Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anyone screencap the google return for Vargas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

I think it was a single link, as though his computer had a virus on it that'd prevent searches and, I guess, text them a shot of the user or something if the link were clicked

That seems like it might be the case, but it looked like there was a DOI beneath the link for Vargas, and I was curious to run it and see what it returns.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not really trying to solve any puzzles, my job has just trained me to see a DOI at a hundred paces, and it made me curious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
FWIW, I think that namespace is basically biomedical science funded by that Chinese ministry. Here's a legit citation using a similar construction,

Lu, F. M., and Yuan, Z. (2015). PET / SPECT molecular imaging in clinical neuroscience : recent advances in the investigation of CNS diseases. Quant. Imag. Med. Surg. 5, 433–447. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2223-4292.2015.03.16

The one in the show is missing the 2223 part of 2223-4292 in the resolvable DOI example above.

I would guess that the production team used DOIs because they have structure and look techy, and figured nobody would care enough to search, but if they did then they didn't want it to resolve to an actual article.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apart from the fact that it was a stylistic shot, and having him kill Varga would be stupid for any great number of reasons, I think he didn't run over Varga because he's slowly starting to be won over by the lifestyle. Look at how he perked up when Varga offered him a solution to the IRS man.

• Locked thread