions. I have to think that if poor Colin Baker hadn't been saddled to Peri, he would have had a better run. Much as I think we wouldn't look so kindly on McCoy if Ace wasn't basically the best companion ever.

• Locked thread