Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

This news, though? Not quite as exciting for us Aussies:

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

Rove is actually a massive Who fan so I'm hoping it will be decent discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That episode was good, felt like a merge of the RTD and Moffat eras.
Was expecting the puddle thing to be blinking though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Did anyone else get the feeling that the bigger on the inside boxes explanation was a nice joke version of the Fourth Doctors boxes explanation?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I emjoyed that but am agreeing with everyone who said it could have been better.

They ended with the idea that the robots were a new species, but that could have been used better.

One of many examples: have the robots learn grief through the loss of their companion, show them realising that the sadness that comes from loss is not a weakness, but an acknowledgement of how good things can be and through that truly become a new life form.

The turn them off and on again ending felt like a cop out.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It was his plan to get a bunch of people out on the ice, he mentioned it. Since his plan didn't actually get to play out and he died right after, the elephant survived at least until the end of the episode!

There's an interesting commentary on sustainability in his whole plan.

They've been feeding this creature for centuries, but his big plan is to cause a disaster so big that it could lead to no-one wanting to attend future frost fairs.

Or if it all goes to plan, you have to imagine some would go diving to fish out the bodies when they all disappear and discover the creature.

Maximum short term profit at the expense of long term gain.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Simms Master being in the vault would line up with him being all beardy.

Edit: As for this episode, I enjoyed it except for the resolution not feeling satisfying. There could have been a great moral about moving on and letting go but it just didn't sit quite right. Also how did no-one come searching the house after 6 kids kept vanishing there every couple of decades, were they all abandoned orphans or something?

As is my usual habit, a suggested alternate ending:

All the people are still there, frozen in the fabric of the house. With the reveal that she is the mother and not the daughter, Eliza is stunned that her child is so old, and has wasted his life away clinging to her when she should have died of old age long ago anyway.

The landlord begs her to change her mind but she insists it's over, with some cheesy listen to your mother line.

She dissolves, the house starts shaking and they all flee. As the house collapses in front of them Bills housemates emerge from the cloud of dust, followed by three other confused groups in various out of date clothing styles.

The Doctor looks at the out of time groups and remarks to Bill that he's coming round to her idea of using the TARDIS to make deliveries. Bill asks aren't they going to do anything about the landlord and the Doctor simply replies no, he's already done enough to himself, his life wasted away chasing something that could never truly be.

They all walk away, leaving the lonely elderly boy staring despondent at the ruins.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 8, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

echoplex posted:

I've been doing twitter roundups of episode graphics after every ep, I really struggled finding anything to post on this one. There was stuff like researching and recreating period contracts, doing up the estate agents as you said, phone apps (none of which get seen but we do make interactive apps for every scripted phone sequence), and then minor stuff like the door numbers on the rooms etc. The painting of the mother was mixed duty - we re-arranged the Doctor's Office set for the backdrop - I shot and lit it (which is weird how that always comes down to the graphics guy) and then the concept artist painted over in photoshop.

TV shows are shot in 'blocks' of eps and on DW we usually did 2 eps per block, so this was 'twinned' with Thin Ice in terms of workload, and right after this one we shot the Xmas ep that went out last year. Both of these were super-intensive episodes in every way so Knock Knock was kind of a 'breather' episode - it was mostly on location except the tower room and didn't require too many graphics. Xmas looked fairly contemporary but it was a huge amount of work.

Love that you can be so open about production stuff here. Also guess it makes sense it felt different since Christmas special and all but surprised to hear production of that happened after this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7ZcyXWYHY
In which Nardole learns a very important lesson about listening to the Doctor

This feels like Moffat dialog that has been edited down by someone else (and that's a good thing).

It's the whole thing this season has going up to now where things feel more tight and less patting itself on the back. 2-3 years ago this scene would have played out the same, except you would have had River hanging out there interjecting with "...and you believed him *shakes head pityingly*..." remarks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is it actually the console room used for filming, or a replica? From an insurance perspective I'm surprised if they would let people play with the real set.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Plavski posted:

"Nardole, are you secretly a badass?"

"Nothing secret about it, babydoll."

You know, that exchange was better than any of Moffats "zingers" or one-liners over the years. Putting a good character line in the mouth of a comedian has so much more effectiveness than rapid-fire blathering from Clara.

Of the most recent companions:

Clara: How Doctor Who fans would imagine themselves as the companion.

Bill: The type of companion a non-fan would be.

Nardole: The type of companion a Who fan would actually be.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm never quite sure if Who is supposed to take place in the present or in some near-future that's just far enough removed that we can pretend world leaders are people we haven't heard of yet.

