Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i havent done china-teaching stuff in maybe 6/7 years but wasnt the english-teaching payscale something like

1. International schools
2. Private language center (small children)
3. Private high school
4. Private language center (adults-kids)
5. Public high school
6. Public University
7. Private University (kids that bombed gaokao but cant get into overseas schools)

3 and 4 might be tied and 5 and 6 might be reversed, and this doesnt really include "on-site english teacher hired directly by a company to train their staff" which is probably around number 2 or 3 in that list

In terms of hours worked vs free time, there are some trade-offs that keep things mostly balanced. Like a public school might only give you 12 teaching hours per week compared to 25 hours at a language center, but at the language center you save a lot of time by having the lesson plans and activities pre-made and standardized so you have less out-of-class work searching for inspiration at ESL Cafe or something.

and all of these will involve political bullshit because Chinese Culture is involved, so imagine dozens or hundreds of employees at varying levels of influence with a mentality of "you did something once that i think makes me lose some face, i will get revenge my passive-aggressively ruining your life at every opportunity over the next 5-10 years, just because". If you're lucky, being the foreigner means most people will ignore you and you wont have to deal with the politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

deathbot posted:

What's the one thing you wish you guys knew in advance about living/teaching in China?

Grand Fromage actually just posted something in the GBS thread that I think applies here, especially the first half.

Grand Fromage posted:

Always plan for the worst and assume the school is lying about literally everything, is my main advice for dealing with them. They will say anything to get their cut of the parental cash.

And actually this works as a general statement too if you replace "the school" with "the people" and "parental cash" with "your cash"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

deathbot posted:

What's the WEIRDEST thing you guys have seen there?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/china-kindergarten-knife-attack-armed-man-11-students-pingxiang-guanhxi-a7508806.html

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i remember something about this from years ago, and its mostly because chinese parents and teachers are horrible people

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-15/china-exam-system-drives-student-suicides

"The Annual Report on China’s Education (2014), also known as the Blue Book of Education, looked at the apparent causes of 79 suicides by elementary and high school students last year, reports the China Daily on May 14. It found that just under 93 percent happened after arguments with teachers or were attributed to the intense pressure to study put on young people.
The report cited suicides last year by students dismayed by homework burdens and poor test scores, as well as those reacting to the realization that favored schools would not admit them. Most suicides happened in the second half of the school year, from February to July; that’s the period in which the dreaded zhongkao and gaokao are held"

http://theweek.com/articles/457373/rise-youth-suicide-china
"Suicide is the top cause of death among Chinese youth, according to China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (In most Western countries, accidents cause the greatest number of youth deaths.) Every year, roughly 250,000 people commit suicide in China, while another two million attempt to. Stress over school is usually a major factor, and jumping out of a window is by far the most common method. Experts say that is evidence that these suicides may often be impulsive — as opposed to long-mulled or carefully planned — acts.

It’s become such a problem that some Chinese universities are now forcing incoming students to sign waivers absolving the university of responsibility for a student’s suicide."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
one of my favorite things about these quiz answers and about really any question-answering by people in china is the absolute refusal to elaborate on any statement, like those 6 words are enough and theres nothing further to discuss on the topic, or maybe that every piece of information i divulge is relinquishing a part of my soul

A:"shanghai is a very modern city"
B:"what do you mean, what makes it modern?"
A:"well, it is very fashion"
B:"tell me about that"
A:*blank stare*

the only time ive ever really had a student go in-depth about an answer was when it was money-related, like "My dream in life is to marry a rich man, but not too rich so he wont have other women"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Students here are quiet good at standardized, multiple choice tests. If your testing requires no creative engagement with the material but just pure memorization of information, Chinese students are good at that. It's what the entire educational system is focused towards. Math is a good example, Let Us English can back me up on it. I don't do much math in my science classes because I am not a math person and you really don't need much for introductory astronomy, but there is a bit. The students are good at taking very clearly laid out, specific problems and solving them. If you ask them to create a problem, or to explain what the parts of the problem mean, they are completely incapable of it. Every student I have had in my classes has a worse understanding of math than me, which is impressive because I suck.

They claim being good at operations makes them good at math and don't like when I point out that's why we invented calculators and computers, which do what they're bragging about than any human could ever hope to.

