Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

EatinCake posted:

I like it. On more than one occasion I've had to explain to bright people that these aren't based in any way shape or form on real events. Like, they thought that something along the lines of the 'Massacre of Suex Falls' had actually occurred. Granted, I'm sure there's something historically similar that may have occurred, I feel it's safe to say most of these events are made up because they're fun stories.

The statement's not a lie. They are true stories! They're 100%, honest to god stories. They are actually stories. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a huge Always Sunny fan but tbh I wasn't too into Rob's cameo here. It honestly felt less like his fault and more like a directorial blunder, like he wasn't really used correctly. Sometimes he would deliver a line in a way that made you feel like he was lovable but dumb, and sometimes he'd deliver a line that made you feel like he was a scumbag, and for some reason the whiplash between the two takes edited together seemed really apparent to me. Could have also been poor casting maybe...?

But I actually really liked the producer character - or to be more precise, I hated him but I enjoyed the actor's performance. He was mostly congenial, sounding intelligent and optimistic, but near the end when he reveals that he's actually a slimy pimp who's not above laying his hands on someone and gruffly intimidating him after robbing him blind, I just got so skeeved out. What a gross character and an excellent portrayal.

"There's two kinds of people in the world. YOUR job is to cough up the cheddar, and SCREW!" Ugh, yuck...love it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I also got a lot of Lynch vibes from that long shot of Vargas spraying breath freshener in his mouth with spooky howling/droning sound in the background

Just in that way it made something almost comically mundane into something actually very intimidating

Very clear parallels between that scene and the scene in the premiere where the gently caress up parolee is exhaling pot smoke in slow mo with the throat singing music.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol that Ray keeps getting away with imitating his brother while wearing that loving wig

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Si's fake laugh, my god. Oh jeez

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah gently caress, Nikki is probably gonna die :(

Probably followed closely by Si. Maybe.

I can at least say this: one of them will not make it to the end of the episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The coffee mug scene was really weird, because we are supposed to believe he pissed in the mug and Sy drank it, but who pisses into a mug by rubbing it in their crotch like that? The piss would have gotten all over his pants, and his dick would have been bathed in his own piss as it sloshed out onto his pants, what the gently caress

Nah man! It was just a mug full of water. Varga used his dick and balls as a tea bag and made some nasty smelling and nasty tasting water, which the goons then forced Sy to drink. No piss involved.

Though I did think about the fact that it should have made Varga's pants really wet, and it would have been a very uncomfortable situation in his underwear region for the rest of the day. But we already know Varga's a pretty disgusting human being so even that's not all that surprising.

EDIT:

Krispy Kareem posted:

He didn't piss in it. Unless you had a raging urinary track infection where the pee just dribbles out it'd be impossible to pee in a cup like that without making a mess. He just put his junk in the cup and then they filled it with water and Sy had to drink it. I've only got a 720p TV, but maybe someone with 1080 can rewind that scene and see if there were any random pubes floating in the cup.

So yeah, just junk in the cup. Like Accretionist said, he managed to get his balls in there as well.

Oh, did they pour the water in after the ball rubbing? That would make way more sense, especially since during the part where Varga had his junk in the mug there were a lot of squeaking noises ADR'ed in which would make it seem more like the sound of saggy ball skin sliding against ceramic porcelain.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 19, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Numberwang posted:

I think they made the mistake of making almost every character a bit too quirky or cartoony. Because of this even the most brutal scenes lack a real sense of dread.

For me this has the opposite effect. Watching characters like Nikki or Sy bumble around and say "aw jeez" in their funny accent a lot makes them cartoonish and endearing, but then when the poo poo really hits the fan it's all the more horrifying because they're just so, so out of their element.

When the thugs grabbed Nikki by the hair and she screamed as she suddenly realized she was in way over her head, that was chilling, imo. To equate it to your metaphor, it'd be like watching Bugs Bunny get brutally beat by two gangsters and left for dead in an abandoned parking lot.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, Emmit finally grows a backbone. Only like a year and a half too late

fake edit: Pretty much guaranteed that gun would have fired just fine, but it doesn't matter because Varga made Emmit believe the truth that was most convenient for Varga

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That is exactly how I was hoping that scene would end and imo it's probably the only ending I respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

"Well, OK then" - my reaction to Fargo Season 3.

A lot of good that does us without being able to hear you say it :rolleyes:

Well, OK Then is the saltine cracker of comments: you add your own topping and that changes the flavor fundamentally

• Locked thread