Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

This news, though? Not quite as exciting for us Aussies:

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

At least it doesn't have Chris Hardwick.

And Jerusalem, thanks for linking all your reviews. I just reread your review of Day of the Doctor and need to rewatch it, its so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Astroman posted:

Hey now, we're only a few weeks away from the finale. Have some faith!

Yeah, I'd be the first to gladly say "I stand corrected!" but there were always West Indian/Indian regiments. Did they serve with the YT's, that's the still unanswered question.

Honestly, I'd be fine with this for a regeneration or two, because what Moffat did with Capaldi was show us the Doctor still can be old and gruff after 2 young quirky Doctors. Because he can, he now doesn't have to be.

I will go on the record and say that I still am overall happy with The Moffat Era. It had some missteps, and I think the guy is a bit of an egomaniac, but there were a lot of pluses: he's a fan, but also a talented producer and showrunner so he could do perfect continuity and fanservice while appealing to a mass international audience which keeps the show on the air. He "gets" Doctor Who and what it's supposed to say. His run for the 50th was great and pretty much exactly what I wanted to see. He's been hugely supportive of Big Finish and keeping them in canon. Basically he built on all the great stuff RTD did.

While Chibnall is a bit of an unknown quantity he's still "family"--a long term Doctor Who nerd who is now a teevee professional in line with RTD, Moffat, Tennant, Capaldi, and Gatiss. So unless he has some radical crazy ideas for changing the show, he'll probably do a lot of what Moffat did, which is check off the list of the stuff he always wanted to do on Doctor Who since age 10.

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner. You can quibble with the direction he's taken the show, though overall I've enjoyed the hell out of it. But we've also essentially lost two entire seasons under his watch, and his running of the show seems to be resulting in us losing two amazing actors playing the Doctor prematurely. From that perspective, he's done a terrible job.

But on the other hand: he give the world The Day of the Doctor, which may be my favorite episode of television ever. I've probably watched it more than any other episode and I love it just as much every time.

Brb, gonna go watch Day of the Doctor again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vinylshadow posted:

I like the various promo images the BBC makes for Doctor Who

That looks very much like the Day of the Doctor poster. I'm hope we're getting the Day of the Master.

• Locked thread