Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hotel Dusk: Room 215, released in Japan as Wish Room: Angel's Memory, is an adventure game/visual novel released for the Nintendo DS in 2007, published by Nintendo and developed by CING. Marketed as an "interactive mystery novel," the game is one of those crazy DS games that has you holding the system sideways, much like a book, and is one of the only games to use the little-known DS Rumble Pak. The game received some popularity, as it was part of a small renaissance of story-based adventure games popping up on the DS, joining peers such as Ace Attorney, Trace Memory/Another Code, and Professor Layton. Like Trace Memory, its spiritual predecessor by the same developer, Hotel Dusk is known for the unique ways it uses the DS' hardware and features to present and solve puzzles. Additionally, the game is also notable due to its artstyle, where character sprites are rotoscoped in a pencil-drawing style that drew many comparisons to the music video for Take On Me.

The game is set near the end of December 1979 and follows Kyle Hyde, an ex-NYPD detective who quit the force after an altercation with his partner during a case gone bad. Currently, he works as a door-to-door salesman in California, while using his detective skills to help certain clients find things on the side. One such finder's job takes him to a small hotel in Los Angeles, where over the course of a single night, he unravels a web of mystery that not only involves most of his fellow guests, but may help him get closer to his estranged partner.

This LP is going to be a 100% run, get the best ending, everyone's happy. I have only two rules:

1. No spoilers of any kind, even in tags. This is a mystery game, after all! Speculation is alright, but don't get too wink wink nudge nudge.

2. No Hotel California references, you're not clever, shut up.

Updates

(Right below, ya dingus!)

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Reserved!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Click here to watch the intro in video!

Let's begin.

Music - Desert Highway

We open on the Big Apple, a city where dreams come true. Dreams...and nightmares.

Specifically the NYPD, and specifically one man.

*BRRRRRRRING!*

Whatever's happened to this officer's partner, it's not good.

Music - Suspicions

No cop likes to point a gun at his own partner.

But no one is above the law.

I hope you've noticed a cameo from everyone's friend, the DS screen gap.

And those were his last words.

Meet Kyle Hyde. Ex-NYPD.

It's been three years since that day, and it still haunts him.

Music - The Long Night

Even on the other side of the country, he can't escape it.

*BRRRRRRRING*

What's that? How many? Got it!

Get him on the horn, pronto!

Yes, sir.

Remember beepers? You probably don't, you loving millennials.

We'll take that call later.

Music - Secrets

[img]https://lpix.org/2762754/2017-04-03-1020-53.mp4_snapshot_02.10_[2017.04.07_19.33.26].jpg[/img]

This is 1979, so we actually had to find a pay phone! Didn't have any of these new-fangled smartphones.

Stop yelling, Ed. My head's pounding like a marching band caught in a stampede.

Hung over again, eh? Well, no sympathy here. Ya reap what ya sow! Now listen up! I got a job for ya! It's a place called Hotel Dusk. Package is on the way, and the order sheet's inside.

Got it.

Unfortunately, no smartphone means a pretty lonely drive through these desert streets.

But who's this?

Their eyes meet, but for a moment. Occasionally, the game will break from its monochrome style and give some color to characters, mostly in very important moments.

We have places to be, though.

Pft.

A while later, we find ourselves back in California at our hotel. Please remember the thread rules.

Music - The Long Night

It's been three years since I quit the force and left New York. Now I'm a salesman for this outfit called Red Crown. On the surface, Red Crown's a door-to-door sales firm dealing in household goods.

But Ed, the boss, has himself a little business on the side. He finds things that don't always want to be found. Keeps it quiet, too.

From time to time, I lend a hand. Ain't the greatest gig in town, but... Hell, I got nowhere to be and nothing better to do.

You hear me, Bradley? This is it. This is what I'll be doing until I find you...

You can't expect things to just happen. Sometimes, you have to open the door for yourself. Preferably with a stylus.

Next time: Checking in.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 9, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
honestly I'm not that well aquanted with the song, so I wouldn't've thought to make a reference if you hadn't mentioned it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've heard about this game. Seems cool. Good luck.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
anyways this game sounds interesting. Remember it being mentioned in gaming magazines when I was young

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I would have definitely made a reference, but out of respect to your OP, I won't, so your rule has prevented at least one tragedy.