It's best not to think about it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wonder why no-one brought up the idea of just taking Bill off-world and away from the transmitter.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

So hey why did we shoot all those people?

I unno

Also six months of video, photo and written recordings.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Even if the Master isn't putting on an act (which she almost certainly is), 70+ years of sitting in a room that only got a piano in the last couple months probably has her so bored that she's turned introspective and gotten a bit weepy. The very second she's outside and free again she'll immediately cut loose, right now she's choosing to stay imprisoned whether out of some sense of duty, pigheaded stubbornness* or part of a hyper long-term trolling of the Doctor. I did love her pointing out that all of the Doctor's extremely careful procedures/locks are only keeping her locked up because she chooses to let them.

* I'd like to think it's definitely this one.

I agree. "You don't think I can seriously consider being good? I'll show you!". Then when she inevitably turns on the Doctor it's not because she is confused, or mad, it's because she genuinely knows what being good is like and just chooses evil as more fun.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At what point do people say that enough is enough and start holding the Doctor responsible for any crimes that Missy commits?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hopefully the next few times we see London the area flattened to rubble by the pyramid is still there and we get to see people walking past it and just shrugging.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How many of those who withstood the monks reprogramming that survived are now traumatised for life? Since they didn't get their memories controlled the first time it's likely that they also didn't when the monks left so are now stuck babbling about the time aliens took over for six months while everyone thinks they are crazy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The rumour is that the BBC is forcing Capaldi out because they think he's costing them young female viewers, which I don't think can really be called Moffat's fault

Crazy decision, anecdotally talking to my gf and other female friends they almost uniformly list Clara as thw main reason they lost interest in Who.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

For all the obvious mysteries about the upcoming finale, I confess to being most curious about how the Cybermen are going to react to Nardole

I hope they scan him, conclude that his body is superior to current Cyberman medical technology (and thus he has a better chance of surviving) and just leave him alone.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So not having an exhaustive knowledge of the original run, the Mondasian cybermen are an entirely different unconnected species from later Cybermen?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: you know looking at pics of the costume, it's obvious the extra height is in the "handles" and helmet.

I also like the idea that converted people are slightly taller because their bodies are entirely encased in and puppeted by the machinery encasing them. The conversion protects the physical flesh inside, but doesn't actually require it to do any work. Even if the reflexes kick in it won't matter because they are trapped inside their own bodies.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

What do you think Missy's arc is going to be like?

I don't think it is going to be straight redemption, or only her being totally evil. I think it might settle into her being kind of an amoral trickster, or kind of a sinister but not evil mastermind.

Really kind of returning it to the status quo of the Master's first season.

I'm really curious about this and have no clue which direction they will take it.

Unless there is a super-convoluted plan unveiled where we learn Missy has orchestrated the entire season then her turning on the Doctor might feel cheap.

However if she is genuinely changed it's a dangerous thing to do one episode before Moffat leaves the show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Missy dying without the Doctor ever finding out she was coming back to help him is tragic and the perfect ending to her arc this series. At the end she does the right thing and no-one else will ever find out. I think that's why she was laughing, the irony that the consequence of her doing the right thing was that everyone would always think she did the wrong one.

I hope the Doctor finds out that Bill survived (in a way) however, otherwise he is going to have some mad survivors guilt. They were only there to test Missy and as far as he knows not only did that test fail but it got his two companions killed in the process.

I don't remember if it was here or the spoiler thread, but someone made a speculation in the last couple of weeks that the episode would end with the Masters killing each other, with the regenerating Simm grabbing some Cybermen and going to start off the whole afterlife arc. While that wasn't explicitly established in the episode I do like the implication that is what is now happening, the early Missy leaving the ship with some Cybermen tech and an inexplicable urge to help the Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

What surprised me is that in very recent interviews, such as in that latest fan show, Moffat admitted that last week saturday, they weren't even done filming yesterday's episode.

Is Doctor Who filming always this hectic and chaotic?

They're filming the Christmas special right now aren't they? I imagine it was just the very last shot with the first Doctor that they held off on.

edit: I'm not a cosplay person, but I can't wait to see what people do with Mondasian Cyberman costumes now since they are one that you could actually pull off quite well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HopperUK posted:

She was teasing his ego. It was cute.

Especially when you consider she said it in Cyberman singsong voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

not too sure on spoiler rules

Matt Lucas speculation:

I just looked up that time in the episode and it sounds to me like he is talking about Whovians having another series, not him unfortunately.

• Locked thread