Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was actually hoping they'd subvert the weird and messed up deaths of Fargo by having the air conditioner miss, and then maybe they drop something else to get him or have to deal with him some other way. I do hope they do that in one of the seasons at least. Maybe you're expecting the more "normal" people to kill the guy and not the criminal or killer, but they mess it up and the killer kills them and then that's the crux of the investigation. I dunno, something along those lines?

Anyway, had no clue this was coming up so this was a nice surprise, looking forward to the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Flip a bitch is definitely something that is said in the midwest, I grew up in Michigan and it was commonplace when I hit driving age.

Weird, I've been in Michigan all my life and never heard it. I definitely know about Michigan lefts, which are what amount to big fancy u-turns to get across the big dividers that separate some semi-highways that are like 3-4 lanes in each direction but still have stores on the right side and traffic lights, but never heard that saying.

TraderStav posted:

U.P.? I grew up in metro Detroit and never heard that before. Living closer to mid Michigan now and still never heard it.

Yeah I'm Southeast Michigan myself, maybe it's a midwest saying in general but in Michigan it's more northern/U.P.?

Oh and separate thing, we had Martin Freeman as the foreigner doing a midwest American accent in S1 and now McGregor doing that across two roles in S3, was there a prominent foreigner doing that in S2? I'm just wondering if that's happened with a major character in each season of the show, because it'd be fun if it was.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

British actors doing major roles as Americans in American TV is a pretty common thing. Off the top of my head I can think of The Wire with both McNulty and Stringer, The Walking Dead, Deadwood and Sons of Anarchy.

Yeah it's by no means uncommon, I was just curious that maybe Hawley or the casting on his shows was doing it intentionally. The lead on Legion is a Brit as well, and it has Jermaine Clement from New Zealand too.

I guess all we've really found out by analyzing flip a bitch is that while there are regional sayings, it's not like everyone in a region uses them or is even necessarily familiar with them. Also how many Goons are from Michigan.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I just wanna say that VM is my favourite character of anything I've watched in a long time. I'm pretty much grinning from ear to ear every time he's on screen. From ep 1 but "Where is it you're from again?" "America." was amazing

I loved his delivery during the 'it's three things" line from this episode, that whole speech was good but that in particular was real fun to watch for me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

sout posted:

Took me a while to remember Ray Wise's name though I recognised him, not used to seeing him without his white hair.
Also I guess that thing about the divorced/married soldier's wife is supposed to be a Schrödinger's Cat analogy, though I'm not quite sure what the significance of all the quantum stuff is.

My guess at the shrodinger/quantum tie in is the stamp deal that led to the divergence of the Stussy brothers. In one state they get all the stamps and become the Parking Lot King, the other state they're stuck getting peed on by cons. Them being in the same quantum state could refer to them both increasingly getting involved in crime despite being in two different "states," i.e. having the stamps/not having the stamps is like the cat being both alive and dead until the box is opened.

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's the best connection to that idea I can come up with in the story so far.

Edit: Also tie-in how the audience all act as observers somehow, they only exist because we view them etc.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 4, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

They must have left Nikki alive for a reason, I just can't really picture what that reason is right now. Trying to keep her around as a factor to turn Si against Emmitt?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I feel like we could see Ray die and Emmit take his place to get away from Varga and Co., and he and Nikki end up together because Nikki ultimately cares about money way more than she cares about Ray. We've seen too much of Ray pretending to be Emmit for me to not expect one brother to die and the other to take over the identity.

Accretionist posted:

Real Talk: Given the pitch about, "On paper, you'll be billionaires," I probably would've been all in.

Given the level of intimidation employed and the upside of getting more money for being involved (even if they don't cut them in on profits from money laundering they're up $1 million from not paying back the loan) I'd probably just go with it and try not to rock the boat. Certainly after they've killed the lawyer I'd be fully cowed.

Going to the cops is real risky given the competency we've seen Varga employ, with bugs and hacking skills and whatnot, and it's not like you'll get put into witness protection just for testifying against them so you can count on you, and probably your family, being at severe risk.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It also serves to show how committed she is to living the criminal lifestyle, not going back to prison, getting Emmitt's money, or some combination of all of those factors. To be beaten that bad and still not go to the hospital, I mean geez.

She's totally going to sell it as Sy and Emmitt's goons beating the tar out of her and that's going to send the brother rivalry into the true endgame where one of them has to end up dead. I'm just curious how honest she is about where she was and what she was trying to do, whether she says she was trying to get $100k or $200k, that the sex tape was found by the wife, etc.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Just caught episode 9, I think it'll be my favorite episode of the season unless the finale really gets wild. It had that nice combo of wild fargo stuff with the hunters showing up and shooting the wolf head plus Nikki messing with Emmitt, the WTF Fargo stuff with an outright agent of god stepping in at the bowling alley, and the super violent fargo stuff with the fight at the tree stump. Plus I didn't see the end coming at all so that was super cool.

vermin posted:

Stussy: I've been a victim in all this
Burgle: If you hadn't turned yourself in, they'd probably kill ya. I wonder how Far they'd Go.

:tviv:

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, it's the weakest season of Fargo but still better than your average show for me. This time they were way less subtle with the themes of the season and were willing to take more risks, at least from my perspective. It's just so drat hard to top those first two seasons, I'll be surprised if Fargo ever manages to, and since S1 of Fargo is like my platonic ideal of an insanely good show with a ridiculously good cast and plot, managing to just about equal it even one more time is quite an accomplishment.

• Locked thread