Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'd imagine that part of the country is attractive to syndicates for the small town police level and perhaps the proximity to long stretches of unmonitored borders with Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Varga definitely has a high level of intimidation to him. I was trying to pinpoint what it is that he's doing. I think it's the fact that he has 100% confidence, and not that he really believes in himself, just that he gives absolutely zero shits about any objection. Mix in his initial appearance of a disheveled business man and you find yourself with a pretty intimidating character. I don't think he would have the same screen presence if he was clean cut in a $1000 suit.

Which begs the question, who's the most intimidating Fargo character so far?:

Lorne Malvo
Mike Milligan
Hanzee
Bear Geirhardt
Varga
Russian bodyguard guy
Asian bodyguard guy

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Professor Lupin is all well and good but I will forever remember Thewlis as Knox Hamilton in the Big Lebowski.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I know it's been mentioned but while I don't like the omnipotent evil-doers trope I think the "supervisor doesn't buy into legit police work" trope even more. I was hoping for something like another poster said where the St. Cloud chief would acknowledge the new chief was being a dick and ignoring obvious connections.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

One thing that has bothered me about Varga is when they show him "hacking" he's basically just typing their name into google and/or facebook.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty sure that's the point both about the dangers of social media, where everyone has an account connected to more info than they know, and about Varga's "crazy hacking skills." He loves to make people think he's got super hackers but as soon as he doesn't find Gloria on Facebook he's stumped and has to send out Yuri for physical information retrieval. Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google. He's recognizing the potential of social media for his own line of work and he works well with what's there, but doesn't actually go far beyond the surface.

Although that doesn't really seem to mesh well with shutting off the surveillance camera in a police station remotely so who knows.

That's a good point but earlier a precedent was set when just googling Vargas caused the attorneys computer to snap a picture and die. That requires at least some skill. Or he just contracts that out in which case why have him do the legwork later on.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

New theory: Vargas has a twin which is part of his whole hiding in plain sight thing. One twin is very skilled with computers. Also this is what initially got him interested in Stussy. I base this on hardly anything so par for the TVIV course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

As it happens, IMDb lists David Thewlis playing both Vargas and Varga. http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000667/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

• Locked thread