Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Grand Fromage posted:

Karaoke. There's always hookers available at them somewhere.

I proposed at once such place, so take that as you will. Pretty sure the party present booked it for the "on the tin" use though.

Edit - I also asked for her father's permission while more than slightly drunk. China is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Warbird posted:

I proposed at once such place, so take that as you will. Pretty sure the party present booked it for the "on the tin" use though.

Edit - I also asked for her father's permission while more than slightly drunk. China is weird.

Her father was the one buying the baijiu at the time?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

These were on different days/in different places but sure, why not.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Skoll posted:

Since we're on the subject of religion, do any students ever actually show an affinity towards The Three ways or is it just so thoroughly stamped out that people keep their old holidays and festivals but without recognizing what they meant?

If religion DOES come up, how are you supposed to react to it as I imagine the PRC has specific guidelines for foreign teachers when it comes to such things.

There are students with religious associations, as others have said, but they never talk about it. I was teaching kayfabe classes at a junior high last year and one kid told me, "You know [classmats]? He believes in GOD" and I just shrugged and said "Okay!"

They do stick to some of their traditional beliefs around here. Burning paper goods for the dead, for example. There are a few religious centers downtown, and most cars I see have a Tibetan Buddhist prayer wheel on the dashboard. I'm not sure which of the holidays are Communist retreads of former religious holidays, but we still have things like Qingmeng Festival (that was last week, I think; we got two days off!) that are tied to ancestral veneration. There are also a shitton of Mormons here, both foreign and Chinese.

If a student asked me directly about religion, or if there is a religious concept they need to know for comprehension in a literature class or something, I will tell them honestly. I don't otherwise talk about it. I was also raised nominally Wiccan which is hard to explain even to native English speakers, so I kind of fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to anything Abrahamic outside of major holidays and the few Bible stories I do know from university lit courses.

I am agnostic, but if the students ask, I will usually tell them I'm atheist, unless I know for sure that I can trust them. That is probably being a little paranoid, but I'm okay with being paranoid.

deathbot posted:

What's the WEIRDEST thing you guys have seen there?

OhmygodhowdoIanswerthis.

Uhhhh...I'm just gonna write a list of top contenders. I'm probably forgetting something hilarious, but I'll do my best:

1. A kid peeing on a tree, his brother sticking his hands and feet into the stream and laughing, and mom watching this happen impassively. She then took the kid's hand without so much as a wipe.

2. There's a bar named gently caress Beer downtown.

3. A junior high "English Festival" where kids booty-danced to "Die Young" by Ke$ha. Inappropriate on so many levels! And I ended up having to stay late to give an "interview" where I repeated the same three stock phrases of praise over and over again with various degrees of enthusiasm until the head teacher was satisfied.

4. A kid at the "smart" school who submitted a poem about Hitler for every homework assignment. I don't teach either poetry or history and I have never talked about Hitler.

5. Kids popping zits in the middle of class :barf:

6. A pizza topped with fruit cocktail from a can.

7. A woman picking up her child's poo poo using a diaper. The kid was not wearing the diaper; it was wearing the usual split-pants. Mom pulled the diaper out of her purse, picked up the poo with it, and didn't wipe the kid.

8. A man who pulled up next to me in his car, stuck his head out the window, screamed "FOREIGNER!!!!!!!" before driving away. I only consider this weird because he said "foreigner" in English. If he had said "waiguoren" I would have barely noticed because that happens all the time. It struck me as particularly odd- who was he informing? Did he think I didn't know? There was no one else around me. This baffles me more than any of the above.

If you're talking about in our high school specifically, I would say the six-foot canvas posters of MIT, the Golden Gate Bridge, Harvard, and other famous American universities and landmarks that were a priority over replacing the mouse-poo poo-ridden heating/AC units, as well as a display of websites the graduating class "likes". I don't know why no one checked it (there's literally a line that's "choosing the right graduate school.") and I don't know why half a wall was devoted to such a stupid list, but hey, kayfabe. I'll post a picture later if I can get one.

Dangeresque posted:

We definitely should. I don't know where the Meat Factory is but, it looks like you are west side. I'm east side, and before that I was Far East side (practically 龙泉驿) so I don't really know anything west of downtown.

