Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
god I love that poster. hope I can buy a large one somewhere to go with my print of the s2 quilt poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, is Hawley okay? That was a loving MEAN season of television. Like, really nasty.

Killer final scene, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The writeups of the finale/season on AV Club and Vox really help bring this season into focus for me:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/finale-fargos-third-season-sure-does-signify-somet-257158

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/22/15833772/fargo-finale-recap-season-3-review-somebody-to-love

In the end, I absolutely admire and even love this season in an intellectual sense, but I personally did not enjoy the actual act of watching it. I hated every second that Varga was on screen, making people drink piss and whatnot, and still think Emmit especially needed more depth. Too many characters felt too much like vague archetypes meant to represent Hawley wanted than actual human people. And seriously, poor Sy! His entire storyline was just fuckin cruel!

I can see this season growing on me with time, but right now it's at about a B/B- level (where s1 is A- and s2 is A). The best moments, though - episode 3, the bowling alley, that final scene - were up there with the best of the previous two seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's some (deliberate) time fuckery with Yuri in that Varga's henchman with the same name is seemingly too young to be the same character, as well as the Helga stuff in the bowling alley which appears to be from wayyy in the past (could be wrong on this last point)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Emmit isn't perfect but he still didn't deserve the ending he got, or to be hosed over so badly by Varga.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wrench must be a huge idiot if it took him five years to track down Emmit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

That was loving brilliant from start to finish. Wish the front half season had been even close to how great that ending was, especially the final scene. Okay then.

I wish this too and also that this season as a whole was as entertaining to watch as it is to discuss afterwards. It's weird but I'm getting far more satisfaction from this thread and reading articles about themes etc than I did from the vast majority of this series.

I wonder if it'd be a better season to binge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah god drat that's a real good catch/post.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't liked any of the seasons so far, why are you watching this show? That's over a full day of TV-watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was definitely under the impression Maurice killed Ennis. What made you think otherwise?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just realised Sy didn't actually have to drink piss and that Varga just rubbed his dick/balls inside the mug. Still by far my least favourite/the most unnecessary moment in the season, but at least it's not QUITE as horrendous as I had thought.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Varga being a lone operator would somewhat ruin the season (and series as a whole) theme of the corporatisation of America/the wider world and how that grinds down individuals

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....ok I'm all ears

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Without spoiling, sorta.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love 303 but I know a few people who were down on it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I read he was just a producer on this one, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I gotta rewatch this season.

• Locked thread