Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

NowonSA posted:

Oh and separate thing, we had Martin Freeman as the foreigner doing a midwest American accent in S1 and now McGregor doing that across two roles in S3, was there a prominent foreigner doing that in S2? I'm just wondering if that's happened with a major character in each season of the show, because it'd be fun if it was.

Looking at Season 2's cast, there's no main or recurring character played by someone from outside the US.

But, Martin Freeman was the Narrator, so it's up to you whether that counts or not. Personally, I don't think it's an intentional thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Paladinus posted:

Because he was a no-nonsense fundamentalist Christian by the looks of it. Writing or even reading stories about aliens and amazing worlds beyond our own doesn't gel well with that usually. But he obviously still had some interest in it, because the show he watched (season 2 of Fargo) was also about aliens.

I think he's just crotchety. He was voicing pretty standard old person opinions, especially for 2010.

incidentally are we sure who's father he is? When Gloria was searching the house she called out "Ennis" rather than "Dad."

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Fairly certain she said he was her stepfather.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yeah. She made the comment that her ex husband's new boyfriend would be a step father to her kid just like Ennis is her step father.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Looking at Season 2's cast, there's no main or recurring character played by someone from outside the US.

But, Martin Freeman was the Narrator, so it's up to you whether that counts or not. Personally, I don't think it's an intentional thing.

Bear Gerhardt was played by an Australian actor.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

U.P.? I grew up in metro Detroit and never heard that before. Living closer to mid Michigan now and still never heard it.

Nah, SE Michigan. It wasn't something that was said 100% of the time but everyone I knew definitely knew the phrase. Hmm...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm also from metro Detroit and the only time I've ever heard that phrase is on Clone High regarding a swimming pool

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Maybe it's more prevalent in parts of Michigan without Michigan Lefts?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Klungar posted:

Maybe it's more prevalent in parts of Michigan without Michigan Lefts?

That's basically Wisconsin so...

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gotcha, I just moved to Detroit two months ago, and you all seemed to be from here as well, so thought Michigan Lefts might be more of a localized phenomenon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Because he was a no-nonsense fundamentalist Christian by the looks of it. Writing or even reading stories about aliens and amazing worlds beyond our own doesn't gel well with that usually. But he obviously still had some interest in it, because the show he watched (season 2 of Fargo) was also about aliens.

The dude won a Hugo award, there's no way his being a science fiction author was a secret.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Paladinus posted:

Makes sense. It adds a couple layers of mystery. Just thought it was interesting that when your stepdad has just been murdered, a suspect who was upstairs minutes ago is on the loose, and your son is sitting alone in the car, the one thing that transfixes you are some sci-fi books (even given the incongruity).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Oh and separate thing, we had Martin Freeman as the foreigner doing a midwest American accent in S1 and now McGregor doing that across two roles in S3, was there a prominent foreigner doing that in S2? I'm just wondering if that's happened with a major character in each season of the show, because it'd be fun if it was.

British actors doing major roles as Americans in American TV is a pretty common thing. Off the top of my head I can think of The Wire with both McNulty and Stringer, The Walking Dead, Deadwood and Sons of Anarchy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Baron Corbyn posted:

British actors doing major roles as Americans in American TV is a pretty common thing. Off the top of my head I can think of The Wire with both McNulty and Stringer, The Walking Dead, Deadwood and Sons of Anarchy.

And House.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

socketwrencher posted:

It just felt Colin Hanks-ian to me, which seemed at odds with her character. Someone was literally upstairs... assuming she didn't hear a car start up, how far away could the suspect be?

That was her son's footsteps.

Paladinus posted:

Took a closer look at his cap, and it is indeed a stasi one. I guess the song in Russian and him inviting the suspect to sit down in perfect Russian threw me off. His face also looks extremely Russian to me for whatever reason.

That was german.

Amazing start to what I hope is another amazing season. What the hell did the rich brother get his company into?