I'm supposed to go with one of my English co workers to watch a cricket match this Saturday at around 6:30, probably at Hugo's, if your interested in joining.

Meat Factory is....in...Tai Koo Li? Maybe? I've only been there once. It's Korean BBQ run by actual Koreans; good as gently caress.

Thanks for the invite, but I already have plans on Sunday. But join the wechat group; we can coordinate something!

e: I'm on Wechat as bringmyfishback, I can invite you if you're not already in there (there are a couple people who've never posted)

Warbird posted:

Awwwww! :kimchi:

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 12, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was teaching kayfabe classes at a junior high

You were teaching what?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tiggum posted:

You were teaching what?

Wikipedia definition:

"In professional wrestling, kayfabe /ˈkeɪfeɪb/ is the portrayal of staged events within the industry as "real" or "true," specifically the portrayal of competition, rivalries, and relationships between participants as being genuine and not of a staged or pre-determined nature of any kind."

In other words, I am (or was; last time it happened I got super salty about it and they haven't made me since) frequently loaned out to other schools for the purpose of making the school look good by having a not-hideous blonde American female "teacher". Kids will pretend to know me and constantly call me beautiful and want to "spontaneously" take pictures with me while there just happens to be a man with a professional camera nearby.

For example, the last time we did this, my boss and I were taken by company car to a random junior high school 45 minutes away. We were met by a nervous-looking woman who guided us through the school and told me, "Thank you for coming for our English celebration!" I had been alternately told that this was a demonstration for the government to check for any ideological differences and "their regular teacher is not available," so I gave my boss a pretty good side-eye.

When I got to this totally normal seventh-grade classroom, it was interesting to see that every student was a foot taller than me and many of the boys had a five-o'clock-shadow. You know, like seventh graders typically do. Oh, and there were three cameramen at the back of the room with tripods.

Then I started my "demo lesson"; the kids somehow knew all the potential questions I was going to ask and had prepared answers in front of them. This was a lesson I'd taught at my regular JHS and I knew the vocabulary should have been new to them, because the class was about- and stop me if this is a topic your language classes covered in middle school- food production and manufacturing. I didn't get to choose the topics for those classes.

After the "class" was finished, the students stood up and bowed to me in unison, and I couldn't help but cackle because usually what happens with seventh graders when a class ends is they all start beating the poo poo out of each other. Then we were all warned not to move for a minute and the nervous lady hustled us out as fast as possible, but not before I saw every member of that "class" split up and head for the ninth-grade classrooms across the hall.

I yelled at my boss because this was obviously just a way for them to excise the actual teacher, a Cameroonian dude, and bring in perky white titties for their stupid loving "celebration" or whatever other lies they had concocted. This was the fourth time I had been brought in to Caucasian a place up and I was really angry because I had a long talk with her last year about how I was not comfortable and that if she had guangxi favors to fulfill she should hire one of the do-nothing consulate wives at her church and not cancel my ACTUAL classes so that I could be her performing monkey. She gave me the rest of the day off, but I was still pissed.

I also consider my regularly scheduled junior high classes to be kayfabe because they gave me an insane list of topics and just told me to stand and talk. There were fiftysomething kids per class, so most activities were difficult to do, and there was no academic component whatsoever. Every day I was there, someone would pop by and either take pictures of me "teaching" or film me. No one ever gave a poo poo what I was actually doing, no one ever checked, and most of the teachers there spent the whole time asking me to visit their children's kindergartens for free. Yeah, nah.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron asked a good question in the other thread that I think fits here:

ladron posted:

have you talked to [student] about her future plans, what she wants to study in the US (or wherever), etc?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh! Neither. She's never told me what she might want to study in the future.

They don't always get to choose; their parents often choose for them. I encourage them to study a subject if they've demonstrated a strong affinity for it, but other than that I'm asked not to try to influence their choices. My favorite graduand last year desperately wanted to study architecture but her parents would only let her study business. It sucked. Now she's in Nebraska, the poor kid.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

What is mental health like in the schools, and is there anything remotely resembling counselors in US high schools?

