Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The inventor of the Useless Machine was AI researcher Marvin Minsky, who died in 2016. Nice tribute if nothing else. Apparently Arthur C. Clarke thought it was “unspeakably sinister“.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Heck I see it all the time in webcomics threads. Right down to “I'm sure it'll work fine as a page in the book.“

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Capntastic posted:

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga.
If that's the case he's basically spelling it out with the whole line about a fleet of decoy planes just to make your movements invisible (if I remember correctly).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gret posted:

Why didn't Emmett just run over Vargas?
A lot of variations on why he would and wouldn't definitely went through my head in the few seconds between he showed up and got in the car, including "he's thinking about it... but too late, now he's in the car." That's probably just my imagination running wild, though, and it's not actually in the scene.

This show, man. I feel like when people finally start dying, it's gonna be vicious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I do feel that S3 has made me want to see the villains get their comeuppance far more than previously, which is impressive given this is the same show with Dodd Gerhardt. To see a moment when the Wolf finally meets someone who is not afraid of him.
Eh, all it takes is someone he has no leverage over. Someone he can't research and blackmail with family members.

... someone who isn't on Facebook.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If last episode's ending doesn't do it for you, I don't know. That was maybe the most brutal Fargo has ever been. Passing a guy through the meatgrinder, now that's quirky.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, Gloria doesn't give a single poo poo about Varga's theatrics. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Moe just can't admit he might be wrong, especially to his soon-to-be subordinate. He's felt from the start he has to clean up Eden Valley's mess and get them in line (they don't even use computers!) and he'll be damned if he's going to back down, no matter how he has to justify it to himself. All that said, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he was on Varga's payroll.

That's really the only thing that bugs me slightly - all the time it's been strictly Varga, Yuri and Meemo to the point where you could seriously question if their organization even has anyone else, now they have to get an inside man suddenly.

I absolutely didn't recognize Wrench. But the way the shot was framed made it very obvious that someone significant was sitting next to Nikki, so when his face was revealed I thought "are we supposed to know this guy from somewhere...?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Meemo was at Ray's place when Varga talked to Emmet. Emmet even asks about him. And once they had to craft a narrative to cover up Emmet's involvement, it didn't make sense anymore for Nikki to be found dead in a motel room. Sudden death in a jail cell looks weird but after the narrative is established, that no longer matters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jfood posted:

The real mystery is, did Varga hack the cameras or did Gloria being in the vicinity gently caress them up?
holy poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure that's the point both about the dangers of social media, where everyone has an account connected to more info than they know, and about Varga's "crazy hacking skills." He loves to make people think he's got super hackers but as soon as he doesn't find Gloria on Facebook he's stumped and has to send out Yuri for physical information retrieval. Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google. He's recognizing the potential of social media for his own line of work and he works well with what's there, but doesn't actually go far beyond the surface.

Although that doesn't really seem to mesh well with shutting off the surveillance camera in a police station remotely so who knows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But if he got nothing for "Eden Valley police department" he wouldn't get anything for "Eden Valley police department webpage" either, you add additional terms if you get too many results and want to narrow it down

I'm starting to think this really is just the show being dodgy with showing internet stuff and not subtle characterization :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you think about it, this guy has been involved with what is implied to be the crime syndicate in Fargo for his whole adult life and he learned from Hanzee of all people. Nikki's pretty good but I figure the plan to steal the truck and corner Varga in a hotel lobby with no backup isn't all her.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And it fits with the machine that doesn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

American Gods is getting a new showrunner?

If yes, good, that show is nothing short of amazing visually, but kind of a mess in the writing department.

• Locked thread