I recall someone else trying an LP of this that puttered out; looking forward to seeing what happens next.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow this is awesome. I played this game back when it came out but I lost the cartridge and it faded from memory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember watching a LP of this game a while back. It's been a while, though, so my memory of it isn't too clear. Looking forward to revisiting it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, given how communications and such work today, you've pretty much got to write a period piece to strip a man away from his cellphone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yeah, given how communications and such work today, you've pretty much got to write a period piece to strip a man away from his cellphone.

Yeah, having to get to a phone because of a page comes up multiple times in the game when Ed wants to contact you.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I never played Hotel Dusk, but between hearing a lot of good things about it and playing Trace Memory, I'm certainly looking forward to this LP.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is one of those games I've always wanted to play, but never quite got around to. I'm in.

Considering the theme and the title of the first music piece, I absolutely 100% would have made a reference.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I tried to play Hotel Dusk a couple of times but it's a game where you need to either play it through in one fell swoop or keep detailed notes because it does not keep track of much of anything for you. So I'd start it, get distracted, come back and have no idea what was going on or what I needed to do next.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh wow, this game was great. I hardly remember any of it, though. Seems like that's a pretty common place to be at with this game, heh.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Oooh, I had this game for the DS and loved it. I really dug the rotoscoped character models, and the music was bang-on. It'll be fun seeing other people's perspectives on this!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm always up for a mystery game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This game and it's sequel are great, looking forward to seeing the speculation!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
oh man, Hotel Dusk! It's a great game, great characters, but like said above, you need to do it all fairly close together or you'll forget what's going on and what you need to do.

Are you going to have a failure reel?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gonna try to get every game over I can. Some of them are actually pretty funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I haven't seen too many of those, so that should be a treat.

On the topic of Hotel Dusk, it's a shame that Chase doesn't seem to be doing anything more than its initial episode. Unless they're still working on Episode 2 or something.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 13, 2017

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I played through this game super fast when I was a kid, and I remember it being pretty great. But then when my mum tried to do her own playthrough we somehow got stuck on something super early on that might have been a glitch or something, because I remember being really confused about how to fix whatever she'd done. It was weird, because obviously I'd managed to work it out the first time.

Anyway, I have only vague memories of the plot, but I remember it being engaging and interesting, so I look forward to rediscovering it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just found my game card for this while tidying up last week. Never actually finished it, somehow, can't remember if I wrote over my save or it got corrupted but something happened and I just couldn't face the earlier game again. But it's still a game I have really fond memories of, I love the style, and it was a very interesting mystery from what I remember.

So yeah, really looking forward to reading this, even if it's just to see the cool art again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just to let you know, you can expect the next update this weekend. I'm aiming for every Saturday, I just posted the first update a day early because I was excited.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The game is divided into chapters, each taking place over some amount of time on this one night.

(Also, please forgive the image quality for this and possibly the next update. My first batch of game footage was recorded at 1x DS resolution and the Irfanview settings I had didn't play too kind with it, something I didn't notice until resizing. I don't think it's quite bad enough to postpone the update, just a bit of artifacting around text, but I'm going to make sure they look better by Update 4. Thanks for understanding.)

Music - Straight Chaser

(An empty lobby with no one home. Where's the front desk in this dump?)

Kyle looks around the lobby and finds...

(Huh. Cute sign, pal....Guess that's where I check in.)

Is Ed's package here yet?

Throughout the game, Kyle will be presented with topics to ask other characters about, each being given a different colored icon. White questions are questions that you don't really know who to ask about. You also get orange and red questions, orange questions either being questions immediately relevant to the current conversation or those that you know who to ask about, and red questions only appear in a certain situation and need to be asked just about immediately to advance the story.

Music - Monochrome

Welcome to the main gameplay of Hotel Dusk. On the touchscreen, you'll find a floorplan of where you are and a 3D representation of the room on the other screen. You control Kyle by either dragging along the touchscreen or using the D-Pad/face buttons, depending on which hand you're holding the DS in. Speaking of which, on first booting up the game, you select your handedness, which affects the orientation of these screens and certain other UI differences.

