Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I didn't get a good look at the books. What was going on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Also, it's one episode in and I hope Nikki and Ray(?) get out of this okay

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That hit and run? Ooh, I hope Emitt's righthand man dies.

It'll be good for my chi.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Did anyone screencap the google return for Vargas?

I think it was a single link, as though his computer had a virus on it that'd prevent searches and, I guess, text them a shot of the user or something if the link were clicked

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

it looked like there was a DOI beneath the link for Vargas, and I was curious to run it and see what it returns.

You got me curious, too, so I screenshotted this --

-- which gives us --

http://dx.doi.org/10.3978

-- which corresponds to these guys --

quote:

Wanfang Data has been a task force of the Institute of Scientific & Technological Information of China (ISTIC), the Chinese Ministry of Science & Technology, since 1950s.
http://www.wanfangdata.com/about/about.asp

Unless there's a Chinese connection next episode, I think this is a dead end.

Edit: I glossed over https://dx.doi.org/10.3978/j.issn-684x.2010.04.02 because it didn't link to anything

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 28, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone else feel like Nikki might be taking Ray for a ride?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
She killed Ray's goon and Ray confronts her over how morose he is? It's little surprise she slapped him, but she covers with some poo poo about his Chi to redirect to goading him into doing something about his brother? She handles it like she slipped up and needed to stay on target.

Why?

Is Ray being used? Or is this some Pinky and the Brain poo poo where they're a legit team despite her being the brains?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ArmZ posted:

apparently he's good at bridge, or at least a good partner for her.

That's a good point. I'm basing my read of their situation based on how she's handling the hosed up poo poo. If he's in over his head and she's not but is smart enough to handle him, of course she's handling him.

Is it her, or the dictates of circumstance?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 29, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

timp posted:

It honestly felt less like his fault and more like a directorial blunder, like he wasn't really used correctly. Sometimes he would deliver a line in a way that made you feel like he was lovable but dumb, and sometimes he'd deliver a line that made you feel like he was a scumbag

That's just you. He was 100% douchebag to me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

"using her poontang to hoodwink and bamboozle" might be my favorite line of anything ever

I like to think they went through five or six version of that line, saying, "No no, it needs to sound dumber," every time

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The bulimia is a little much but I like the World's Nicest Cop helping with the murder investigation

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

The bulimia was a nice touch. Shows him as flawed or damaged rather than just a mysterious criminal mastermind.

Feels too on-the-nose, like a caricature. Like I'm supposed to think his ostentatious lines are word-vomit instead of just ostentatious. Instead of seeing a mixture of overcompensation for class-anxiety, an overwrought narcissistic affectation and a subtly menacing silver-tongued-as-a-skill character, he feels a bit caricatured now.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Control-freak wannabe aristocrat works much better for me, thanks thread

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The sound.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The sound editing was great effective. It was nauseatingly evocative of someone getting the Oberyn treatment. I'm glad Ray got back in time to (probably) keep her from dying of internal bleeding.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

what did he do in that cup?

Finessed his balls in, I think.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Real Talk: Given the pitch about, "On paper, you'll be billionaires," I probably would've been all in.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
:smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

ave to admit I'm becoming a little disappointed with this season overall. Ep 1 was stellar, probably the best of the season openers but I just don't find the story all that compelling. The characters are solid, the writing is very good, I don't know, the whole plot just kinda feels uninspired.

I feel like it's turning into a morality play about 'corruption wins.' It feels very appropriate to Trump's America right now. Or Russia.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The new chief reminds me of coworkers I've had. They've run into the, "never go full retard," problem where it's just too real.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

this new guy who just acts like an dumbass for no apparent reason.

He compensates for stupidity with aggression.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I got a kick out of seeing Varga in Wonder Woman. He plays a British aristocrat!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

Somebody smart explain the scene at the bowling alley to me.

Divine intervention by a literal Jewish Wizard.

Loved it

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ray needs to hit up a spa. I used to think of spas as 'girls day out' fare but having been to one? My god. If you don't like spas, you don't like relaxing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Er, Emmit.

Although, if Ray had learned to properly relax then he might not have had prideful grudges enough to've gotten to conspiring.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

So whats this season like? I'm about to start watching purely because I just realised that Carrie Coon is in it.

It's good, and she gets a lot of screen time. In light of the past episode, I'd say it clears the same bar as S1 and S2. A little slower to start, though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Literal Jewish Wizard Out Of Nowhere feels like the world's greatest celebrity cameo and show crossover from Twin Peaks, which I'm watching for the first time along with the new season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Let me tell you something, Fargo hasn't even begun to peak. And when it does peak, you'll know. Because it's gonna peak so hard that everybody in America's gonna feel it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Did they reveal that Ray had traded the stamps for that lovely car before last episode?

A depressing reveal.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ray was always going to be a fuckup whether he had the stamps or the car.

He wanted simplicity that life couldn't provide. :smith:

Rest in piece, Ray Stussy. Too good, too pure for this world.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I feel like Varga was the protagonist, and we saw the show from the perspectives of secondary characters with Coon being a good guy antagonist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

And the last scene, yeah, just reminded me that I probably should've watched Lord of War instead.

It's basically Lord of War without the main character's arc, just the secondary characters and antagonist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

What the actual gently caress? No wonder America is so overweight if that's what you call a loving salad

It's a weird hold over from the 1960s when cookbooks went insane.

To wit:

liver pâté en masque:

It's chilled liver-green bean purée with pepper-gelatin glaze.

These recipes are like something out of a Markov generator written by a gelatin-salesmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Another reason to never take a time-machine past 1980.

I mean, just look at this:

Like, you can. Reminds me of that line about, "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a gelatin."

Edit: I really like the bone-in chicken.

• Locked thread