Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Chadzok posted:

Looks like some old sci-fi novels, the model he carved was based on one of the covers. My first thought was that the dad used to be a sci-fi writer, or was unpublished or something. Since everything else is so similar to the other two seasons there's surely gonna be some sort of weird subplot like the jewish demon/ufo stuff.

Edit: The thing she picked up to use as a weapon looked a lot like a Hugo award, so yeah, he must have been a sci-fi author.

Makes sense, but why would she be astonished to see the books?

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's so rad to see such quality female roles in shows this good. When Gloria headed back out to the car I actually said out loud "get that shotgun you bad rear end" and then she did, completely fearless.

Loved that too. Not crazy about how the scene played out though. She sees the place is trashed, finds Ennis, hears someone upstairs... and she's still not going for her gun. Her son appears and she tells him loudly to get out of the house, possibly giving away their presence. After searching the house and not finding anyone, she looks around the empty living room and investigates a floorboard. Seems like there would be more urgency to make sure her son is okay and to go look for the suspect.

El Jeffe posted:

Ray and Nikki are actualized as gently caress.

Love them together, with Nikki driving the bus and always a few steps ahead of Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
It just felt Colin Hanks-ian to me, which seemed at odds with her character. Someone was literally upstairs... assuming she didn't hear a car start up, how far away could the suspect be?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Did anyone catch what Gloria said to her son when they turned back for the carving? It sounded something like "backwards B" which I'm guessing is slang for a u-turn but I didn't quite catch it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Aphrodite posted:

She says "Flip a B-word". Flip a bitch is slang for a U-turn.

Ha, thanks- I wasn't even close to hearing it right.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Paladinus posted:

Because he was a no-nonsense fundamentalist Christian by the looks of it. Writing or even reading stories about aliens and amazing worlds beyond our own doesn't gel well with that usually. But he obviously still had some interest in it, because the show he watched (season 2 of Fargo) was also about aliens.

Makes sense. It adds a couple layers of mystery. Just thought it was interesting that when your stepdad has just been murdered, a suspect who was upstairs minutes ago is on the loose, and your son is sitting alone in the car, the one thing that transfixes you are some sci-fi books (even given the incongruity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mr. Nemo posted:

That was her son's footsteps.

And that's what she instantly deduced?

• Locked thread