This is actually the first time I've seen the game in the "proper" right-handed orientation, being a southpaw.

As we approach the lobby, we get a good opportunity to explain the icons at the bottom of the touch screen. The door icon lets us open a door when we're in front of one and the person icon lets us talk to a nearby character. The magnifying glass, which is flashing right now, lets us examine certain hotspots. And the notebook icon allows us to access the game's pause menu, which we'll talk about in a bit.

When we examine an area, we get a closer look at it, and a cursor. So it's more like a pointy click! The slider on the bottom allows you to change the angle of the camera, the notebook lets you access the note system (more on that with the pause menu), the bag icon is your inventory, and the arrow button lets you exit.

Things get orange when you can select them! We need service, so why not ring the bell?

Guy's got a bell on the counter. Nice touch.

OH NO RANDOM BATTLE!

Wait, it's just a puzzle. Well...puzzle isn't always the best word, but I'll keep using it. Puzzles in Hotel Dusk are often simple moments of interactivity, where the trick is actually figuring out what to do. In this case, we have to tap the bell a couple times.

Yay~!

(Maybe this dump isn't deserted after all...)

Music - Hangover Blues

Don't go botherin' me when I'm watchin' a game! Huh?

You'll oftentimes be presented with this hand icon during a conversation, which means you can grill them for more details. This is almost always a good idea.

(Oh, this guy's fantastic...)

You'll get a choice to pursue one of two subjects. In normal conversations, it's simply a difference in dialogue, but watch yourself.

...'Scuse me?

I don't care about your game. I need a room. And I don't like waiting at the front desk like some kind of delivery boy.

Whoa, whoa! Sorry, buddy! Don't get all riled up on me now! Bit of a short fuse, eh pal? Name's Dunning Smith, and I own this joint. Welcome to my own little slice'a heaven...Hotel Dusk.

Every character gets a little introduction screen like this. It's a neat touch.

So! Ya here for a room, or just t'hear me jaw?

A room. One night.

What kinda room ya want?

Cheap.

Well, if ya wanna save a bit'a scratch, I got a room available.

Great.

But, hey, lemme bend yer ear for a second... How'd ya like t'stay in somethin' a little nicer?

One thing I'm not getting across that well right now is the character animations. They're all rotoscoped and really nice, but if I was gonna show all of them off, there'd be a million gifs for me to make. I'll show off a few of them later, since they deserve to be seen.

Yep. You're in sales, right? Door t'door? On yer feet all day?

Something like that.

Yep, I know it. Ya haul the case around all day and the dogs get to barkin'. So what d'ya say? Why not give yerself a little treat for once?

One night in a nice room'll make a new man outta ya! Now this is a bit rare, but tonight I actually got a suite open. And 'cause I'm feelin' generous, I'll let ya have it for a special price!

Suites are for chumps, dammit.

I said cheap.

It's a peach of a room!

Hey! You got a problem? I look like a guy who would stay in a suite?

Yep, all right, I getcha. Gotta say though, I'm disappointed. Well, if I can getcha to fill out this registration card, ya can have a room.

Jeez, game, do we have to do EVERYTHING ourselves?

PUZZLE TIME!

For this one, we have to drag our stylus along each field to write down our info. Simple enough.

Yer name really Kyle Hyde?

That's what my parents told me.

You should meet my brother Steven.

Huh...

That work for you?

Hold on.

I've always thought Kyle Hyde was a nice name.

There it is, the best Kyle sprite.

Kyle Hyde? Yeah, it's a great name, I seen a bunch'a ya in the phone book. Anyway, about yer room. Yer in Room 215. Here's the key.

It's got the room number and the word "Wish" engraved on it.

Wish? What's that supposed to mean?

It's the name'a the room.

The room has a name?

Sure does! Every room in this hotel has its own name! We got Wish, Bravery, Daybreak, Success...even Angel.

Cute.

Cute. You think those up yourself?

Wish is my favorite of the bunch, though.

What a crock.

A crock?

Rooms need numbers. That's it. Naming a room is a waste of time.

Kyle is a delightfully irascible fella.

Waste'a time?! Ain't no one ever said that before!

They just didn't have the stones to tell you what they really thought.