I'm curious because young Chinese Americans from affluent American burbs are committing suicide at a pretty high rate due to academic pressure and depression. I wonder what things are like there with the gaokao.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hi liter posted:

What is mental health like in the schools, and is there anything remotely resembling counselors in US high schools?

I'm curious because young Chinese Americans from affluent American burbs are committing suicide at a pretty high rate due to academic pressure and depression. I wonder what things are like there with the gaokao.

There is nothing resembling mental health counseling on either of our campuses, and I doubt that it exists elsewhere. Maybe in international schools.

There are many suicides associated with the gaokao and academic pressure in general- Korea and Japan also have those problems- but I doubt the actual numbers are reported.

Thankfully, our kids don't take the gaokao and they can retake their TOEFLs and SATs, so I am grateful we're spared from having to deal with that. A friend in Korea lost her favorite student last year; he committed suicide because his grades were too low. He was in seventh grade. I would be shattered if that happened to my kids.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i remember something about this from years ago, and its mostly because chinese parents and teachers are horrible people

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-15/china-exam-system-drives-student-suicides

"The Annual Report on China’s Education (2014), also known as the Blue Book of Education, looked at the apparent causes of 79 suicides by elementary and high school students last year, reports the China Daily on May 14. It found that just under 93 percent happened after arguments with teachers or were attributed to the intense pressure to study put on young people.
The report cited suicides last year by students dismayed by homework burdens and poor test scores, as well as those reacting to the realization that favored schools would not admit them. Most suicides happened in the second half of the school year, from February to July; that’s the period in which the dreaded zhongkao and gaokao are held"

http://theweek.com/articles/457373/rise-youth-suicide-china
"Suicide is the top cause of death among Chinese youth, according to China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (In most Western countries, accidents cause the greatest number of youth deaths.) Every year, roughly 250,000 people commit suicide in China, while another two million attempt to. Stress over school is usually a major factor, and jumping out of a window is by far the most common method. Experts say that is evidence that these suicides may often be impulsive — as opposed to long-mulled or carefully planned — acts.

It’s become such a problem that some Chinese universities are now forcing incoming students to sign waivers absolving the university of responsibility for a student’s suicide."

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
The suicide ranking runs: Korea > China > Japan.

Japan had educational reforms about a generation ago, and the local conservatives are still salty about Japanese education being "too easy" and not driving enough kids to jump off of bridges. Korea never received these reforms and their high-stakes testing is a nightmare. China banned the national exam during the 60s and 70s but brought it back after the cultural revolution.

Everyone in China hates the Gaokao, but ultra-poor and "middle-class" masses view it as their child's only hope to live a better life so they kick up a storm whenever the elites suggest something else. It is perhaps China's strongest meritocratic institution.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's loving rude. And not what I meant, incidentally.

Ignoring the random act of cruelty, nobody has a crush on any teacher, as far as I know. Rihanna used to have a crush on Indian Math Guy last year and was really into studying Hinduism as a way to get to know him. I still haven't told her he's actually a Mormon because I like the idea of my kids studying other cultures.
girl, i was hoping for the same sorta funny poo poo you get outta the teachers coming from Japan, which is regular cavalcade of unwanted romantic poo poo in increasingly amusing ways from various people 'round them

guess china different that way~

also lol u know the chinese female ideal is hosed up and bad yo and if you fall outside it, you in it bad. nothing personal

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Everything about that post made me squinge up inside. Especially that you used the word "cavalcade" but then later, somehow, "lol u know" made an appearance.

Everybody do me a favour and pretend I know the right smiley to use.

Question-wise, it seems like the teaching/working conditions are less than ideal. How does the living situation compare? Are you paid well enough to afford a decent home/apartment/what-have-you?

e: I just went with "squinge" because it felt right. Assign whatever meaning feels right.

burial fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 13, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Everything about that post made me squinge up inside. Especially that you used the word "cavalcade" but then later, somehow, "lol u know" made an appearance.

Everybody do me a favour and pretend I know the right smiley to use.

Question-wise, it seems like the teaching/working conditions are less than ideal. How does the living situation compare? Are you paid well enough to afford a decent home/apartment/what-have-you?

e: I just went with "squinge" because it felt right. Assign whatever meaning feels right.

gotchu homes

:chloe:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I like "squinge."

