Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I didn't get a good look at the books. What was going on there?

Looks like some old sci-fi novels, the model he carved was based on one of the covers. My first thought was that the dad used to be a sci-fi writer, or was unpublished or something. Since everything else is so similar to the other two seasons there's surely gonna be some sort of weird subplot like the jewish demon/ufo stuff.

Edit: The thing she picked up to use as a weapon looked a lot like a Hugo award, so yeah, he must have been a sci-fi author.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

The lady cop sure has a lot of problems with technology. door doesn't see her, phone doesn't work ..... is she touched by the aliens? Deus ex machina?

Will she have a win or loss because of this technology thing later...

it's the actress, not the character. she was having similar problems over in the Leftovers this week as well.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I know everything Fargo has that element of "stop now before it gets worse", but I just can't shake the thought this whole season that Emmet and Si should have just gone full cops and lawyers after that first meeting with Varga. They had a contract etc. and didn't do anything wrong. anyway, good show.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Although I agree and am content with the ambiguity of the ending (in fact I loved it); one point I noticed was that shutting down debate as 'pointless' is like the only time that Varga didn't choose instead to blather on about some random facts that barely related to anything. Very uncharacteristic and my feeling was that was that he was worried. Gloria does also seem uncertain though, trying to convince herself that she's right.

The two scenes bookending this season made up for any shortcomings of this season. First, a man is told he is lying about his identity and is accused of crimes and as an audience we are convinced he is innocent. Then, we are told a story. Then, a similar scene is shown in which another man he is told he is lying about his identity and is accused of crime and as an audience we are convinced that he is guilty. The story of Varga himself proves his philosophy that stories become reality all the time. In a way I think this whole season is a meditation on why Fargo (the movie) started off proclaiming "this is a true story".

One potential interpretation of the opening scene is that this dolt was set up to take the fall for Yuri's handiwork in the same way that Jimmy In-And-Out took the fall for Emmit & Ray later in the season - if Varga got Yuri out of a murder of passion it would explain his loyalty to him. Not sure if the ages really fit but whatever.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 24, 2017

• Locked thread