Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Barreft posted:

I feel the opposite. Everyone seems so goddamn dumb this season, I know it's intentional but it's just so grating to me. Only Nikki seems to understand anything whatsoever and I guess that's why I like her.
Hard disagree. Rich McGregor is obviously a somewhat clever business man to reach the point he's at. The cop lady seems clever enough, but is also not used to most modern technology and is hard in the camp of 'the way I'm doing things now works perfectly fine'.

At some point I'll pick up on character names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

clown shoes posted:

I really wish they'd keep that "true story" stuff limited to the first episode. We don't need to see it every episode.

I like it. On more than one occasion I've had to explain to bright people that these aren't based in any way shape or form on real events. Like, they thought that something along the lines of the 'Massacre of Suex Falls' had actually occurred. Granted, I'm sure there's something historically similar that may have occurred, I feel it's safe to say most of these events are made up because they're fun stories.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

The original Fargo was partly based on at least a couple incidents if I remember correctly. Now, it's just a stylistic holdover for the most part I'm sure.

Kinda sorta, but only the wife murder and wood chipper thing.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Best show on TV right now?

Hands down.

This season hasn't felt as powerful as season 2, but on par with season 1 for me. The Peter & the Wolf bit is so incredibly goofy but works so well. Between that and the minimal yet clever characterizations man this show is so much fun.

It's also striking to me how much more I care and want to know more about the asian headphone-loving henchman than any character that's ever been on the Walking Dead. They might be over the top, and goofy, but man they're interesting.

Can't wait to see how this plays out. I hope either:

1) Emmet gets killed and replaced by Ray, rest of the season we get to enjoy Ray pretending to be him

2) The brothers reconcile and join forces to defeat Varga

or really anything else. These writers are great, I trust em'.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
:smith:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

well, one of them was gonna get it. maybe both before we're done.

Definitely both when we're done. Though who knows!

It's really amazing how anticlimactic and unsuposing this was done tho. I really thought Ray & Emmit's conflict would last to the end.

These writers really know how to channel the Coen Brothers.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 25, 2017

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Really dug it.

I don't think it's the same kind of omnipresent bad guys. Unlike the Negan shenanigans, they've shown how they're doing it- good ol' fashioned hacking into local city police stations and Googling. Not to mention that they aren't really tracking that many people. She was in the clink for awhile, so I can see there being a plan & back-up plan set in place. Sure it's a stretch, but they've shown us how they're doing it, and have kept to that pretty strictly.

Officer running through the door not being seen kinda caught me off guard, but it fits with the general theme of how easy it is to miss something you aren't looking for even if you're looking right at it.

Here's hoping Mr Wrench saves the day. That ending was something beautiful and terrifying.

quote:

I am not even sure if I'm rooting for someone. It used to be Ray and Nikki, but then they became pretty horrible and dumb (and now one is dead) so that changed. Obviously the show wants me to root for Gloria, but she feels underdeveloped and more of a plot device (necessity?) in comparison to Molly from S1 or the Solversons (Lou, Betsy and also Hank) from S2.

Strongly disagree on both thoughts :D. Nikki from the get go has been shown to have street smarts, and I don't think anything's really changed outside of her underestimating thugs. Also Gloria had an entire episode where they fleshed her out? Even in this episode the way she describes how put together her theory of the crimes (paper something or other) oozes character.

Maybe your issue is just that there haven't been as many scenes of her in the past three episodes or so doing things that weren't working the case.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 1, 2017

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Sorry, you cannot handwave away the issues with good old fashion googling. Have you actually done a google search of late? Takes forever to find helpful info due to 99.9999% of results being sales sites artificially bumped to the top of the list.
Huh. Maybe it's because I deal in research, but I don't usually have a problem finding what I'm looking for via google searches any more than I would have seven years ago.

Particularly for information about people, it's scary how easy it is to find things out. You can look at Ken Bone from the state's for one example of that. If you know someone's name and profession, chance is good you can find a great deal out about them- as they show Varga doing awhile back.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

General Dog posted:

To have Gloria basically solve the case and then put her in a holding pattern for 4 episodes, blocked by a character who makes no sense is just bad writing. It's even more excusable that they're returning to that well after doing the same poo poo in season 1.

I don't want to sound too much like an apologist, but I'd still like to wave the flag that they are justifying it.

For Season 1 you had Bob Odenkirk who was a chief of police that couldn't fathom terrible things happening in his hometown, so he was incapable of understanding the crime until it was obvious. They set it up fine enough that he knows Lester well and it just doesn't jive with him that Lester would commit the crimes he's accused of. That's fine.

Season 2 had the cocky detective cop, who filled the same role but was eventually fleshed out a bit when he shared Vietnam stories & showed he was halfway competent in action.

WIth Moe we have a dude who came straight from the military, is trying to assert that he's the boss, and is apparently a strict adherent of Occam's razor.

I suppose what it's missing is the personal element. We haven't seen him in many scenes where he isn't just saying "no", and that's probably what's hurting it. But, the setup is at least there.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 2, 2017

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
^What he said.

I quoted someone else on this earlier, but Odenkirk was a fine character. He wasn't flat out obstructionist, he just couldn't fathom a world where someone like Lester could commit such sinister crimes. His world wasn't built for that, and I might be remembering this wrong but I'm pretty sure he retires at the end of the season because of his world view getting shattered by it.

ChesterJT posted:

Talk down to, sure. Ignore clear cut evidence of a homicide spree and conspiracy? No.

I think it fits in pretty well with the general theme of this season: people have an incredible weakness against stories. This guy immediately decided that Gloria is an insubordinate and everything she's said and does falls under that lens. He's writing her off at mostly because of the sunk cost of his narrative view of her. And that makes him blind to what to us is clear cut evidence.

