Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
It's so rad to see such quality female roles in shows this good. When Gloria headed back out to the car I actually said out loud "get that shotgun you bad rear end" and then she did, completely fearless.

This season is going to be the best yet, I have a feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Why did the goons leave her alive? I can't figure out why beating someone almost to death (someone they don't have any leverage over to boot) and then leaving would be something professional button men would choose to do.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Have to admit I'm becoming a little disappointed with this season overall. Ep 1 was stellar, probably the best of the season openers but I just don't find the story all that compelling. The characters are solid, the writing is very good, I don't know, the whole plot just kinda feels uninspired.

And maybe I'm the only one but I thought Ray being killed by the stamp was extremely hamfisted. I know Fargo is a quirky show where the unlikely happens but it felt forced and a little too far, even for this show.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I liked Varga at first but he's become my least favorite part of the season. He's like Ramsey Bolton in GoT- evil for the sake of being evil/shocking and without any sort of window into what his motives are (sorry but "power" in the abstract is just not enough) his cruelty is just vapid and tiresome.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Wafflecopper posted:

If Gloria made the camera not work, that would mean fake cop's plan was to murder Nikki with the camera rolling, which would be dumb, especially if it was supposed to look like a suicide. Plus we've seen no evidence that Gloria's presence stops electronics from working at all, only that they don't detect her. Seems much more likely to me that the obvious solution is the correct one: fake cop was a Varga goon and the cameras were hacked.

Yeah I mean it's not as if the show hasn't gone out of its way to show that Varga's organization is capable of electronic hacking shenanigans to a crazy extent.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Didn't care for the episode and barring a big turnaround this season is turning out to be a huge disappointment for me. As someone else said, I'm just not invested in any of the characters except for Gloria and while seasons 1 and 2 definitely had some magical realism, this season just seems completely detached from reality in an unflattering way.

When the UFOs showed up in Season 2 it was a mindfuck. In this season 2 characters meet a wizard in an alternate dimension/plane of existence and it wasn't even that interesting or surprising.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Why wouldn't Emmitt tell Gloria about Varga?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Also I felt that the connection and success Ray and Nikki had while playing Bridge was a reflection of how much they were in touch with one another overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fast Luck posted:

Varga got a text message telling him the IRS had gotten his books, so we know he's got people on the inside of federal agencies. Varga knows he was the subject of a huge tax investigation and knows he's taking a risk by entering the US again. So therefore he also surely has taken measures to protect himself. That's why he'll walk out of that room, but that's too much time I've spent already arguinbg this and getting drawn in by one of these gimmick ambiguous open endings.

It's this. Someone in the IRS or the FBI is on Varga's payroll, they went out of their way to show us that. And Varga may be a liar, but why would he "lie" to Gloria about being released? It's not as if he can intimidate her into doing anything dumb the way he did with Emmitt.

If the actual content of the season is valuable at all to story, Varga walks. If not, then we might as well imagine that Gloria just murders him right there in the cell or a meteorite hits the holding facility.

• Locked thread