Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mng posted:

Gotta have some stanky junk to flavor a cup of water like that.

Trust me.

I don't think the nasty taste was the point, it was an act of domination. They probably couldn't get away with straight-up having Sy take Varga directly in his mouth on FX (even if they could they were in a glass-windowed office), so the next best thing was having Varga indirectly make Sy suck Varga's dick without actually sucking his dick. Hence the talk of cuckolding and Varga taunting Sy about his wife.

It wasn't a Johnny Knoxville prank, they wanted Sy to know that he wasn't in charge anymore the way he was with Emmit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Why did the goons leave her alive? I can't figure out why beating someone almost to death (someone they don't have any leverage over to boot) and then leaving would be something professional button men would choose to do.

Like Kareem said, that was just another message to Sy that they're in control now and things will be done Varga's way. Sy has spent years thinking he's a real fixer, but all he's done to deal with the Ray situation is wreck his car a little, put boots on his tires and confront Nikki verbally. The car wreck in the parking lot is inconveniencing Varga, and Varga's boys are letting Sy know that they're in charge.

They had no reason to kill Nikki, they just wanted to do something blunt and violent to let Sy know how things were going to be from now on. No more letting anything slide and no kid gloves.

VV I don't recall anybody here saying it wasn't

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 22, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

It seems like the possibility of having the fake police officer get caught (or even seen) is a lot more dangerous to Varga than anything Nikki knows.

I think the show was just reestablishing that Varga has everything under control always at all times, except Gloria. Had she not been there his plan to kill Nikki would've gone off without a hitch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Varga didn't need the case file, he just wanted it because it kills him to not know things. He wanted to know what the police know, and he couldn't do that his usual way via the internet because Eden Valley is off the grid and their police station is stuffed in a library.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

New theory: Vargas has a twin

Sure he has a twin, he's named Varga. Varga is just the one we've been seeing all this time on the show and Vargas is away on business :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

I assumed it was either this, or wherever Hotline Miami stole it from (no idea if they did those specific masks and outfit first)

Pretty cool reference if so. It wouldn't surprise me if Noah was a gamer.

The animal masks plus Yuri's letterman jacket is very Hotline Miami, and it was the first thing to combine those two motifs that I'm aware of. But that game was more heavily informed by the scene in Drive where Driver puts on the full-head silicon mask and stands menacingly in the doorway of the restaurant before stalking Ron Perlman.

But I don't know, maybe there's a connection but Yuri's the only character with a varsity jacket. I do have to admit though, every single time I see any character in any media now wearing a varsity jacket and they're not specifically meant to be a high school football player I assume it's a Hotline Miami reference.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd rather have no Fargo at all than a Fargo with less of Hawley's involvement. Other than the latest episode this season's just been okay, and I don't know that I'd keep tuning in for a Fargo that Noah Hawley was barely involved with.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't know how to feel knowing Carrie Coon is only like two years older than me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't know, I've liked this season's story and many of its individual moments and the performances by everybody, but it feels like there's no "meat". Nikki and Wrench teaming up was about as close as they got to that Holy poo poo feeling from the first two seasons, and they had to bring back an old character to do it and that's within the last three episodes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

Varga didn't lie when he bamboozled Emmitt either. He said "MIGHT be equipped with a fingerprint scanner".

He only gave Emmitt enough misinformation to make Emmitt feel like he wasn't in control, and that having a gun gave him no extra leverage in that situation. Even killing Varga right then would've done nothing for Emmitt except hasten his own death, the mercenaries wouldn't have hesitated to gun him down after the fact. And they definitely would have if Emmitt tried to pull the trigger but the gun failed to fire.

It might've been a "noble sacrifice" or whatever if he took Varga down with him but again, Varga made him doubt even that.

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's this. Someone in the IRS or the FBI is on Varga's payroll, they went out of their way to show us that. And Varga may be a liar, but why would he "lie" to Gloria about being released? It's not as if he can intimidate her into doing anything dumb the way he did with Emmitt.

If the actual content of the season is valuable at all to story, Varga walks. If not, then we might as well imagine that Gloria just murders him right there in the cell or a meteorite hits the holding facility.

I was thinking that Gloria's smile at the end signified something very important, that while Varga is right and that in the real world people like him walk all the time, in Fargo Season 3 he's not in the real world and he's not a real person. He's a fictional character and allegorical figure, and anything can happen to him and all bets are off. He's just as likely to get arrested as he is to walk free in the world of Fargo the series, and the suspended moment at the end never ends. The credits roll and that moment never stops, he's forever frozen between two possibilities. And that in itself is a type of prison, one that he'll never escape from.

This is a true story.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I've been getting at, but I didn't pick up on her smile being that realization, and I believe you're right. In fact, I now believe that Gloria was telling a story to Varga. They were both telling each other stories that were equally likely, but equally unknowable to either of them (or us).

I think this might be my favorite season of Fargo.

I don't know, even understanding the motif of the season, I still have to say it's the weakest of the three. It just felt like Hawley got bored with the setting and tried to do something to shake up the formula, but couldn't fully realize it because his attention was divided with Legion.

At least it was leagues better than True Detective season 2... oy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maldoror posted:

Heh.

Ray's a kitten.

:3

Ray's going to starve to death as a kitten when Nikki never comes home :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought Paul Marraine (Ray Wise's character) was keeping kitten Ray.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Well I guess Ray will be happy eating garmonbozia in the Black Lodge for eternity.

• Locked thread