Still, it'd definitely help to have a couple of scenes with him with someone that isn't Gloria.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I was also kinda bummed when a fourth goon showed up in the prison. I was so ready for one of the big reveals at the end to be that Varga's operation is actually just him, the two goons, and their truck... but I feel like they might go in the opposite direction now- Varga is caught but they pull back to show thousands of others like him meandering about tricking their own parking lot kings.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Craptacular posted:

Did I totally miss something or has the part of the first episode with the Stasi interrogation not been explained at all yet?

The guy that actually committed the crime is Yuri, the Russian goon. Other than that, mostly just framing the central theme of the season.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I liked Varga at first but he's become my least favorite part of the season. He's like Ramsey Bolton in GoT- evil for the sake of being evil/shocking and without any sort of window into what his motives are (sorry but "power" in the abstract is just not enough) his cruelty is just vapid and tiresome.

Disagree in that I can't think of an action he's taken that cruelty for cruelty's sake, as opposed to cruelty to send a message. Every action they've taken has been to either cover their tracks, gather info, or intimidate people into doing what they want.

Overall his motive seems to be amassing wealth and using it to enjoy the bounty of being wealthy while planning ahead for the peasant revolt. Though it's harder to tell if there's any truth to that because manipulation is his theme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again I didn't really mind Bolton either, as sadists do exist. Though in that case, that was certainly cruelty for cruelties sake above and beyond reason.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

precision posted:

Yeah, while I understand some of the complaints about this season, I don't get the complaints about Varga. Thewlis is killing it.

Mmhm. The thoughts on him being omnipresent are still weird to me, as each season's had it's impossibly competent baddie. From Malvo or Hansee, folks who are unrealistically good at the bad they do is a staple of the series.

drat that Ray Wise reveal was perfect. 20 minutes of tension, spontaneous violence, and action met with a minute of downtime and that slow pan. I think the last time I saw something that satisfying was season 2's War Pig's scene.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

LentThem posted:

i feel bad for gloria spending 9 episodes swinging between optimistic and sardonic while being constantly poo poo on and doing very little to advance the actual story. the only intelligent person that's paid attention to her at all is ray wise's character

It's advanced her portion of the story, and helped put into context the things Varga has been doing to cover his tracks.

I have to wonder at this point if she'll actually solve the case proper, or if Swango will deliver karmic justice to Varga while Gloria moves on. I feel like the Coen Brother's would go for the later, but it's hard to tell if this show would be so cynical.

Also, Swango is a pretty great name.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Season one was excellent but I had similar complaints about sheriff Bob Odenkirk stopping the investigation multiple times for no good reason. And at least he got the late season explanation that he was a super nice guy adopting orphans and was over his head as a cop. Maybe Dammik will get a similar character development?

I've mentioned this before in this thread as this keeps coming up, but Odenkirk definitely had a good reason- his character believed in the natural good of people and had known Lester forever. The orphans is an extension of being a swell person, but it was more about that he couldn't see Lester as a murderer in his world view and based on his prior experience. Being over his head was also part of that, as being in a small town he had no experience really knowing what to look for.

Dick cop is certainly one dimensional, but he similarly has been presented as a military man who is a strict adherent to the simple solutions. There's also fun stuff going on in that he's trying to assert his dominance as the police chief and was from the outset ready to disregard Gloria as just trying to justify her previous position. Though yeah, it really wouldn't hurt to have a scene with him that wasn't about the case or where he's not just saying no to her.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Where was Mr. Wrench in season 2?

Heavily implied that it's him and Mr.Numbers who are the kids playing baseball that Hanzee walks up to at the very very end.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

The season is good but why the gently caress do they have to focus on Vargas disgusting teeth? It's just grating and doesn't add anything.

I dunno, it's pretty informative of who he is. For the ordinary person, having teeth that bad would be very painful and they'd probably do something about it. That he doesn't show any of that is a short cut to show us how focused he is on whatever it is he's doing at the moment.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Metropolis posted:

I'd rather a misdirect lead to something more interesting than what I thought was going to happen, not less interesting.

I feel like in that case you might not enjoy many of the Coen Brothers films

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

White Rabbit posted:

I agree, I'm sure the finale will be a good episode but there's very little satisfying character moments in S3 so far compared to the previous seasons. Carrie Coon is pretty much posturing as the good cop but she doesnt do much aside from the pilot episode. Ray was the most developped character but died really stupidly, it felt out of character for him to pick a fight with his brother at this point (he should have been way too busy worrying about Nikki) and the piece of glass to the neck was too on the nose. Those kinds of tragic-comedic deaths are usually reserved to villains, who have it coming in a karmic sense, not Ray on the run with revenge on his mind...
On the anticlimatic death- that's kinda on par with the Coen Brothers films where 'poo poo happens' sometimes cruel and often unsatisfactory. Also, kinda like Game of Thrones, cutting that plot line uncomfortably short of it's trajectory really jolted the plot in a slightly different direction that's been great to watch.

It also just occurred to me that given this season is about stories, it's reflective of how Ray couldn't break free from his own story. He determined that he was the hero and Emmit was the villian. Emmit just giving him the stamp out of nowhere didn't fit that story, so he instinctually rejected that, as it had to be a trick. He's got the same determination as Gloria to stick to that story given the evidence as he's understood it.

Accretionist posted:

He wanted simplicity that life couldn't provide. :smith:

Rest in piece, Ray Stussy. Too good, too pure for this world.
He got reborn as a kitten tho :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And if saying "when the Gophers play, put a little beer in a bowl and put it in front of the TV" for Kitty Ray isn't true love, then I don't know what is :colbert:

The Midwestern heart in one sentence.

• Locked thread