Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mary had a little clam posted:

I realize this may have been the point, but the robot animation sequences made me... incredibly sad. That final shot of it... holy poo poo, man. Wrecked me.

I can help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Good enough episode, but really could do without the level of convenient ease which the bad guys are able to coordinate everything. Began to make me roll my eyes akin to watching Negan on twd.

edit: gently caress, beaten

WhiteHowler posted:

Uh oh. I've been enjoying the season so far, but I think this episode may have crossed the line into my personal least favorite trope: the omnipotent antagonist.

Villains with unlimited resources and knowledge tend to just torpedo my interest in a show or movie. Break into a police station and scare away an officer by doing nothing? Infiltrate another police station to nearly murder an inmate? Have the first guy somehow magically know the attempt had failed and get to exactly the right spot to intercept a prisoner transfer bus - in a different city, presumably within an hour or two?

It would be so much better if we could see their methodology and/or challenges, like we did with Malvo in S1 and... well... everyone in S2.

I'm sure that since this is Fargo, Varga and company will probably get theirs in the end (most likely in a horrific way), but I feel like building them up to be (at least temporarily) all-powerful has made them much less compelling than the previous seasons' antagonists.

You forgot the russian conveniently had a (loving bettery powered?) angle grinder to get through the bus interior.

The long and drawn out shot of the bus ride removed all suprise from the end.

I take back what I posted earlier. It was a groan worthy episode. I mean it even lessened Gloria for me when ninja lester manages to disarm her when she had him dead to rights.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 1, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

NetflixAndRichHill posted:

Please save Nikki Mr. Wrench :(

I should probably watch the first two seasons. I suspected he was more than just a random guy sitting next to her.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Sorry, you cannot handwave away the issues with good old fashion googling. Have you actually done a google search of late? Takes forever to find helpful info due to 99.9999% of results being sales sites artificially bumped to the top of the list.

The paperwork nightmare is an excellent point as well. Guy walks right past local cop guarding door with a foot of space to get between his desk and wall, not once but twice.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but this is 2010 Google

Touche. However it still doesn't explain away their impeccable timing and coordination.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

I'm finding myself rolling my eyes at the constant metaphors and story asides the antagonists seem so fond of (whether it's Varga, Moe, or the Ukrainian). Every conflict has seemingly required them to deliver one and it's gotten a bit tiresome, and I'm really hoping at least one at the end ends with Nikki/Gloria basically going "oh my god WHO CARES" and cutting them off to ice them/arrest them/whatever.

Yeah, it was satisfying to see Gloria pretty much "talk to the hand" to Varga at Stuckie's office. A flat out "shut the gently caress up" would be awesome.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

She's seen the big players. Even the little she does know is probably considered too much.

Why not just kill her in the motel rather than involve the police who up til then knew nothing about where she was located? Perhaps it was to enforce the narrative that Ray beat her, but how/why/wtf on earth did they switch gears so quickly into needing to pull a fake officer with a hypo out of their rear end in order to kill her? Lacked more subtle options than while in a jail cell of a station that requires multiple layers of paperwork to speak with a jailed person?

It's all just a bit too much at this point.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Trillhouse posted:

But Varga's goon was in the motel room with piano wire before the cops came. And then he left before the cops came. I guess his headphones had police dispatch (or a call from someone with police connections) and he decided he didn't want to be there when the cops came?

Didn't he get the call/text from Varga about Ray being dead, then left?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Maybe Varga has been hacking all of the electronics so that they never respond to Gloria's presence. :thunk:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sticklefifer posted:

Gloria didn't, no, but Nikki DID see Meemo's face, meaning she wouldn't have cooperated to put the cuffs on in the cell, and he wouldn't have been able to leave if she caused a scene. The fake cop had to do it silently, and the second she saw Meemo in there his cover would've been blown. Therefore, use a henchman unknown to her, cuff her to the bars, and kill her silently with the syringe. But yeah, the fake cop being DJ Qualls most likely means he'll be expanded upon.

