Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good starting episode.

I feel like they are doing the not finishing their sentences thing, a lot more often this time around. Which also happened in The Legion (but I thought it was justified there due to the main character's mental condition).

Anyway, towards the end I was shouting at Ray for being an idiot and not disarming Maurice, and then yelling "yes! push!" at Nikki & Ray... so that's a sign that I was enjoying the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Stupid question, but the fluid that was going into the drain in that cold opening interrogation scene, was water from the snow melting from the guy's shoes, right?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good episode. Quite a few funny stuff with the computers theme. I liked Irv's interaction with Google.

I also think I like the new police chief character. He gave the old chief some attitude, so maybe we're supposed to dislike him? But, I mean, maybe the old ways weren't so efficient.... (unless we're going to have a Battlestar Gallactica storyline).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Krispy Kareem posted:

So all her teletexts were going nowhere then? Since she wasn't ever getting a response?
I thought she was being sarcastic or something there. Like implying a "... and nobody cares, really ".

I also get the feeling that maybe the writers are not going for a super focused and efficient police officer role this time around, like they did with Molly in season one and Lou in season two.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm not a big car buff, but is Ray's Corvette supposed to be in a good state? Because from the close-ups and the interior it seems I guess decent. But when they first introduced it with the valet bringing it in front of Emmit's house, it kind of looked like a eroded metal trash can in the shape of a car.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good episode.

Even though Ray's death was unexpected, I'm kind of glad they won't do the couple on the run they did last season. And to be honest, Ray and Nikki both made some very careless and downright stupid moves, and this felt like a downward spiral for them for a while now.

Nikki seemed to be the smarter one; but ultimately that was only in comparison to Ray -- she hasn't made many (or any) smart moves recently.

I don't know what to make of the IRS plot thread. Was that it? It kind off got resolved in a very expected way... Although, Vargas said they would show cooked books, but then they just used the Chinese hitman and legalese to gain time.

Is Vargas' whole "company" just him and those two other guys, set up with the help of some really pervasive/ intrusive/ hacking software?

Also, was the point of the intro that none of the short stories were true, even though he declared them as such, and some people would still believe them exactly because of their absurdity or unlikelihood presented as a fact/ anecdote?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Regy Rusty posted:

This is a ______ story.

Indeed. I like that they did this, and I do find it clever in that regard.

However, the first of the 3 stories seemed vague (as compared to the other two) and Vargas concludes with something along the lines of "the perception of reality becomes reality" which didn't really make sense to me as the point of the (Lehman) bank story --I should mention though that I am not familiar with the details of what actually happened with that bank -- or as something that connected the other two stories.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Why did Nikki not want to go to the hospital? I think she said that the police(?) are looking for her, but I can't remember really why....? Was it about a violation of her parole?

But in any case... she should definitely seek some kind of medical help. I don't know, from some private doctor or something. Does she expect to self-heal by keeping her wounds cool and sleeping it off?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The episode was fine. But yeah, thinking back at what we've seen so far this season, the overall arc seems all over the place, a few things seem to be repeated from previous seasons (mainly the cop who is not taken seriously but yet hangs on to their instinct), and up till the last moments of this episode the "rhythm" of the season seemed to die down.

I am not even sure if I'm rooting for someone. It used to be Ray and Nikki, but then they became pretty horrible and dumb (and now one is dead) so that changed. Obviously the show wants me to root for Gloria, but she feels underdeveloped and more of a plot device (necessity?) in comparison to Molly from S1 or the Solversons (Lou, Betsy and also Hank) from S2.

And I was way too excited to see mr. Wrench out of nowhere, probably the most excited I've been this season. Maybe next episode will be spent in catching up with what mr Wrench was up to until now. I don't think it will help the season arc overall, but it would make for a good episode I'd guess.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

EatinCake posted:

Maybe your issue is just that there haven't been as many scenes of her in the past three episodes or so doing things that weren't working the case.

Could be. Also the fact the she seems depressed (or really serious and humorless) all the time is not working for me. They have her partner up with the other more upbeat officer (who I realize is sort of a new version of the Gus character from S1, smarter but more 2-dimensional so far), and yet that still hasn't quite worked to make Gloria open up --it rather brought the other character down.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
As with most of the characters this season, I thought Moe was interesting when first introduced.
And his argument about them not using computers at the station made sense to me. Yes, it turned out that this season's premise has an (unrealistic) omnipotent hacker, but that's just another absurd trope that I'm not particularly fond of when I see it.

However, it turns out Moe has been there only to say no and be a blocker. It was somewhat justified up till this episode, since Gloria's theory could seem a bit stretched lacking proper evidence and investigation (which he was blocking though). But he seemed to go bonkers in this episode, and after the jail encounter he was pretty much accusing Gloria of straight up lying about what had happened, ignoring the fact that Nikki was somehow handcuffed on the cell and making up a theory that the syringe was hers (as well as attributing the camera glitch to coincidence). That's a new level of bullshit for that character that I don't think he can recover from.