The teaching and working conditions are less than ideal, true, but they're a metric fuckton better than my last gig. When I told my Korean boss I was leaving at the end of my contract, she chucked a stapler hard at the wall and ran out of the room yelling in mixed Korean and English about ingratitude and treachery and I don't even know what the gently caress else. She also rearranged my apartment once. But that's another story for a different thread, I suppose.

In terms of working conditions, this place isn't as good as either of my jobs in Japan, but it's a million light years better than Korea. At least I can teach subjects in which I have an interest and/or training instead of going :downs: THE APPLE IS RED! THE APPLE IS RED! HAPPY HAPPY DAY THE APPLE IS RED :downs: or similar inanities.

Living situation is pretty good. We have a two-bedroom apartment in a decent complex that also has a grocery store and other businesses inside it. We don't pay any rent or maintenance, unless my landlord needs to call a plumber. The apartment isn't perfect by any means, but it's large and has lots of light. Our neighbors used to be really loud and annoying but they've quieted down a bit now. Our landlord speaks a bit of English and is unbelievably nice and patient. Stuff keeps breaking through normal use, but he replaces it readily enough.

He did tell us we should stop flushing toilet paper and keep our used buttwipes in the freezer, because he doesn't believe us when we tell him something is about to break, and assumes the problem is us and not the fact that the toilet is broken and has been the entire time I've lived there. He told us to replace the showerhead when we told him the hot water heater was going; turns out we were right after many, many discussions! Also it broke completely and then he believed us.

tl;dr- Actually pretty nice!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

As an avid reader of both the China and the poo poo Kids Say threads, I'm a bit curious about what kind of flora/fauna you guys get where you are. I am one of those people who would wither and die without some trees/plants/woodsy areas etc around, are there any places you can go that are at least somewhat "natural?"

Also I'm a Rihanna fan, I empathize with that girl. How would you say she's changed in the time you've known her? I know that's a weird question, but I was a similar type of teenage girl and it seems she's on an interesting path.

Sorry there's some weird assholes vying for The Douchiest "Ironic" Misogynist title, I'm really happy you made this thread! They can go suck a gently caress.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

We don't pay any rent or maintenance, unless my landlord needs to call a plumber

Chinese homeowners insurance doesn't cover acts of god or giant American dooks, no doubt

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Free rent is awesome; being asked to keep used buttwipes in the freezer, slightly less so. Is that a thing people commonly do there or just a last-ditch suggestion prompted by a strange stereotype?

"drat foreigners, they just HAVE to have clean butts."

e: half-beaten. It seemed like the concern was more t.p. usage/flushage than, um, dook volume, but I guess it could be both!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's quite good by Asian school standards, honestly. The combined competence of every single person I ever worked with in Korea would be less than the office manager at this school. Having American bosses means they understand things like sick days, being paid, and a desire to have more than five days vacation per year. I wouldn't say it's great but it's easily the least lovely work environment I've had.

I have a one bedroom apartment near the subway, in a building where things mostly work, which costs about $130 a month. Sichuan has excellent food available everywhere for reasonable prices. The main bad things are:

A) Pollution. Chengdu is not the worst for this, but it's bad and getting worse.
B) Filth in general.
C) A lot of people are... uh, let's say they fell off the turnip truck yesterday and are the physical embodiment of rudeness. It is exhausting to deal with.
D) Every single person who gets behind the wheel of a car in China should be thrown out of an airplane. It might take a while but it's worth doing.
E) Nothing ever works and everything takes 15 more steps than is necessary. China has carefully crafted a society where literally everything you do is an enormous hassle for no reason, which constantly drags on you.

porkswordonboard posted:

As an avid reader of both the China and the poo poo Kids Say threads, I'm a bit curious about what kind of flora/fauna you guys get where you are. I am one of those people who would wither and die without some trees/plants/woodsy areas etc around, are there any places you can go that are at least somewhat "natural?"

There's no wildlife. One of the biggest things that shocks kids when they start attending college in the US is squirrels. WeChat moments walls full of squirrel pictures. Other than birds (and there aren't many of those) you don't see animals in a Chinese city, ever. I show pictures of deer on the lawn in the middle of the city I'm from and nobody believes me.

