Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's as much as the show is willing to let people know ahead of time:
http://www.avclub.com/article/brothers-bridge-background-girl-what-we-can-actual-253563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

What the hell is this music?

Throat singing!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you guys think we'll see the Germans again or was that this show's equivalent of the opening to A Serious Man?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How did Maurice kill Ennis exactly?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the other guy Ewan McGregor is playing?

He is playing both Stussy brothers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Is this season still as big of a mess as Season 2 or is it back to the unparalleled greatness of Season 1?

It has been literally one episode. Also season 2 rules and I'm coming to your house to fight you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm also from metro Detroit and the only time I've ever heard that phrase is on Clone High regarding a swimming pool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I made it through seven episodes of the Young Pope and he never even fucks. Why would I watch a show about a Pope that doesn't gently caress?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not everyone knows what a Hugo looks like

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

IS the old guys house the same as the gertharts?

The Gerharts didn't even live in Minnesota as I recall

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The movie is also that way. Fargo is just where Buscemi and Stormare came from I believe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sy trying to look intimidating with that stupid mustache was hilarious

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unfathomable Pinheadery is the name of my punk album

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cop Mac: just like regular Mac

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is an interesting take on Barton Fink

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nick Rivers posted:

Neat casting that young conwoman Vivian (Francesca Eastwood) and older version (Frances Fisher) are actually mother-daughter.

I thought they looked really similar. That makes sense.

Also that's Clint's daughter and ex-girlfriend, respectively.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 4, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Help me out here: I watched that whole episode and didn't notice a Ray Wise and don't recognize his character's name on IMDb. What are we all talking about with him? Was he just in the preview of episode 4?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Howard reminded me a lot of Sy Ableman.
Well he is played by Sy Abelman.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the Fargoest possible intro.

Also welcome back Billy Bob.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can we put an end to whistling tea kettles during important moments on tv dramas?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

White Rabbit posted:

Heck. What? Did Hanzee change his face again?

For some odd reason I like this Winnie officer, hope she teams up with Gloria and reveals her inner bitch and plays bad cop.

Listen to the Peter and the Wolf narration

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ovenboy posted:

Probably coincidental, but since minnesota had a ton of scandinavian immigrants it might also be intentional. "Varg" is a scandinavian word for wolf, and . "Varga-" wouldbe a prefix for things pertaining to wolves, or other bad things. Like in the Swedish "vargavinter" = a harsh winter, or "vargatider" = bad times.

Varga Vikernes

Also David Thewlis is most famous for playing a werewolf

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Varga definitely has a high level of intimidation to him. I was trying to pinpoint what it is that he's doing. I think it's the fact that he has 100% confidence, and not that he really believes in himself, just that he gives absolutely zero shits about any objection. Mix in his initial appearance of a disheveled business man and you find yourself with a pretty intimidating character. I don't think he would have the same screen presence if he was clean cut in a $1000 suit.

Which begs the question, who's the most intimidating Fargo character so far?:

Lorne Malvo
Mike Milligan
Hanzee
Bear Geirhardt
Varga
Russian bodyguard guy
Asian bodyguard guy

Malvo. Mike is my favorite but he was more fun than scary.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Professor Lupin is all well and good but I will forever remember Thewlis as Knox Hamilton in the Big Lebowski.

That is my second favorite movie and I couldn't tell you who Knox Hamilton is.

Edit: oh he's the flamboyant assistant. Completely unrecognizable!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michael Stuhlbarg has really become one of my favorite actors

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Every season of this show has had a disrespected/underappreciated cop, hasn't it? I know at least two of the three have had a bumbling couple in which at least one dies.

They all have pretty much the same set of character types.

Also lol Sy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was that Lester? Isn't he dead?

EDIT: oh it was DJ Qualls, not Martin Freeman

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ehud posted:

Wasn't Mr. Wrench deaf in season 1?

Nothing about this appearance suggested he isn't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Sorry, you cannot handwave away the issues with good old fashion googling. Have you actually done a google search of late? Takes forever to find helpful info due to 99.9999% of results being sales sites artificially bumped to the top of the list.

The paperwork nightmare is an excellent point as well. Guy walks right past local cop guarding door with a foot of space to get between his desk and wall, not once but twice.

Yeah but this is 2010 Google

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ok so Xfinity is only letting me watch the recording that my parents made last night, but they hosed it up somehow and the recording didn't start until Mr. Wrench was cutting Nikki loose. What did I miss before then?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Where was Mr. Wrench in season 2?

Probably kindergarten?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The loving recording hosed up again and for some reason just cut to commercial in the middle of a scene, which meant I missed Nikki getting shot in the head after killing a cop? I need to rewatch this episode and episode 8 later just for the scenes I missed for seemingly no reason.

Oh, and the scene between Dollard and Gloria. And that the Widow Goldfarb is involved.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This was a season of great moments and an underwhelming overall product. The first two seasons are pretty much perfect and the first season of Legion is my favorite TV of this year so I can't get too mad about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

For anyone who didn't know, Mary Elizabeth Winstead ("The Swango") has a gorgeous voice and recorded an album with producer Dan "The Automator" Nakamura as Got a Girl. It's pretty great, especially if you liked groups like Lovage, Bitter:Sweet, and Portishead.

The video for "Did We Live Too Fast":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6upBLkbj8

I didn't realize that but it makes sense because she's on the second Deltron 3030 album.

SimonChris posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that the Bridge subplot never went anywhere? I wanted to see The Swango kick rear end at Bridge tournaments...

Her Bridge abilities informed her ability to outsmart Varga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

American Gods is getting a new showrunner?

If yes, good, that show is nothing short of amazing visually, but kind of a mess in the writing department.

The reason he's leaving is over budget constraints, so it will probably be bad in both departments!

• Locked thread