I rewatched last night. Outside the cell area door, is the desk with about 2' of space between it and the wall for a person to get through (where Gloria asks first to be let in to speak to Nikki). At that desk is a cop facing anyone attempting to get in. Have to assume it was a fake cop attempting to kill Nikki. A known cop would have been recognized by the door guard, and the door guard could have easily said "oh yeah, that was so-and-so". Not only did fake cop get past that guard, but then Gloria as well right after. Only when the shot rang out (that ninja sweeping leg disarming Gloria was even more ridiculous on the rewatch) did anyone seem to notice that people were in the cell room. Not a single person saw Qualls go in or run out... This after they made a huge point of both the paperwork thing as well as there being barely enough room to move in the various parts of the building.

Regarding the woman trying to buy the company, at this point I believe she is partners in Varga's scheme. Likely it was her fake cop and likely that it was Varga that she was on the phone with in the restaurant after Stussi was told about Ray and when the cop approached her to ask questions. Trying to manipulate Stussy into selling for dirt cheap?

It appeared the new chief was one of the cops that broke into Nikki's room and pulled her out of the window, and also when first interrogating Nikki, nearly verbatim repeated the fake abuse theory Varga came up with. Would explain how Varga knew so quickly that she was going to the Fed prison under "protective custody" and the route/time the bus would be on. If this is the case it makes his character even more eye-rollingly bad.

The reason Varga needs Enis' report? I havent the foggiest.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 3, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

They could have easily taken an extra 20 seconds for the two chiefs to arrive, but instead, they were in there almost immediately and that's got to mean something.

On xmas eve no less.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ornithology posted:

Can someone outline the instances where she was not detected by technology? I don't remember it happening before the latest episode but I was pretty drunk while watching a few of them.

Mainly motion detector doors and washroom appliances.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Good, came back to the thread to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought her mutant powers cause the problem. I didn't even think it was meant to be subtle.

It would have just as easily turned off when she was chatting with the jail guard earlier. If she was the cause it is yet more badly thought out writing.

Besides, her mutant power is stuff not acknowledging her existence, not things turning off completely due to proximity.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

While the villains this season are borderline too strong/powerful,

Borderline? :psyduck:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Are we to assume Burgles cop friend's questioning of the lady in the restaurant didn't result in anything?
Or did I miss something this week.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Winnie's questioning of the Widow Goldfarb wasn't mentioned.

I doubt much came out of it. Emmit was acting strange, but not insanely so. Plus the Widow Goldfarb wanted to make a deal with Emmit.

All she had to ask is how long Emmit was there. Unless it was Vargas filling her in on the phone she would have known nothing of Rays death.

As far as the last ep, the welding up a ramp to flip the bus furthers my opinion that Vargas and his goons omnipotence is comically overdone. The whole timing alone was ridiculous prior to showing actual construction of a ramp. Made it all even more ludicrous.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 11, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

romanowski posted:

did you complain about malvo disappearing from the basement in season one too

No, because this is the first season I've watched.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Chief Deputy Burgle is a very pretty lady indeed, but Nikki Swango has stolen my heart. :allears:

I'd spoon with Burgle, but shower or hot tub with Swango.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Final scene will be Nikki and Gloria eating cream pie.

:quagmire:

Wanna Burgle that Swango

So which books were leaked to the auditor? Gonna assume the real ones. Maybe Sy woke up?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, but he had Swango. :swoon:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Gloria hadn't mentioned which murders yet.

How many henchmen were killed at (inside) the warehouse? Maybe she'd try to pin those on him as she has his photo when he was on-scene.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
It was a decent season, save the omnipotent bad guys. Especially that idiocy about the deputy going back for his gun and the russian brain washing him or whatever the hell that was supposed to be.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Doltos posted:

It was a really good season but I wish they didn't do the Lord of War justified ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fartbox posted:

The deputy was a pussy and a bit of a dolt, as every appearance he was in showed. He was intimidated, because he was a mild mannered pussy who probably never drew his gun on anyone let alone a hardened criminal who was daring him

But he never thought to mention the occurrence to Gloria.

I would add the oddity of taking a handgun out of a holster and laying it on a counter. As a concealed carrier (licensed) it is on the level of willful idiocy. I would have to make a clear decision to do something that odd, unless I was in the midst of field stripping it for cleaning. Sorry if this sounds like a gun sperg, but it really is odd. Hell, I wouldn't even do that at home.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread