Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Nothing makes sense on this show until at least episode 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Well, I haven't seen any characters from prior seasons yet.

Maybe the first two seasons existed as a TV show for this season. It's like layers upon layers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching season two and the butcher is being interrogated in the sheriff's office and talking about Sisyphus pushing boulders up hills.

Is that mentioned in season 1 as well? Seems to be a common theme that doesn't actually mean anything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure they said 3rd place at first too, when they were on the sidewalk.

Then started saying 3rd runner up instead.

That certificate was framed too perfectly in that shot. Are Nikki and Ray's names on there? Since Ray shares the last name as the highest ranking local police officer in town's just murdered father, it might catch someone's eye.

And isn't 3rd place the same as 3rd runner up? They said 3rd place goes on to regionals so I guess we will know for certain if there's another tournament.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The show writer is just trying to make 'flip a B' happen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When you have to change the names to protect the innocent, it's not going to be a love story.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So all her teletexts were going nowhere then? Since she wasn't ever getting a response?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Idk. Grey and beige seem to be the dominant colors of almost every shot this year. Scenes between Emmitt and his lawyer take this so far they're practically in black & white.

It's pretty similar to the usual "Fargo" pallet. Season 2 was an outlier because the 70's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So why was Ennis so old? He looked to be in his 20's or maybe his 30's and 35 years later he looks like Death's head.

Is Minnesota like Tatooine when it comes to aging? Hey, an Obi Wan tie in! Wrong actor, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If he hadn't got him into a coke rage he probably would've gotten away with it.

That must have been some beating if it left him in a nursing home for 35 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

The bulimia is a little much but I like the World's Nicest Cop helping with the murder investigation

I don't think the World's Nicest Cop is long for this Earth.

The bulimia was a nice touch. Shows him as flawed or damaged rather than just a mysterious criminal mastermind.

I wonder if the wife figured V.M. was British from his accent or his teeth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

I'm wondering if they are going to tie all the seasons together somehow (other than just all the seasons tying directly into the movie)

Like, aliens man. Is the main cop lady in this season an alien?

Do any of the seasons tie into the movie other than season 1 and the ice scraper?

This season will tie into prior seasons at some point. My guess is the deaf hitman, who lived in season 1 and appeared at the end of season 2, will show up in season 3.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga. To connect the theme of quantum superposition and "we're going to hollow out your company and steer you around like a loving car", the dude we see might just be a human possessed by an alien intelligence alien bountyhunter shapeshifter android replicant middleman representing the "real" Varga. A sort of Chinese Room for Crime. I feel like one of the Stussy Boys is going to end up being the "new Varga", and the other might have to fill in for the other forever.

Edit: My grandma, what big eyes you have.

I probably just misread it, but I could have sworn Varga spoke of himself as a representative of the lender in his first face-to-face meeting with Emmit. And now he appears to be the head guy, which doesn't really make sense if you're in charge of an international crime syndicate to be on the ground taking the risks.

Also, this season feels like a miss. Although I have to remind myself I only started enjoying season 2 until the 4th episode. Once connections start being made things should pick up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to find some grand unifying theory for Fargo and I haven't found it yet. I thought maybe the death counts matched up episode by episode each season and it's not a match, but it's close. Over 4 episodes they track pretty well (3 in S1E1, 4 in S2E1, 2 in S3E1). Subsequent episodes are usually 1 or 0 deaths. Episode 5 is an outlier with all the Kansas City people who die.

Maybe the seasons can be broken down into distinct acts like in a play. Everything is so very deliberate.

And Nikki is totally going to kill at least one of the goons. The fact she didn't die in the last episode means she'll be in this until the end. Sy...I don't think he makes it past next week. I do like how they are still continuing the miscommunication theme. No one can get anyone's story straight.

Aardark posted:

When you're a oval office of that magnitude, it's not prudent to put yourself in situations where people can easily drive over you on an impulse decision. Someone will snap sooner or later.

He doesn't fear Emmit. He did fear that IRS guy though. And as a former banker I do love the fact everything is coming to a head because someone withdrew $10k.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well he's British so I think that's what they call Spotted Dick.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The coffee mug scene was really weird, because we are supposed to believe he pissed in the mug and Sy drank it, but who pisses into a mug by rubbing it in their crotch like that? The piss would have gotten all over his pants, and his dick would have been bathed in his own piss as it sloshed out onto his pants, what the gently caress

He didn't piss in it. Unless you had a raging urinary track infection where the pee just dribbles out it'd be impossible to pee in a cup like that without making a mess. He just put his junk in the cup and then they filled it with water and Sy had to drink it. I've only got a 720p TV, but maybe someone with 1080 can rewind that scene and see if there were any random pubes floating in the cup.

So yeah, just junk in the cup. Like Accretionist said, he managed to get his balls in there as well.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh, all it takes is someone he has no leverage over. Someone he can't research and blackmail with family members.

... someone who isn't on Facebook.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If the two thugs die and Vargas has to call for backup what are the chances Wrench the hitman shows up?

We could see some more miscommunication between multilingual Vargas and a deaf guy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They didn't know who she was or if she even had anything to do with their con. They beat her as a message to Sy.

Again, miscommunications. Now they've involved Ray and Nikki and Sy was already pretty much making GBS threads his pants without the beating.

Also, given his speech, I get the impression the Russian is more introspective and maybe a little tired of all the killing. Better to just beat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to agree. This season is not up to S1 or S2.

That's not to say it's bad. There are very few shows that require or receive 100% of my attention or stand up to repeated viewers. It's good, but it's no Sioux Falls.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm halfway through Legion. I recorded it on the TiVo and just haven't gotten around to finishing.

It's alright. Seems very similar to season 3 of Fargo in it's pacing. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Maybe it'll pick up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The omnipotent bad guys are a problem, but I think it reaches back to season 1 and the idea that you can do almost everything if you just ignore the rules. At the same time people who follow the rules look the other way if they're alone and things get too weird.

But the fake cop escaping out the door was pretty bad. I'd say the video cameras going dark was bad too, but it is Vargas after all. Also, Vargas got Nikki arrested, but now he's trying to get her out. She saw something in the crime scene photo. Perhaps Vargas had access to the same pictures (scanned, emailed?) and now knows he missed something that she might point out? There's something under the aquarium stand, but I can't tell what.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The new chief appears to be getting on board though. Which means he'll soon die.

So is Gloria vice-chief?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think Wrench is the only character whose been in both seasons who would still be alive for the third. Although I guess the Lou Solverson might still be alive.

What if the fake cop isn't actually with Vargas?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The fake cop might not be Vargas' guy. If he wanted Nikki dead there are far easier ways to do it (at the motel). I think we're about to get a 3rd plotline. Maybe Nikki is involved in some other poo poo. It seems too...odd, that Vargas would have a 3rd henchman no one has seen until now who is played by an actual name actor viewers recognize. Why not just use the Asian guy again unless the fake cop is meant to be expanded upon. Heck, Gloria didn't even see his face so it's not like Asian guy would have blown Vargas' cover.

jfood posted:

The real mystery is, did Varga hack the cameras or did Gloria being in the vicinity gently caress them up?

This. 100% this. The faulty CCTV is trying to throw off viewers and make them think Vargas hacked the police station, but in reality, the fake cop has nothing to do with Vargas and they're setting up a surprise twist.

Although this doesn't explain why Yuri attacked the prison bus. So I'm probably wrong.

precision posted:

We don't know that he was innocent. I thought the slow pan down to show that he had melting snow on his shoes was meant to establish that, in fact, he had killed that girl.

I thought so too, but someone else mentioned those were his house slippers. Emmitt is shown at one point in his house slippers so house slippers appear to be a theme.

He was dragged from his house so abruptly he didn't have time to put on proper shoes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

I rewatched last night. Outside the cell area door, is the desk with about 2' of space between it and the wall for a person to get through (where Gloria asks first to be let in to speak to Nikki). At that desk is a cop facing anyone attempting to get in. Have to assume it was a fake cop attempting to kill Nikki. A known cop would have been recognized by the door guard, and the door guard could have easily said "oh yeah, that was so-and-so". Not only did fake cop get past that guard, but then Gloria as well right after. Only when the shot rang out (that ninja sweeping leg disarming Gloria was even more ridiculous on the rewatch) did anyone seem to notice that people were in the cell room. Not a single person saw Qualls go in or run out... This after they made a huge point of both the paperwork thing as well as there being barely enough room to move in the various parts of the building.

Regarding the woman trying to buy the company, at this point I believe she is partners in Varga's scheme. Likely it was her fake cop and likely that it was Varga that she was on the phone with in the restaurant after Stussi was told about Ray and when the cop approached her to ask questions. Trying to manipulate Stussy into selling for dirt cheap?

It appeared the new chief was one of the cops that broke into Nikki's room and pulled her out of the window, and also when first interrogating Nikki, nearly verbatim repeated the fake abuse theory Varga came up with. Would explain how Varga knew so quickly that she was going to the Fed prison under "protective custody" and the route/time the bus would be on. If this is the case it makes his character even more eye-rollingly bad.

The reason Varga needs Enis' report? I havent the foggiest.

That part is either the laziest bit of writing or it's going to be the most awesome explanation ever. EVERYTHING in this series is plotted out. I don't know if I've ever seen a continuity error. It's not like the filmmakers were pressed for time in a 42 minute story format. Fargo routinely goes over if they need more time. They could have easily taken an extra 20 seconds for the two chiefs to arrive, but instead, they were in there almost immediately and that's got to mean something.

I've been mostly underwhelmed by this season, but there's still an outside chance it's going to be awesome as long as all these mistakes aren't really mistakes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
While the villains this season are borderline too strong/powerful, it just occurred to me Malvo killed a whole crime family off-screen and no one seemed fazed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Varga can't even keep his teeth half presentable. All we've ever seen him do in his rolling data center is sleep on the floor.

When he first presented himself, I could have sworn he spoke as if he represented other people (maybe Ray Wise). I think we're going to find he's just a middleman.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, but you don't need to search for it explicitly. That's not how google works or ever worked.

Google also returns results on everything. Like Gloria's name when he searched it without quotations.

Movies and TV never get search results right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Sure he has a twin, he's named Varga. Varga is just the one we've been seeing all this time on the show and Vargas is away on business :v:

They're both named Varga.

When they're together they're Vargas.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 7, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Now that Fargo went magic there's no telling what's going to happen. I'm starting to think Sy is going to wake up and find out everyone else is dead.

Did I miss an explanation on why no one has a gun? That certainly would have made things easier for the bad guys.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought that was a pretty good tactic. They can't reload those crossbows fast enough, but they have two people chained together who can't move fast and a whole lot of arrows. After a couple of passes they'd be easy to subdue. We're still not sure if Varga wants Nikki dead or alive.

Unfortunately the fake cop didn't realize this wasn't Wrench's first rodeo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Yuri/Helga thing seemed awkward. Yuri hesitantly looks over to where Ray Wise is gesturing and instead of something really cool it's a bunch of Eastern Europeans in b&w. I know what they represent, but the way it came out made me think there was another scene that didn't fit time or budgetary constraints so they went with a bunch of extras in period clothing and a b&w filter.

And I'm still pissed there's no explanation about the fake cop running out the door. This show doesn't have continuity errors. Watched the scene again and it still doesn't make any sense. It'll make more sense if he reappears because he's a magical Gollum.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's a sad commentary when the most exciting part of season 3 is the introduction of a minor character from the second-best season of the series who didn't even have any lines.

Still a good show, just not as good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hope the next episode is in 2020 so we can see if Trump made Fargo great again.

MFGA.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Malvo gets a pass because he was just so drat cool.

Disappears from basement - check

Learns dentistry and gets engaged all to perform a hit - check

Singlehandedly kills entire crime syndicate - check

3 guys weld some metal together as part of a predetermined backup plan - what, what?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
From what I could pull up, Fargo is the 5th most popular FX original and has about 20% more viewers than The Americans, which was renewed. Since the actors change every season it's probably cheaper to produce than most shows going into a 4th season.

But Noah Hawley said over the weekend this might be the last Fargo season.

Best case scenario I think we'll be looking at 2019 before we see anymore Fargo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

All of the Vargas milling about the hotel lobby.

Perhaps a hivemind situation?

Varga does improv in his free time.

If Nikki had hung out there longer she would have seen a funny flash mob of whirling trench coats lip singing to the Sound of Music.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Police Chief Dammik obstructing Gloria's investigation is getting ridiculous. It was the weakest part of the season going into this episode, and I had hoped they moved past it. Having him bust the patsy and stop her interview with Stussey and order him to be released was irritating. That might be ok once a season, but he already did that with Emmit.

Season one was excellent but I had similar complaints about sheriff Bob Odenkirk stopping the investigation multiple times for no good reason. And at least he got the late season explanation that he was a super nice guy adopting orphans and was over his head as a cop. Maybe Dammik will get a similar character development?

Other than that, good episode. The Nikki/Mr. Wrench team is a lot of fun to watch, and I liked her negotiation with Vargus, and how she made some mistakes (not spotting the trenchcoat men) but was able to come out ahead. I was so glad she didn't touch the tea or briefcase. Is Mr. Wrench the only character to be in all three seasons?

Yeah. Wrench is the glue that binds Fargo. No idea why.

I think Varga has at least one more gotcha. Nikki is getting too confident and it's going to get really bad before it gets good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

So four years have passed but he didn't bother to buy a new jacket? Doesn't really make sense.

Fixed it for you.

Those tassels. That fringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Not a Chekov's plot hole. Good jackets can easily last 4 years and more

Oh sure it can last that long. But should it?

I get it, though. That first glimpse of fringe sure got my attention at the end of episode 7.

• Locked thread