It doesn't help that Moe (as well as most of the characters this season) are not shown to interact (in a significant way anyway) with any other people than the absolutely necessary for the plot. He pretty much interacts only with Gloria for this whole series up to now .

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think Wrench is the only character whose been in both seasons who would still be alive for the third. Although I guess the Lou Solverson might still be alive.

Molly too.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I would like to see Ray Wise's character return in the next episodes. Hopefully sooner than later.
And I'd like the Goldfarb widow story to go somewhere and have the actress more involved in the plot. Mary McDonnell is way underused so far.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

precision posted:

Gloria is Schrodinger's Cop. She both is, and isn't. That's why the doors don't open for her. IIRC this was stated outright in an interview.

That sounds like a misunderstanding about how Schrodinger's Cat theory works or what it is about.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Huh. I guess then at least their intention was to have her be in a dual state.

Although really 2 out of the 3 things they mention are her being in a transitional period of her life. She has decided that she is divorced (and she is in all but the typical/ (bureaucratic?) sense, just waiting for the papers). And she is chief of the old department that is merged into a new department and in a few weeks someone else will be chief. She is only in a dual state because, well the writer said so in that interview.

The 3rd thing about the cameras, is the "aliens" thing of this season. Or one of the things that were as absurd/ weird as the aliens last season. She is never shown to be detected by any auto-detection/ presence detection mechanism, so as far as that part of modern automation is concerned she doesn't exist (she is not sometimes detected and other times not). It's more like her "special ability" (which she feels strange about although apparently this has been going on for years).

Ray Wise's story about the soldier's wife was a lot more clear cut case of a Schrodinger's Cat metaphor, that I can appreciate.

Anyway, I realise that I'm putting too much thought in a show like Fargo that likes being weird and not worry about explaining its weirdness.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ChesterJT posted:

Has anything on the show actually claimed he was hacking and not simply searching for things on the internet?

Stussy's lawyer who tried to look him up, downloaded *something* by clicking on a link and then a malware took control of his webcam, took a picture of the lawyer and send it back to Vargas, and then fried his PC and apparently the rest of the PCs in that office's LAN.

So, not actively hacking, but he has access to and makes use of some really advanced and intrusive tools and malware.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, this episode was proper awesome

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Even though what we got for Yuri's fate (so far anyway, but I agree, he is dead) was great, I remember thinking at the time that random death by an arrow through the head shot by an amateur hunter who mistook him for an actual wolf would have been awesome and very acceptable to me anyway.

And funny.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I kind of think that 3 seasons of Fargo TV series is all we are getting, but I'd want to be surprised (or has is been renewed for a 4th already? )

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Jerusalem posted:

I love that after his big speech to Emmit about true wealth and having the discipline not to flaunt it to keep yourself safe, he's sitting there casually throwing out extra zeroes as incentive to Nikki and she hits him with,"I don't want money. I want to hurt you."
Yeah, that was a good moment. I didn't like how Nikki was focusing about "her money" in the dialogue earlier, but I'm glad that was her final response.

It was a good episode. Not nearly as good as the previous one. I did like what they did with Gloria's character in the episode; I was thinking earlier in the season that maybe they'll go for a romance between Gloria and the other female officer, but perhaps not.

Also I'm in favor of that it seems that indeed Vargas is his own boss and not the middleman he pretends to be.

Didn't like the re-treading of season's one "we got the (framed) killer, the case is closed".

And I'm surprised Mr Wrench let Meemo live.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Gorn Myson posted:

After catching up with this season I've gone back and re-watched season 1, and I've got to say that I love how the tone and style of this show turns mundane details into something really funny. That final scene in this episode where the IRS guy takes forever from getting into his office to finding the package on his chair had me giggling like an idiot, and it reminded me of the moment in season 1 where Bob Odenkirk is talking about his wifes cheese and mushroom omelette with one of the other officers.

Also, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is like the hottest woman ever in this show.
I agree with all of this. Down to Mary Elizabeth Winstead being the hottest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I thought it was fitting that Nikki died after getting her revenge on Vargas, and before killing Emmit.

She basically had "plot armor" typically until she delivered the message from Ray Wise, but essentially until she brought Vargas down -- I think.

That was pretty much why she was "allowed" to live further than the bowling alley. That's my theory anyway. She was never supposed to live after serving her purpose, and it was consistent with her character that she died doing something really stupid, while still maintaining her "street-smarts" attitude.

This season I think I enjoyed the second episode (or whichever the Hollywood episode was) and the Bowling Alley episode. Other than that it ended up being pretty lukewarm. I can appreciate that they went for something different, but they didn't quite manage it (there were still many callbacks and similarities to previous seasons), and it didn't work well for me.

• Locked thread