Some guests like names! But now I know. Yer a man who don't like t'waste time on silly stuff. Saves me from wastin' breath on my story.

Hold on.

What story did you mean?

Nothin'. Waste'a time.

Well, if ya really wanna know, I'll tell ya. Actually, it's 'bout Room 215. The room where yer stayin.' It's got a...whatcha call it? A history.

A history? What, like ghosts? You telling me it's haunted?

Ghosts? Pah! Nah, this is way better'n some spook with chains! Ya got dreams, pal? Somethin' ya wish for?

Don't surprise me. But still... If ya got somethin' ya want. I mean, really want... Ya just may find it tonight. Ya follow? That's the story... That's Room 215.

Where wishes are granted?

I dunno why I'm helpin' ya, but go ahead'n take this. It's a hotel brochure. Ya got a map in there, too.

I put it in my notebook.

Head on up to the second floor. It's through the lobby and up the stairs. Room 215's down the hall on the left. Restaurant's through the lobby and to the left. It opens for dinner at 6:00, and breakfast at 7:30.

Got a bar, too. Opens at 9:00 tonight. Checkout's at 10:00. Miss it, and we charge ya double. 'Course, if ya wanna stay another night, just lemme know. Need anythin' else?

Music - Rainy Night

And here's where we ask our questions. If we choose the not being a smugass (as if I ever would) option when Dunning remarks on Kyle's name, he'll say that there was another guest named Kyle Hyde who stayed in the hotel a bit ago, and Kyle will have an extra question to ask about it. For the sake of completeness, I'll show that question here.

So, you had a guest with my name?

Yep. Called himself Kyle Hyde, too. As I remember it, he was 'bout yer age. Blond fella, tall and thin. Looked kinda like a stork.

(A tall, thin, blond man? Sounds like Bradley.)

But I wouldn't mistake you for him. He was different.

How so?

Wearin' a nice suit, good shoes, the works. Looked like a somebody.

I'll keep that in mind. So does Mr. Somebody stay here often?

Naw, just the one time. It was 'bout...six months ago. Ain't seen him since.

And with that, we'll go down the questions in order. First, let's ask about our package.

A package for ya? Sorry, I don't see nothin'.

It should be here. Maybe you can actually...look around or something?

Ya send a package to a hotel when ya don't even have a reservation? Nice...

Oh yeah?

As much as I'd like to tell this guy to buzz off, he's already suspicious of us. Let's not stir the pot with the guy who's providing a roof over our heads.

What kind of problems?

Is it anythin' that's gonna inconvenience my hotel?

Depends on what you mean by "inconvenience."

I mean, it's probably got some sales collateral in it, so I might do some door to door. By the way, do you have trouble cleaning the carpets? Because I have the product for you!

Really? What happened?

Let's just say I don't wanna deal with anythin' like it again, and leave it at that. Buncha lousy... I'll have the bellhop look for yer package. If it shows, we'll bring it to yer room.

Making our way down the list, we'll ask about Room 215's story.

It's a story I heard from folks that stayed in 215. First, there was a young girl. Then a middle-aged fella... Both of 'em looked beat down when they arrived. Like they had no future...

But by the next mornin', they'd been reborn. Their faces were just...peaceful, like. Well, I was surprised as a dog'n a tree, so I asked 'em what happened. And ya know what?

They both told me the same thing. "Room 215 is magic. It granted m'wish. Everything's OK now." So that's why I said...

What's so funny?

Good one, pops. Real nice. I didn't think an old-timer like you would tell me fairy tales.

Fairy tales?! That what ya think this is?

Call it a fairy tale if ya want. It's a free country.

One more question to go. Dunning mentioned the hotel had some trouble earlier. What's up with that?

That? Well, it was right 'bout three years ago. One'a the bellhops took a package up to a guest's room, right? And then...BANG! Buncha cops and detectives come stormin' in!

(Detectives?)

Oh poo poo! I was one of those!

Seems m'guest was a crook! Part'a some big crime ring or somethin'. He was usin' my hotel as a drop-off for stolen goods.

Whole thing was a drat mess! Gunshots in the hallway... Screamin' guests runnin' every which'a way... I ain't never goin' through anythin' like that again! That's why the Dusk's got a strict policy: No crooks... AND NO COPS!