Chengdu is a very green city compared to most in East Asia, which is nice. Some narrow streets downtown lined with trees that arch up over it to make a tunnel. They do occasionally roll through and rip out all the trees and grass for ??? and leave fields of mud.

If you want you can definitely do natural. Sichuan has two distinct regions. The eastern half or so is mostly flat land filled with cities and farms. The western half is the beginning of the Himalayas and is part of historical TIbet, which was divided between multiple provinces in the PRC. You can travel an hour or two directly west and be in huge mountains with virtually no people except yak herders if you like. Also some national parks around here like Jiuzhaigou.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Free rent is awesome; being asked to keep used buttwipes in the freezer, slightly less so. Is that a thing people commonly do there or just a last-ditch suggestion prompted by a strange stereotype?

e: half-beaten. It seemed like the concern was more t.p. usage/flushage than, um, dook volume, but I guess it could be both!

The freezer thing was a common advice I heard in Korea.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The main bad things are:

A) Pollution. Chengdu is not the worst for this, but it's bad and getting worse.
B) Filth in general.
C) A lot of people are... uh, let's say they fell off the turnip truck yesterday and are the physical embodiment of rudeness. It is exhausting to deal with.
D) Every single person who gets behind the wheel of a car in China should be thrown out of an airplane. It might take a while but it's worth doing.

E) Nothing ever works and everything takes 15 more steps than is necessary. China has carefully crafted a society where literally everything you do is an enormous hassle for no reason, which constantly drags on you.

GF's post is overall excellent; I wanted to highlight these two things because they are the ones that I hate the most. The pollution and filth I generally ignore as much as possible for my own sanity, and E is annoying as gently caress but they're better here than in Korea or Japan.

porkswordonboard posted:

Also I'm a Rihanna fan, I empathize with that girl. How would you say she's changed in the time you've known her? I know that's a weird question, but I was a similar type of teenage girl and it seems she's on an interesting path.

Sorry there's some weird assholes vying for The Douchiest "Ironic" Misogynist title, I'm really happy you made this thread! They can go suck a gently caress.

GF's post basically covered your first question better than I could. There is actually a lot of green space with beautiful landscaping and trees, but nothing natural. They're also not much on the maintenance- for example, our school plants lovely flowers, waits for them to die, then replaces them.

My apartment complex has a large manmade pond. Every few months, they muck it out and replace all the dead plants with living ones. It's nice for a few days until people start sending their kids into the pond to pick the waterlilies and/or everything dies from being poorly installed. Rinse, repeat.

I hear they used to put fish in the pond to eat the algae but the fish mysteriously disappeared...

As for your second question, Rihanna is a lot more outspoken and gutsy than she was last year. I think she's naturally a shy person, but does a good job of being social when she's comfortable. She is more playful and outgoing with the teachers than with her classmates, but she's intellectually and emotionally a lot farther ahead than they are. This year, she's doing a lot of math competitions and joined an a capella group, whereas last year she didn't do anything like that (to my knowledge). Most of her friends (who don't attend our program) are older than she is, and she also tends to seek out people from different walks of life. We initially bonded over having a gay male best friend because she'd never met anyone else who had a gay male best friend.

I think Rihanna is going to take to Western culture like a duck to water.

ladron posted:

Chinese homeowners insurance doesn't cover acts of god or giant American dooks, no doubt

My husband managed to clog it by peeing once! It's just a lovely toilet, no pun intended.

Considering a lot of my students and coworkers don't seem to use toilet paper for number one, I have to wonder...

I once managed to block it by accidentally flushing a small piece of plastic wrap. :downs:

Incidentally, the taboo about flushing toilet paper usually means people just keep the soiled specimens in a bucket until it's full. :barf: I've traveled all over the world and for some reason this is just something I cannot get used to. Especially when someone at school chucks a big, soggy maxi pad in there on a hot summer's day. I have gotten more mosquito bites in my dark places than I ever thought I would...

Let us English posted:

The freezer thing was a common advice I heard in Korea.

