Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sy and Emmit desperately trying to pretend everything is okay is great.

"Oh good, they're here! Remember I said we were expanding the IT Department?"
".....no?"
".....well we are!"

That complete gently caress up when he left the diner parking lot was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good episode. Quite a few funny stuff with the computers theme. I liked Irv's interaction with Google.

I also think I like the new police chief character. He gave the old chief some attitude, so maybe we're supposed to dislike him? But, I mean, maybe the old ways weren't so efficient.... (unless we're going to have a Battlestar Gallactica storyline).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MarksMan posted:

Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ7QAvhN7SU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

The lady cop sure has a lot of problems with technology. door doesn't see her, phone doesn't work ..... is she touched by the aliens? Deus ex machina?

Will she have a win or loss because of this technology thing later...

She sold her soul to Milhouse for $5

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So all her teletexts were going nowhere then? Since she wasn't ever getting a response?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Krispy Kareem posted:

So all her teletexts were going nowhere then? Since she wasn't ever getting a response?
I thought she was being sarcastic or something there. Like implying a "... and nobody cares, really ".

I also get the feeling that maybe the writers are not going for a super focused and efficient police officer role this time around, like they did with Molly in season one and Lou in season two.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

AbstractNapper posted:

I thought she was being sarcastic or something there. Like implying a "... and nobody cares, really ".

I also get the feeling that maybe the writers are not going for a super focused and efficient police officer role this time around, like they did with Molly in season one and Lou in season two.

I'm pretty sure her tech illiteracy will help er against V.M.s Russian super hacker. Oh god I shouldn't even write that name :ohdear:.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MarksMan posted:

Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

Vargas' Russian/Cossack henchman is named Yuri Gurka, according to imdb

e: I guess that scene could be interpret as being about truth and stories. The totalitarian Stasi officer has an a priori truth and is totally unconcerned with the stories/realities around it. Fargo is all about stories, but doesn't concern itself with any deeper truth or reality?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 27, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just wanna say that VM is my favourite character of anything I've watched in a long time. I'm pretty much grinning from ear to ear every time he's on screen. From ep 1 but "Where is it you're from again?" "America." was amazing

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have a hard time looking at him

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I need a gif of Emmit seeing the thugs and trying to hide behind the blinder that isnt all the way down so you see everything but his head.

Season rules so far.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Wafflecopper posted:

I just wanna say that VM is my favourite character of anything I've watched in a long time. I'm pretty much grinning from ear to ear every time he's on screen. From ep 1 but "Where is it you're from again?" "America." was amazing

I loved his delivery during the 'it's three things" line from this episode, that whole speech was good but that in particular was real fun to watch for me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ray you stupid gawking idiot

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what the poo poo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anyone screencap the google return for Vargas?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

sector_corrector posted:

Did anyone screencap the google return for Vargas?

I think it was a single link, as though his computer had a virus on it that'd prevent searches and, I guess, text them a shot of the user or something if the link were clicked

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

I think it was a single link, as though his computer had a virus on it that'd prevent searches and, I guess, text them a shot of the user or something if the link were clicked

That seems like it might be the case, but it looked like there was a DOI beneath the link for Vargas, and I was curious to run it and see what it returns.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

sector_corrector posted:

it looked like there was a DOI beneath the link for Vargas, and I was curious to run it and see what it returns.

You got me curious, too, so I screenshotted this --

-- which gives us --

http://dx.doi.org/10.3978

-- which corresponds to these guys --

quote:

Wanfang Data has been a task force of the Institute of Scientific & Technological Information of China (ISTIC), the Chinese Ministry of Science & Technology, since 1950s.
http://www.wanfangdata.com/about/about.asp

Unless there's a Chinese connection next episode, I think this is a dead end.

Edit: I glossed over https://dx.doi.org/10.3978/j.issn-684x.2010.04.02 because it didn't link to anything

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 28, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not really trying to solve any puzzles, my job has just trained me to see a DOI at a hundred paces, and it made me curious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
FWIW, I think that namespace is basically biomedical science funded by that Chinese ministry. Here's a legit citation using a similar construction,

Lu, F. M., and Yuan, Z. (2015). PET / SPECT molecular imaging in clinical neuroscience : recent advances in the investigation of CNS diseases. Quant. Imag. Med. Surg. 5, 433–447. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2223-4292.2015.03.16

The one in the show is missing the 2223 part of 2223-4292 in the resolvable DOI example above.

I would guess that the production team used DOIs because they have structure and look techy, and figured nobody would care enough to search, but if they did then they didn't want it to resolve to an actual article.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Haven't the Chinese been making major inroads throughout various African nations over the last few years? It's not much, but that could tie to Varga.

I mean Varga's crew seems to have a multinational make-up, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a Chinese spy or something.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 28, 2017

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
How come Emmit's lawyer is so baffled by the computer turning off and thought maybe the power went out? I get that it's supposed to illustrate the fact that he's out of touch with the times but it seemed strange that indoor lighting and power outages would be in the same realm of modern technology as Google, especially after the masterful roasting he did on Emmit and Sy. He just didn't seem that dumb when we first met him.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LostRook posted:

Haven't the Chinese been making major inroads throughout various African nations over the last few years? It's not much, but that could tie to Varga.

