Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Moon Slayer posted:

Of course, keep in mind that the show is actually filmed in Alberta, but it still is a pretty accurate depiction of western Minnesota in winter time.

I forgot about that until I spotted a Royal Bank of Canada branch in the background in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lifts cats over head posted:

I'd imagine that part of the country is attractive to syndicates for the small town police level and perhaps the proximity to long stretches of unmonitored borders with Canada.

I'd like to see a season dealing with the Northwest Angle. It's one of only a few exclaves in the US, and I've read there are border smuggling issues when Lake of the Woods freezes over.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why do people always call character development episodes "filler"? Character development is important, y'all.

I hope Ray Wise isn't just a cameo. I'd like to see him show up later. He strikes me as the kind of character who might have something to do with VM Varga.

tweet my meat posted:

So I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but what the hell was the deal with the ufo's?
A reference/homage to the Val Johnson Incident. Apparently that region of the US was a hotbed of UFO sightings in the 70s.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can see people's issues with cliches, but something that's always been the basis of this show (and Coen films, and Hawley's other stuff) is taking broad tropes and retelling them in new configurations (like with biblical elements, UFOs, or maybe quantum physics in this one). There's always going to be that cliche element in pulp crime drama. That's the genre.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

8 Ball posted:

If Ennis died when he was 82 why does he look to be in his twenties 35 years ago

As far as they know he was 82.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

Varga Vikernes

Also David Thewlis is most famous for playing a werewolf

If he ends up burning down a church, then it'll be on the nose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked this episode and I like this season. Take that, internet. :smug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Krispy Kareem posted:

The fake cop might not be Vargas' guy. If he wanted Nikki dead there are far easier ways to do it (at the motel). I think we're about to get a 3rd plotline. Maybe Nikki is involved in some other poo poo. It seems too...odd, that Vargas would have a 3rd henchman no one has seen until now who is played by an actual name actor viewers recognize. Why not just use the Asian guy again unless the fake cop is meant to be expanded upon. Heck, Gloria didn't even see his face so it's not like Asian guy would have blown Vargas' cover.
Gloria didn't, no, but Nikki DID see Meemo's face, meaning she wouldn't have cooperated to put the cuffs on in the cell, and he wouldn't have been able to leave if she caused a scene. The fake cop had to do it silently, and the second she saw Meemo in there his cover would've been blown. Therefore, use a henchman unknown to her, cuff her to the bars, and kill her silently with the syringe. But yeah, the fake cop being DJ Qualls most likely means he'll be expanded upon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google.

Webpage was still part of common internet lexicon in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the ending, and I liked the episode except for Nikki being taken out by some random cop (though randomness is always how the show works). When Emmit's car stalled and they showed the wide shot at the side of the road with the wire fence in the background, I thought the money Stavros re-buried was going to come back into play. I wonder if they'll ever go back to that.

I hope Mr. Wrench will be in season 4 somewhere, even briefly. I like him being the sole throughline.

• Locked thread