Yeah, but the freezer was already full of the food garbage we were only allowed to throw out once a week. Where would I have put the poop?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

I'm grading today:

Q: Give an example of a time when you practiced critical thinking.
A: Find some answers on the internet.

Q: Define technology in your own words.
A: Technology is the practical use of scientific knowledge. (Copied directly from the book. I spent 10 minutes making sure they understood the phrase "In your own words")

Q: Use the term observation in a sentence.
A: I see subject, object, predicate and noun, verb, adjective. (This answer stems from the students obstinately refusing to accept that English morphology is more complex than Chinese. They see a root word and they run with it. They will ignore the rest of the word and I have yet to figure out how to get them to stop, despite going over the concept with them multiple times.)

Q: Explain why scientists use the INternational System of Units (SI)
A: You might be familiar with the terms precision and accuracy.

There's plenty of correct answers, but the wrong ones are particularly WTF.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't think anything is quite as good as this collection of answers from GF's history class:

Grand Fromage posted:

One question was about who John Brown was and what his legacy has been. This was a check if they did their reading. So far I have learned the following things about John Brown:

John Brown invented the Browning machine gun.
John Brown develop the environment and legacy to treat many illness.
John Brown need reform.
John Brown was fast growing, high technology and develop thought.
John Brown give the United States freedom and some high technology.
John Brown a sprist make US people stronger and stronger and together.
John Brown's legacy is to charge forward.
John Brown made World War 2 happen.
John Brown made the development of the USA.
John Brown's legacy is change the environment and have a good binding.
John Brown brought many medicine to the US.
John Brown told us a lot about how to face a problem and some other things.
John Brown's legacy is very good and people love legacy of John Brown.
John Brown have Cold War with USSR and other socialist countries such as China.
John Brown created a peace world.

The angriest I've been this year was when a students texted me at 11 PM on a Sunday to ask "What is Times New Roman?" I was so annoyed that I almost sent her a lmgtfy link, but I restrained myself.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 13, 2017

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Q: Relative to some reference points, your nose is in motion when you run. Relative to others, it is not in motion. Give one example of each.
A: I think if somene's nose is bigger than others, so may be this one is run, his nose is different.
A: When you drive a car you're not move. But the car is move at a large speed.

Q: The difference between the initial position and the final position of an object is its _____.
A: The difference between the initial position and the final position of an object is its position.

Q: A ruler is on the table with the higher numbers to the right. An ant crawls along the ruler from 6cm to 2cm in 2 seconds. Describe the ant's distance, displacement, speed, and velocity.
A: We don't know how long this ruler?

Let us English fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 13, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just watched someone copy and paste from Wikipedia into the body of their essay. She is aware that I am sitting behind her. She failed the last two projects because of copying. She knows that this class is required to graduate.

Welp. gently caress it. They're a week from graduation; I won't be torn up if this one doesn't get the chance to attend. *throws everything out the window; kills self*

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Let us English posted:

Q: The difference between the initial position and the final position of an object is its _____.
A: The difference between the initial position and the final position of an object is its position.

COME ON, THAT'S TRUE

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
one of my favorite things about these quiz answers and about really any question-answering by people in china is the absolute refusal to elaborate on any statement, like those 6 words are enough and theres nothing further to discuss on the topic, or maybe that every piece of information i divulge is relinquishing a part of my soul

A:"shanghai is a very modern city"
B:"what do you mean, what makes it modern?"
A:"well, it is very fashion"
B:"tell me about that"
A:*blank stare*

the only time ive ever really had a student go in-depth about an answer was when it was money-related, like "My dream in life is to marry a rich man, but not too rich so he wont have other women"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is gonna sound pretty random, but have you heard of students memorizing TOEFL tests so they can tell people who take the test later on the other side of the world?

Apparently it's a pretty rampant industry in China. My partner also teaches English and their school's getting harangued by TOEFL for this.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Vegetable posted:

This is gonna sound pretty random, but have you heard of students memorizing TOEFL tests so they can tell people who take the test later on the other side of the world?

Apparently it's a pretty rampant industry in China. My partner also teaches English and their school's getting harangued by TOEFL for this.