Both parts of that policy are things I can get behind. Good thing we're not a cop!

Music - Hangover Blues

That it?

Yeah.

Music - Monochrome

Well, my dogs are barkin'. Gonna head to the room and take a load off. Mork and Mindy should be on soon.

The door opens up behind Kyle.

As I walk away from the front desk, I hear a voice behind me...

(Just another guest.)

Music - Hangover Blues

You use the same line on everyone, Dunning?

As luck would have it, we got vacancies. What kinda room ya lookin' for, darlin'?

Well now, aren't you just a sweet-talker? But there's a certain room I want.

Which room's that?

I want that special room. The wishing room. This is the Hotel Dusk, is it not?

Oh dear, that's gonna be an issue.

'Course it is! And I know the room yer asking for! Unfortunately, ma'am, that room's...

Oh, dear. Is it taken?

Well, isn't that a shame!

Ya want a different room? We got plenty, and they're all top'a-the-line!

Yes, I... I suppose I'll make do with something else.

We could go back and try to talk to the woman, but she's busy checking in, so we'll be courteous.

Meanwhile, we've got a room to get to.

Next time: Room 215

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2017

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
The art in this game is really nice. The animations all have a nice feel to them, and yes, smugface Kyle is the best Kyle.

Part of me wishes they'd just gone all in on the thing and not made the rooms and backgrounds all blocky DS polygons, but even that doesn't look too bad. This hotel has charm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yer name really Kyle Hyde?

That's what my parents told me.

One thing that's quickly apparent from the start is that Kyle is great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GirlCalledBob posted:

The art in this game is really nice. The animations all have a nice feel to them, and yes, smugface Kyle is the best Kyle.

Yeah, one thing you can appreciate in the animations I had in the update is that even when the characters aren't moving, their sprites are still animated, which really enhances the pencil-drawn look.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One thing that's quickly apparent from the start is that Kyle is great.

Kyle has a lot of great moments in this game, especially in his interactions with other people.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oooh, I remember playing this game back in the day! Then my DS broke, and I never got back around to it. A shame, I was loving the hell out of it. I look forward to the adventures of our moderately hard-boiled not-detective.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm looking forward to seeing our wish-granting room.

By the way, can we actually stay in the suite? There is no wish granting suite? Hmph. The suite needs to up its game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We can only stay in Room 215, but rest assured, we'll be seeing this hotel toe to tip by the end of this night.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose since we only needed one night in, the manager figures he can get this new person to stick around?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I can't stop thinking of Tom Goes To The Mayor with this artstlyly.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Are you planning on doing the sequel, Last Window, after this one?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not immediately afterward, but it's on the docket for the future. Problem with that is that no one has a script or a text dump online and the files are compressed in a way that makes it hard to rip it myself, but I can always suck it up and transcribe if need be.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Not immediately afterward, but it's on the docket for the future. Problem with that is that no one has a script or a text dump online and the files are compressed in a way that makes it hard to rip it myself, but I can always suck it up and transcribe if need be.

Cool, thanks! I own and have beaten both of the games, they are very good. I have seen Last Window requested many times in the LP request thread, and I always told myself if I were to do an LP, it would be of these games, but then I never had the time/motivation to do it. Glad to see Hotel Dusk getting another shot at it. Good luck!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Last Window only ever got a European release, right?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not impossible. I guess there's no need to bother with dumping the whole thing right now though.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And Japanese, but yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was lucky enough to find a copy of it when I lived in South Africa, and the DS is region-free, so there ya go.

tiistai posted:

It's not impossible. I guess there's no need to bother with dumping the whole thing right now though.

Oh snap. But yeah, Last Window is probably about a couple LPs away. The plan for after Hotel Dusk right now is to do Trace Memory, then maybe do a random video LP in the middle, then I'll tackle Last Window and if I can get it running, the Wii sequel to Trace Memory that also only got released in Japan and Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gonna try to have the update tomorrow, but I've been busy, so there's a nonzero chance of a Sunday update.

Edit: I've gotten lazy this weekend. Tomorrow or Monday. I'm just gonna do a double update next weekend, sorry. Just one of those weekends, you know?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 23, 2017

• Locked thread