So yeah it depends on the context. I would say in general I think American students are better than Chinese, but that is because of my cultural values that prioritize creative engagement and critical thinking. If you don't accept those as meaningful and you're focused on rote work Chinese students are generally better. It's been an interesting experience personally because modern East Asian schooling is very similar to how ancient Roman education is described, so I feel like I have some better understanding of that now.

This style (problem) also shows up a lot for study related to English, Finance, and Programming. People memorize an entire formula or set of phrases as opposed to learning individual parts and how they can fit together. So if you tell them "Use the ____ model and the values X, N, and T to calculate an answer" they can recall the formula and plug poo poo in, but if you provide values and a desired outcome they absolutely will not reason out "Oh, in this situation it seems like the _____ model would be applicable".

I used to try and promote that being able to find and evaluate information was more important than being able to recall information, but it didn't really accomplish much.

Edit: Regarding the first part of my post, there are sample topic and essay samples online for China english language exams that are semi-required in university (the TEM and the CET depending on your major), and the essay writing portion is always structured as:
Write no more than 200 words about mobile phones in China, using all of the following criteria:
A. In the last ten years, mobile phone usage has increased in China
B 60% of internet usage in rural areas is via mobile phone
C Mobile phones help families stay in contact

So the essay result ends up just being those three prompts with a few padding words bookending each

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
we've sort of neglected to answer the initial part of the question about why there would be an upsurge in angry old people stabbing young children in a school

Answer
Because it's easy but still gets a lot of attention

Thats it. Everyone in a fight here is afraid of getting hurt, and if you attacked an adult with a knife he might land some lucky punches before you got your message out.
With kids, you can knife a good half-dozen without resistance before any adults notice, and then a few more before the adults work up the courage/numbers to grab you.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The Daily Mail reminds us that some English teachers in China would rather kill themselves than go back to teaching after some time outside of the country:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4469708/Teacher-22-hanged-Valentine-s-Day.html

quote:

A teacher destined for a promising career as a linguist hanged himself after feeling cut off from society and suffering from depression while teaching English in China.

Oliver Hare, 22, a University College London graduate, was due to return to his teaching post in Shanghai but was found dead at his family's home on Valentine's Day this year.

Oliver was spotted by neighbours hanged at the house in Worthing, West Sussex, just days after returning from a trip to Dubai with his mother.

'He knew London life at quite a high level but at the same time I do think that being stuck in a district of Shanghai, four million people living in high-rise buildings, teaching in a school - there didn't seem to have been much support from the British Council.

'He was just with five others [in Shanghai], and they loved him but it was a totally different existence to the one Oliver had known and that would have overwhelmingly contributed to this low mood.

So to anyone thinking about coming to China to teach....don't.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
it seems a little mean to force 2 generations to pass a test to admit a child, since it makes it harder for kids to bootstrap their way out of a bad life in the countryside
unless being thin has equal weight (hehe) on the assessment as having a high IQ

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
to pretend like im on-topic, it's currently 35 degrees in shanghai and im imagining a dirty concrete classroom full of jacket-wearing people with no AC

body odor just demolishing you while you try to focus on a lesson plan

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

PT6A posted:

At least as large an issue is that a lot of low-hour people from North America and Europe go over to China because they'll get better jobs with fewer requirements, and frankly, that's not really a good thing.

wait are we talking about english teaching or about flying? ZAAAMBONI!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Hey I'm super out of the loop on this and I know it's University and not High School but I'm still hoping someone came across this: Is the CET 4 still a (unofficial) requirement for graduation, or have they actually done away with it as promised by now?

Background: At university in China there's an English proficiency test that students were previously required to pass or they weren't allowed to graduate. For English majors it was the TEM, for other majors it was the CET. There were generally 2 levels for each: the baseline required test (for example CET 4) and then an additional optional one (CET 6) that looked better on a transcript.

The test would have a grammar section, an essay section, and a listening section broadcast over radio. The topics were always archaic, and there were a lot of complaints about majors that would never use or need English being forced to pass this terrible English exam in order to graduate. Supposedly it stopped being a requirement but there was some trick to it so you actually still needed it to graduate,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Viola the Mad posted:

What's mafan?

everyone in the background

• Locked thread