I've never heard of that exact situation, but I'm sure it's true. A similar thing happened last year in my Environmental Science classes; kids memorized the whole thing and then told the other class. Which is actually hilarious, because they all failed and the class they gave the answers to didn't. (Well, until I failed them anyways for academic dishonesty.)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

新东方 does this all the time, for other exams besides TOEFL as well

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm more surprised that you have a freezer to store used toliet paper in than I am about the request to do so. I would have murdered someone to get some ice the last time I was out that way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Warbird posted:

I'm more surprised that you have a freezer to store used toliet paper in than I am about the request to do so. I would have murdered someone to get some ice the last time I was out that way.

Was the last time you were here in the early 80s or something?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Having American bosses means they understand things like sick days

lol

Grand Fromage posted:

and a desire to have more than five days vacation per year

double lol

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Great thread. I'm really enjoying learning about how different education is in China.

This stood out to me:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

First of all, any score reports you see from China are bullshit. They report only the test scores from top institutes in Shanghai or Beijing and pretend they're from the country as a whole. Parents pay bribes to teachers so their students get better grades and sit at the front of the class; everyone else is sleeping, reading manga, drawing, fighting, etc.

I've seen many articles about how the US education system is falling behind and students here test poorly in comparison to other countries, especially in math and science. A few years back, Shanghai was listed as #1 in math out of those who had taken the test.

I take it then that such articles or studies are based on artificially-inflated scores?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Was the last time you were here in the early 80s or something?

December before last. They had what was basically a mini fridge, but no freezer. Momma burd-in-law bought new food daily, so I guess they didn't need one? I made due with refrigerated water bottles.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

green chicken feet posted:

Great thread. I'm really enjoying learning about how different education is in China.

This stood out to me:

I've seen many articles about how the US education system is falling behind and students here test poorly in comparison to other countries, especially in math and science. A few years back, Shanghai was listed as #1 in math out of those who had taken the test.

I take it then that such articles or studies are based on artificially-inflated scores?

It's not exactly artificial inflation, it's more than China chooses which scores to report, and from where. This article explains part of the problem. I'm off to work in ten minutes so I didn't have time to dig deep, but google around if you're interested, there's a lot of information.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

For anyone who wants an inside view of the fake university entrance application industry, there's a good article on Vice: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/i-ghostwrote-hundreds-of-chinese-students-ivy-league-admissions-essays-897

I hate this woman for making my life harder, but I could also totally do this job and I'm about to be unemployed, sooo.... (Just kidding. I would not do this.)

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! That was a very informative article and it clarified the issue for me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Warbird posted:

December before last. They had what was basically a mini fridge, but no freezer. Momma burd-in-law bought new food daily, so I guess they didn't need one? I made due with refrigerated water bottles.

Reminded of the stories my best friend and her German born father tell about over in the Fatherland, where people just don't normally do ice cubes, and water is normally served room temperature. How people react weird if you ask for ice in your drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

green chicken feet posted:

Those articles are all just screaming "I have no idea what I'm talking about". Even if you accept test scores as meaning the students here are better (which is complete bullshit IMO), manipulating grades and scores is just standard practice here. Plus there's all the cheating.

That said. Students here are quiet good at standardized, multiple choice tests. If your testing requires no creative engagement with the material but just pure memorization of information, Chinese students are good at that. It's what the entire educational system is focused towards. Math is a good example, Let Us English can back me up on it. I don't do much math in my science classes because I am not a math person and you really don't need much for introductory astronomy, but there is a bit. The students are good at taking very clearly laid out, specific problems and solving them. If you ask them to create a problem, or to explain what the parts of the problem mean, they are completely incapable of it. Every student I have had in my classes has a worse understanding of math than me, which is impressive because I suck.

They claim being good at operations makes them good at math and don't like when I point out that's why we invented calculators and computers, which do what they're bragging about than any human could ever hope to.

So yeah it depends on the context. I would say in general I think American students are better than Chinese, but that is because of my cultural values that prioritize creative engagement and critical thinking. If you don't accept those as meaningful and you're focused on rote work Chinese students are generally better. It's been an interesting experience personally because modern East Asian schooling is very similar to how ancient Roman education is described, so I feel like I have some better understanding of that now.

• Locked thread