Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This was absolutely loving awesome, every last scene of it. Just wow.

Also, why does Ray have a gun and a shield? Is he a real police officer? I thought parole officers were more like social workers.

ArmZ posted:

he says "sitzen" which is german for sit down. all the songs are here: https://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-3/43239

Yeah, he clearly says "setzen" and talks German from the very beginning to the end. There is absolutely no ambiguity about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MarksMan posted:

Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

Vargas' Russian/Cossack henchman is named Yuri Gurka, according to imdb

e: I guess that scene could be interpret as being about truth and stories. The totalitarian Stasi officer has an a priori truth and is totally unconcerned with the stories/realities around it. Fargo is all about stories, but doesn't concern itself with any deeper truth or reality?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 27, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are all these gigantic, global crime syndicates in Minnesota based on something real or are they completely made up? It's so loving ridiculous that you have all these Anton Chigurs and various crime families fighting over some bland, sleepy small towns.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 30, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

Why did Nikki not want to go to the hospital? I think she said that the police(?) are looking for her, but I can't remember really why....? Was it about a violation of her parole?

She's probably skipping parole now. Doesn't look like she even bothered with stuff anymore, after Ray got fired.

Maybe the whole Maurice story is also catching up with her. She gave a fake name, but the landlord might still have e given them a description.

quote:

But in any case... she should definitely seek some kind of medical help. I don't know, from some private doctor or something. Does she expect to self-heal by keeping her wounds cool and sleeping it off?

If she has not internal bleeding and damaged organs, she'll be fine. That's what she's probably hoping for.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Loved how last time people complained about magical villains and this episode we were shown in detail how they pulled the bus attack off. Yuri only walked on the road to distract the driver, so that he wouldn't spot the ramp in time.

Born_to_Lose posted:

I assumed the "russian guy" they were referring to was this guy:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko

Or maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Yushchenko

Basically, don't drink any fluids in Russia/Ukraine if you are on some politician's shitlist

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not a Chekov's plot hole. Good jackets can easily last 4 years and more

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tumble posted:

I think it's less ambiguous than people are making it out to be. Varga is a total liar. And I mean that as a character trait, not just an opinion on the kind of person he is.

Varga even lies right in the beginning of this episode to get the gun away from Emmit. "Guns can even be equipped with fingerprint scanners. You can feel it, right on the grip." This is obviously a lie because if it did have a fingerprint scanner, they'd just take the gun away from him, not spray him in the eyes and hit him in the back of the head. And it's strongly hinted that Varga isn't actually part of a huge criminal conglomerate, he's the boss-man that uses criminality to maneuver around various fraudulent schemes. He's a corporate fraudster with gunmen to make sure people sign where they need to, not a moneyman for a huge criminal organization. This pointed out both by the IRS man in this episode, and by Nikki in the last episode.

And then 5 years later, Gloria Burgle finally gets her man. She's never been shown as anything other than competent and honest, while Varga has been shown as being willing to lie about just about anything. So while the end does come down to which ones reality manifests itself in the future, we have every reason to doubt Varga, while we have absolutely no reason to doubt Gloria.

(plus the wolf gets put behind bars at the end of 'Peter and the Wolf')

Yeah, it reminds me of Anton Chigurh's last scene in No Country for Old Men (the car crash one). It shows that Chigurh wasn't some inscrutable, superhuman manifestation of evil or something, he was just some deranged psychopath, just some dude. Once a random distracted driver runs a red light, Chigurh goes down just like anybody else.

In the same way, Varga isn't some evil inscrutable manifestation of uncontrolled economic exploitation and excess, he's just some dude. A great talker who bullshits and scams people, but if you don't let him intimidate you with his empty ramblings, you can arrest and lock him away. The last scene feels like it's trying to destroy this facade that large companies/capital can just engage in economic exploitation and that they/it are totally untouchable to normal people due to their size and structure.(Gloria "Fried Snickers bar" Burgle is the average American personified here)

It also kinda reminded me of Trump a little bit. Once you look past his facade, there is no great businessman there, just some lazy incompetent fool who scams and bullshits people and who inherited everything he has. The criminally rich and the rich criminals are not special or smart, they are just random dudes like everyone else. There are no mysterious Illuminati behind the curtain. Tax or lock up shitheels like Trump and Varga and everything will instantly be better. They can be defeated, if we really choose to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

frenton posted:

I interpreted that scene in No Country for Old Men basically the opposite. It reaffirmed Chigurh as an unstoppable force because he gets hit by a car and instead of going down he buys a T-shirt off a kid and hobbles away, alluding capture, as always.

Yeah, you can definitely read it both ways. I interpreted it that way because to me it demonstrated Chigurh's helplessness. The only reason he survived was just pure luck, a random coincidence in which he had no say. That car could have just as well been cancer or a lightning strike and he has no control over these things, no real control over his life. I mean, it would have different if he got in a difficult situation and solved it through sheer skill or willpower, but a car crash is just randomness.

I think the book where Chigurh has more characterization also supports it. In the book he has this whole stick where he suffers a psychotic breakdown and believes that he can do anything he sets his mind to, as long as he follows certain rules and principles. Before he kills Carla Jean he gets on this long smug monologue about how can never make exceptions to the rules, because that would endanger him and make him weak and then he would be just like the regular cattle that people are to him. He portraits himself as this master of the universe that stands above everyone else. Then, like literally one or two sentences later, that car crashes into him.

• Locked thread