The door didn't open for the police officer in that one scene, so I'm going to be the first one to suggest that this season's thing is vampires or something.

And for the one that said "Which show can have throat singing and an italian po song?", watch The Young Pope, one of the best tv shows ever.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 22, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I made it through seven episodes of the Young Pope and he never even fucks. Why would I watch a show about a Pope that doesn't gently caress?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

The dude won a Hugo award, there's no way his being a science fiction author was a secret.

He used a pseudonym.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I made it through seven episodes of the Young Pope and he never even fucks. Why would I watch a show about a Pope that doesn't gently caress?

I have never seen a single episode of The Young Pope, but if it isn't literally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBHitRhGjI then I don't even care

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 23, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He used a pseudonym.

The award was in his house... she literally picked it up

My point is, we don't know yet what specifically about those books surprised her, but it doesn't make sense for it to be "my stepfather wrote science fiction books".

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 23, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

The award was in his house... she literally picked it up

Yeah but if she knew what it was, she probably wouldn't be using it as a weapon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not everyone knows what a Hugo looks like

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You guys are seriously stretching. He's her stepfather, he has an award prominently displayed in his house. Everything about that suggests that his writing career is not a secret.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but if she knew what it was, she probably wouldn't be using it as a weapon.

"Hmmm this award means a lot to my dead dad, better just go unarmed with a possible intruder/murderer around instead"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Nemo posted:

That was german.

The song "Кукушечка" (Cuckoo) is in Russian, and he definitely says 'сядьте' (sit down) to the guy. Everything else is obviously in German.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah it's by no means uncommon, I was just curious that maybe Hawley or the casting on his shows was doing it intentionally. The lead on Legion is a Brit as well, and it has Jermaine Clement from New Zealand too.

I guess all we've really found out by analyzing flip a bitch is that while there are regional sayings, it's not like everyone in a region uses them or is even necessarily familiar with them. Also how many Goons are from Michigan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How old is he supposed to be in the present/2010?

He was in his 20s when he won that award.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paladinus posted:

The song "Кукушечка" (Cuckoo) is in Russian, and he definitely says 'сядьте' (sit down) to the guy. Everything else is obviously in German.

He says "setzen" (german for sit)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved that scene because in 99% of my life, the fact that I can speak German fluently is never ever loving useful

Mr. Nemo posted:

The door didn't open for the police officer in that one scene, so I'm going to be the first one to suggest that this season's thing is vampires or something.

:ghost:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Stupid question, but the fluid that was going into the drain in that cold opening interrogation scene, was water from the snow melting from the guy's shoes, right?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

AbstractNapper posted:

Stupid question, but the fluid that was going into the drain in that cold opening interrogation scene, was water from the snow melting from the guy's shoes, right?

Yeah, the shot previous to it is his shoes covered in ice and melting snow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC they were actually slippers/"house shoes" which were kind of mirrored in the later scene with the brother.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Paladinus posted:

He's wearing an east german uniform. This is an odd discussion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea that was in Russian, and i'm a native speaker. Still, eastern bloc, so kind of makes sense.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nah, SE Michigan. It wasn't something that was said 100% of the time but everyone I knew definitely knew the phrase. Hmm...

Add another Michigan native who's never heard "Flip a B" as a U-Turn.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm also from metro Detroit and the only time I've ever heard that phrase is on Clone High regarding a swimming pool

This is also what I immediately thought of. Best friends forever!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he says "sitzen" which is german for sit down. all the songs are here: https://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-3/43239

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mr. Nemo posted:

That was her son's footsteps.

And that's what she instantly deduced?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The show writer is just trying to make 'flip a B' happen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've heard it being said in rural Wisconsin.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Krispy Kareem posted:

The show writer is just trying to make 'flip a B' happen.

New thread title "Flippin a B, Wednesdays at 10"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I grew up in Minnesota and always called it "Pull a U-ey"

"Flip a B(itch)" is bullshit.

• Locked thread