Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless the labor camps were fake, I don't see how you could undo the monks and then leave them wondering why they were in a labor camp for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

remusclaw posted:

It's funny, because Moffat spent an entire season, a really good season even, creating a big giant reset button that erased all the consequences faced by Earth during the RTD years, and now, when we get big dumb RTD style Earth stories, he just makes sure to reset the consequences right away. No fuss, no great explanation, just, eh, nobody remembers.

Yeah no one remembers why dad is dead or what happened to Jimmy down the street.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I like how adding a single black soldier - and did they even make reference to his race? - has made an internet thread have a discussion about race by drawing into relief how segregated the past was.

Nobody would have said poo poo or even thought for a second about these questions had it just been an all-white cast. It's like that scene in the paint factory in Invisible Man.

:unsmith: Good ol' Doctor Who

"Drawing into relief how segregated the past was?" What the hell are you talking about? Pretending that people in the past were happy go lucky nonracists is ignorant and accomplishes nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Military executions are one big screw up. After WWII, some random guy claimed to have experience as an executioner and he was improperly hanging Nazis for quite a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

There was an episode of Torchwood that was actually quite close to this

From memory, there was an alien who had to have sex with people to survive, and when the victim climaxed they exploded. She tried it on with Gwen but then was all 'uh, this isn't going to work' when she realised Gwen didn't have a penis.

Torchwood was something else.

What even was that show? Like a doctor who for adults who liked sexy times? When that girl turned into one of the Cybermen and HOO BOY you can almost see her vaginer, look at that! I stopped watching.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Brett824 posted:

I heard "Valeyard" and it was signifying they're finally breaking the Valeyard back.

How long until someone says "I heard valeyard is an old english way of saying lawyer"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dabir posted:

And to want the actors, who are both married IIRC, to gently caress.

Is that worse than in Dexter where two actors who were married IRL, get divorced and then start boning on the show? Also that they are technically brother and sister in the show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What exactly prevented them from going back to the control room? Obviously they were able to go up to take away Humans for whatever reason. It seems like any real situation would have them go down into the ship, take a look around and then come back to the control room to the guy standing there saying "You've only been gone for a couple seconds!." It would have made more sense if they started off at the bottom of the ship and then a couple people went up to the control room. Then it turns out that while they've spent an hour or so figuring out what's going on up there, hundreds of years or whatever passed back down below. It makes no sense that someone would start at the top, go to the bottom, and just never go back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Razor said something about a deck that no one had returned from, so that only converted people could survive the journey.

When they first went down there to check things out, there were no converted people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I'd put this season just behind 5 and 8 (which are a lot closer on a rewatch than I'd thought the first time around) but a really cracking finale might put it out ahead overall. It doesn't really seem as final as Time Of The Doctor, but then a multi-Master story combined with the insanely deep-cut callback of the Mondasian Cybermen is a pretty big event in and of itself. Insanely furious at the BBC for not only spoiling multiple plot elements but advertising the episode with those plot elements as the premise.

Yeah, I feel like this would have been way crazier if the BBC didn't put out youtube videos of The Master and cybermen. A preview should make you think it has spoiled something crazy, not actually give away the last 2 minutes of the episode. When Bill woke up with that thing on her chest, I instantly figured she'd be a cyberman later on because that was in the preview. The Master reveal kind of got me because I didn't really expect Razor to be him. Oh well, at least they didn't put her in that cybermen lingerie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really remember all that much about the Simm master as it was so many years ago when I watched it. What was the conclusion of his arc? Is it possible for him to take off after being prime minister and keep doing Master stuff before turning into MIssy?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I like how this episode finally closed the book on what The Doctors real name is.

Only if it makes people really mad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tennant with a Scottish accent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He'll start regenerating and then shoot some energy into Bill and then the cyberman parts will magically fall off of her and she'll be normal again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think it was totally accurate. They changed the way the black hole looked to have it make more sense to viewers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So what exactly is that? Doctor Who is just meeting his original self and we didn't see the new Doctor Who yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

So if Missy can't regenerate, but we know she'll be back, I assume the next time we see her she'll be Peter Pratt or Geoffrey Beevers, right? That's a logical, sensible thing for me to assume.

It will probably just be Missy sitting up and saying "I remember a long time ago, I shot a strange woman, so I took precautions" or something like that. Though I don't know how she would have remembered being shoved up against a wall and being told pick a new dematerializer whatsit when The Master shouldn't have remembered anything due to the timelines being out of sync.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

It's annoying that they didn't reveal who the new Doctor was at the end of the episode. Now we are going to find out the way we always find out: from the internet after someone snaps a pic of someone on set.

All it would have been is a short clip at the end that could have easily been filmed in secret with a skeleton crew.

I doubt he will regenerate until the end of the Christmas special anyway. He'll spend a few minutes talking to the first doctor about regenerating and maybe they will go on an adventure together. If not, they will split up, and Doctor Who will have one last adventure before regenerating at the end of the episode. Then we'll see Ed Sheeran bounce around the set or whatever excited to go on his new adventures. Maybe pick up the new companion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are merely exchanging long protein strings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Burkion posted:

This episode in particular has the potential to have one hell of a sequel down the line.

Imagine some space travelers coming across a derelict ship, 400 miles long. All of its power is just about gone and it looks like it was nearly torn in half escaping a black hole. So they pump some power into it to get the systems up and going and poke their heads in to see what's what.

Inside, they awaken a new Tomb of Cybermen, who've had comparatively millions of years to advance and grow.

Eh, not really. Time doesn't ever go faster, it only slows down. Any cybermen who are still on Mondas would have a lot more time to advance themselves than the cybermen on this ship. Time at the bottom of the ship wasn't moving fast, it was just closer to normal than the very slow time at the front of the ship. It was most likely still slowed down compared to the rest of the universe. So if someone were to visit this ship after it had lost all power, they would be so far in the future compared to the ship that they'd be more likely to say "What's with these old timey cybermen?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see how it's any different from replacing Becky on Roseanne. The show wants to use the character, the person who played the character doesn't want to play it anymore/is dead. They find someone who looks similar and move on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not like the guy is going to get his own run as Doctor Who. It's just some fan service for the Christmas episode. They'll probably talk to each other about regenerating and then move on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then I'd like to see how they film a whole season of an action adventure show with a 75 year old man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What were his reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what the suits were made of that looked metallic but also the stuntmen were able to bounce around in without getting hurt.

Foam. You can make a lot of things look like metal from far enough away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSnKx2jELg

• Locked thread