Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Reality is flexible in the context of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Animation bits were cool, but I guess I'm the only on who was terribly bored by the entire opening and most of the ep? Sleazy Jewish producer in the 70's uses drugs and a hot chick to scam a naive creative person. Okay? It's just like the most obvious and straight forward cliche story possible with the setups that are there. And while it is fun to see Mac in other stuff, I found it very jarring that he's LITERALLY Ronald MacDonald from Always Sunny as a LA cop. I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

This has to be my least favorite episode out of the entire Fargo series so far and the only one I really felt skipping through was warranted because nothing was happening that hasn't already been seen a million times, except for the animation bits and little things here and there. Man alive.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

precision posted:

You remember wrong then because that is totally what he was.

He was basically just Brad Pitt's character from Burn After Reading. You know the actor does not equal the character, right? I'm saying Mac was playing Mac from Always Sunny, not 'this is the same guy so my brain makes the same connection' that your brain is seeming to.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I was more referring to how the character is written as well as how it was played. Of course Howerton has some Dennisims because he's not a 'professional actor' because like all the success is coming off one show and character. In the first season his character, again, pretty much just came off as Mr. Pitt from BAR, a kind of dopey personal trainer who tries to dabble in shady stuff and get smoked.

Macop is written as Ronny MickeyD's and played exactly the same. If someone else was playing that character I would still be getting Mac vibes just because of how it's written and (I assume) directed. Which is why it came off as really jarring, if amusing as a cameo, where Glenn in S1 felt more like someone recognizable playing a character with a role in the story and not a cameo, even if he's a little one-note.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This last episode had me ENTHRALLED. From start to finish. It's really hard to describe how everything clicked and fell into place in a way none of the other S3 episodes did. It managed to pluck a string and get a tone, and it's one of those that vibrates not quite like anything else has before. At least to me. I was rapt. The way sound was done at the start and the Danny Elfman score during the Emmet Goes to the Office scene. Bra-loving-vo.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

WhiteHowler posted:

So did Yuria make it out of the bowling alley/afterlife/whatever, or is he still out looking for Nikki and Mr. Wrench three months later?

Much like someone missing Emmett palming those drugs, Yury is also dead. When the cops are loving with him at the hospital, they bring up poison, and say 'Just like that Russian guy' when referring to Sy. The vodka was poisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Ah yeah I never watch the previews, so I'm just going off the text of the show and that's how it read to me. Poison was some strong poo poo, put him at death's edge quick enough for that tundra shot.

And that other guy would be a pretty deep pull unless they previously referenced him and I missed it?

• Locked thread