Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

So I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but what the hell was the deal with the ufo's?

The survivors reported seeing a UFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Season 4 will fade out to just the word "A"

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Fred Melman and now Ray Wise!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Fred Melman and now Ray Wise!

And Cop Mac!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cop Mac: just like regular Mac

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is an interesting take on Barton Fink

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

J Cronkite Valley Forge is a con man

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Oh, are you guys goin' fer Arby's?" :dance:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That episode was bizarre. I need to rewatch it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The animated portions reminded me so much of the World of Tomorrow animated short film.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i can help

i genuinely liked that episode even though it seems completely insular. it feels like they were an ep short in the season and just threw in a fun short story.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I'm so happy to see Cop Mac. I'm even happier that he is just Mac with a mustache.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Alot of heavy symbolism with the robot of the past / old chief / "I can help" aspect of the episode. I was kind of excited for a further extension of the LA Noir set pieces, though that seemed more of a nod to the thematic connection of the series to previous works than anything else.

It was interesting that the future speaker from the last cartoon sequence was voiced by the same V.M.Whatever guy who seems to be calling the shots for the technocrat crime organization, unless I was mistaken.

Edit: Cop Mac has to come back around in a serious way to tie in the thematic signaling of the episode / killing off a Its always sunny character each season right?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 4, 2017

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: Cop Mac has to come back around in a serious way to tie in the thematic signaling of the episode / killing off a Its always sunny character each season right?

Who did they kill off in season two?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Season 1 had three actors who have been on Always Sunny, and all three of their characters died. Season 2 also had one actor who'd been on Always Sunny, but he lived. Thanks IMDb.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It was interesting that the future speaker from the last cartoon sequence was voiced by the same V.M.Whatever guy who seems to be calling the shots for the technocrat crime organization, unless I was mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the astronaut in the very first cartoon sequence was Ewan McGregor, too.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Season 1 had three actors who have been on Always Sunny, and all three of their characters died. Season 2 also had one actor who'd been on Always Sunny, but he lived. Thanks IMDb.

I can only recall Dennis in season one.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Lost Season posted:

I'm pretty sure the astronaut in the very first cartoon sequence was Ewan McGregor, too.

Indeed it was, and the narrator I'm pretty sure was Jean Smart, matron of the Gerhardts in season 2.

quote:

i genuinely liked that episode even though it seems completely insular. it feels like they were an ep short in the season and just threw in a fun short story.

It all ties into the idea of stories and identity, which is entirely my jam. And we found out the Stussy connection.

It was nice to have two things that took us completely out of normal Fargo (LA and the animated dreams), but still felt like a Coen-y noir.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 4, 2017

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Neat casting that young conwoman Vivian (Francesca Eastwood) and older version (Frances Fisher) are actually mother-daughter.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

anime was right posted:

As soon as I saw The Most Useless Machine, I knew that the LA trip was going to be pointless and futile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86V_ICUCD4

The trip was a waste, but the episode was really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed the episode but it felt to me like something that might have been better suited to a little later in the season. That said, it wouldn't have fit for her to find out about Ennis' actual killer and then still head out to LA as it was written. It just felt a little early in the season for me to go on what felt like a somewhat self-contained side-story.

It's placement might make more sense to me in the context of the full season of course, and again it's not like I didn't really enjoy the episode. Especially Cop Mac's disastrous attempt at a date.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SaviourX posted:

Indeed it was, and the narrator I'm pretty sure was Jean Smart, matron of the Gerhardts in season 2.

the narrator was just Gloria, right?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

clown shoes posted:

Well golly, if you click the link you can find out who the others are!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Always a pleasure to see Ray Wise working!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nick Rivers posted:

Neat casting that young conwoman Vivian (Francesca Eastwood) and older version (Frances Fisher) are actually mother-daughter.

I thought they looked really similar. That makes sense.

Also that's Clint's daughter and ex-girlfriend, respectively.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 4, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So why was Ennis so old? He looked to be in his 20's or maybe his 30's and 35 years later he looks like Death's head.

Is Minnesota like Tatooine when it comes to aging? Hey, an Obi Wan tie in! Wrong actor, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is that loving Mac???

It's loving Mac!!! ahahahaha

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wasn't ready for a Nier: Automata crossover but we'll see what happens.

I can help!!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

For a second I thought it could also be that tall doughy friend neighbor from Love

Also thought the hotel was the same one they filmed the shootout at, but then I realized all motels basically look the same. It could have been shot at there maybe, like from a production point of view.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I keep hearing the iphone text clicking noise - it's been in two scenes now.

e: This is a great ride of an episode. Smooth and fun

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 4, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Anyone else hoping that season 3 continues the trend of casually mentioning one of the characters taking a thumb up their rear end during sex? Malvo in season one and Mike Milligan in season two.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Took me a while to remember Ray Wise's name though I recognised him, not used to seeing him without his white hair.
Also I guess that thing about the divorced/married soldier's wife is supposed to be a Schrödinger's Cat analogy, though I'm not quite sure what the significance of all the quantum stuff is.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

sout posted:

Took me a while to remember Ray Wise's name though I recognised him, not used to seeing him without his white hair.
Also I guess that thing about the divorced/married soldier's wife is supposed to be a Schrödinger's Cat analogy, though I'm not quite sure what the significance of all the quantum stuff is.

My guess at the shrodinger/quantum tie in is the stamp deal that led to the divergence of the Stussy brothers. In one state they get all the stamps and become the Parking Lot King, the other state they're stuck getting peed on by cons. Them being in the same quantum state could refer to them both increasingly getting involved in crime despite being in two different "states," i.e. having the stamps/not having the stamps is like the cat being both alive and dead until the box is opened.

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's the best connection to that idea I can come up with in the story so far.

Edit: Also tie-in how the audience all act as observers somehow, they only exist because we view them etc.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 4, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The inventor of the Useless Machine was AI researcher Marvin Minsky, who died in 2016. Nice tribute if nothing else. Apparently Arthur C. Clarke thought it was “unspeakably sinister“.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I really did not at all like the decisions made in that episode.

Also, the title hanging on 'Story' every episode is foreshadowing disappointment for me.

What the heck!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

clown shoes posted:

That's because the rest are nobodies no one has heard of or cares about.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm sure this episode would be fine if binge watching the whole season. But that was a let down.

It was an interesting background story, well done and entertaining.

But it just seemed like they were trying to fill time, for an entire episode.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I enjoyed that more than any other episode this season, but I couldn't tell you why. I wonder what Ray Wise was up to, was there some greater significance I missed?

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

So why was Ennis so old? He looked to be in his 20's or maybe his 30's and 35 years later he looks like Death's head.

Is Minnesota like Tatooine when it comes to aging? Hey, an Obi Wan tie in! Wrong actor, though.

Wasn't he hitting the bottle pretty hard for those 35 years? That should cause some aggressive aging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Not sure what I just watched, but I guess I learned the old man got his name from a toilet maker and the final 3 minutes had some movement, so that's something.

They should've made this a youtube backstory short or something. Loved the first two episodes but this one was just.. it wasn't even bad, just pointless. I'm sure it'll make sense with the whole season, man I hate appointment TV. I'll probably end up loving this episode once it's all done.

• Locked thread