I mean Varga's crew seems to have a multinational make-up, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a Chinese spy or something.

He did greet the guy at the parking lot at Chinese after trying English and (I think) Russian.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

frenton posted:

How come Emmit's lawyer is so baffled by the computer turning off and thought maybe the power went out? I get that it's supposed to illustrate the fact that he's out of touch with the times but it seemed strange that indoor lighting and power outages would be in the same realm of modern technology as Google, especially after the masterful roasting he did on Emmit and Sy. He just didn't seem that dumb when we first met him.

Irv was probably a champ back in the day but like the new chief said, it ain't the fifties anymore. He's like a lot of old lawyers I know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kinda interesting for the show to go full speed on giving clues about some kind of science fiction stuff going on with the police chief. I wouldn't be surprised if this season ends up getting exponentially weird.

Like I'm even wondering if McGregor's accent slipping when he's Emmitt is supposed to be intentional and he's a Scottish con artist or something because he keeps it in check as Ray (and as every other American he's ever played in his career).

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's silly but, at first I thought Nikki had taken a very tiny poo poo in Emmit's drawer.

Chadzok posted:

it's the actress, not the character. she was having similar problems over in the Leftovers this week as well.

I love this post and think it's the funniest in this thread, because the way it's written it seems completely sincere and like whoever wrote it truly believes this.

precision posted:

Like I'm even wondering if McGregor's accent slipping when he's Emmitt is supposed to be intentional and he's a Scottish con artist or something because he keeps it in check as Ray (and as every other American he's ever played in his career).

This is a good observation. I'd been wondering about the Emmit accent as well, and you're right, I hadn't thought about how Ewan McGregor has never had a problem with them before that I can remember.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

"Feminine hygiene, deployed as a weapon?"

http://tinypic.com/r/2dtddet/9

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
Kalinka! This show has the best soundtrack and uses it in the best way :allears:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I really don't like the color palate for this season :/

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I really don't like the color palate for this season :/

it seems...the same? Maybe I'm just not sensitive to that level of cinematography detail.

Edit: vvv Nice catches!

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I am loving how almost every conversation in season 3 so far has someone misunderstanding a word someone uses, or having to explain a word they used because the other person doesn't know what they meant.

It ties into the reveal in S2 of the Dad Cop working on a Universal Language to prevent these sort of situations, which, especially in Fargo-verse, cause all sorts of horrific misdeeds to escalate.

Varga knowing every language, and a bunch of the music in this season being vocal but non-language [that Italian fake-English song, the throat singing), all add to this beauty.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 29, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm not a big car buff, but is Ray's Corvette supposed to be in a good state? Because from the close-ups and the interior it seems I guess decent. But when they first introduced it with the valet bringing it in front of Emmit's house, it kind of looked like a eroded metal trash can in the shape of a car.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm not a big car buff, but is Ray's Corvette supposed to be in a good state? Because from the close-ups and the interior it seems I guess decent. But when they first introduced it with the valet bringing it in front of Emmit's house, it kind of looked like a eroded metal trash can in the shape of a car.

It's a '75 or '76 Coupe with a T-Top. It's actually not even worth restoring. Ray probably figured that the car would be worth more than the stamps in the future.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
vargas mentioning Corsican was pretty cool

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ewan Macgregor plays the two brothers waaaaaaaat

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Capntastic posted:

I am loving how almost every conversation in season 3 so far has someone misunderstanding a word someone uses, or having to explain a word they used because the other person doesn't know what they meant.

I feel the opposite. Everyone seems so goddamn dumb this season, I know it's intentional but it's just so grating to me. Only Nikki seems to understand anything whatsoever and I guess that's why I like her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barreft posted:

I feel the opposite. Everyone seems so goddamn dumb this season, I know it's intentional but it's just so grating to me. Only Nikki seems to understand anything whatsoever and I guess that's why I like her.

And even then she's not that smart, as with the Tampon stunt.

Calling it, this season is the Burn After Reading of Fargo.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

CBJSprague24 posted:

:barf:

Also, way to be discreet, Nikki.

I love that Ray looks like a bad Phillip Jennings disguise.

I so want Ewan to appear in the final season of The Americans now. drat.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Barreft posted:

Hard disagree. Rich McGregor is obviously a somewhat clever business man to reach the point he's at. The cop lady seems clever enough, but is also not used to most modern technology and is hard in the camp of 'the way I'm doing things now works perfectly fine'.

At some point I'll pick up on character names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

it seems...the same? Maybe I'm just not sensitive to that level of cinematography detail.

Edit: vvv Nice catches!

Idk. Grey and beige seem to be the dominant colors of almost every shot this year. Scenes between Emmitt and his lawyer take this so far they're practically in black & white.

• Locked thread