Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
"I'm doing what everyone does when the world's in danger - I'm calling The Doctor!" was a very good line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Extremis is entirely prologue for another episode with no actual punchline of its own, and that's really the mark of bad writing if you have to eat an entire other episode before the story you actually want to tell. Even the Missy reveal is completely so-what because it affects nothing that happened in Extremis.

Would you have the same complaint if it had been called "Extremis: Part One"? I'm just curious because a multi-episode story isn't really something new either to Doctor Who or TV in general.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The cliffhanger was "aliens are going to invade the Earth"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Multi-part episodes at least do something relevant for the story as a whole. The portals? Nothing. Risky trick for temporary eyesight? Pointless, it's a simulation. Missy? Backstory reveal unrelated to this episode's events. All we get out of it relevant to the followup is "Hey Doctor, Aliens are coming to invade, Love; Doctor."

Fair enough. I read it as "a setup episode or a part 1 is a terrible idea" and not "this was a terrible part 1 because it was a waste of time." I enjoyed this episode a bunch but I can see what you guys are saying too.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I had to go back and double check to see if I was misremembering, but they cheated a bit on the "love" thing. When the aliens checked the first guy for consent, afterwards they said "We must be loved." Then with the three people it was "there must be love."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

You know, for a little while during this episode I thought it was going to turn out that they'd made something like a universal pesticide and that was what was going to wipe the planet out. Especially when the guy in the lab had his helmet off for a while and seemed OK. That would have been kind of neat, something that wasn't directly deadly to humans but would wipe everything out all the same.

But then the guy melted and oh, no danger of them doing something interesting.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Unkempt posted:

No idea if it's true but I get the impression that the last 3 stories were separate until Moffat had a bright idea that the simulation guys in that one could be the 'consent' guys in the other one and then they could be the conqueror guys in this one too and it all fits, it's like poetry etc.

PriorMarcus posted:

No. It was always designed as a three parter. In fact in earlier outlines for the series the alternative reality played a much bigger role and led into the finale.

Huh, I'd had the same impression that it felt like three different stories pushed together to make a three-parter. Weird.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I wish they'd stop writing HORRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAGIC NO WAY OUT endings for companions that then get magicked away.

I really liked the Masters stabbing themselves in the back. I figured that was the only way a multi-Master episode could end, then kind of bought into the team up, but then when Missy called him over... that part was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Your mistake is in thinking that the HORRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAGIC NO WAY OUT part is the ending.

Fine, what should I call it then? I'm talking about the way it's presented. Even if the audience knows it's a fakeout, they keep writing these overwhelmingly "Oh no it's utterly irreversible!" bits and then "oh wait it's fine, you have eternity before you have to go back and die" or "oh hi, character from earlier can undo it all."

• Locked thread