Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Recently just did a rewatch of Fargo S1, finally got around to seeing S2 for the first time, and now I'm all caught up on S3 so far.

Even with the improbable/:rolleyes: things that happen in this show from time to time, I still think it's hands down some of the best TV ever made. Plus, I've also been watching Twin Peaks for the first time ever (I never got around to watching it when it first aired), and as a result I'm probably a little more open to accepting some of the credibility-straining moments that occur throughout Fargo's three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Just watched the most recent episode and it was truly great. That little kitten named Ray :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

AbstractNapper posted:

I agree with all of this. Down to Mary Elizabeth Winstead being the hottest.

Chief Deputy Burgle is a very pretty lady indeed, but Nikki Swango has stolen my heart. :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fog Tripper posted:

I'd spoon with Burgle, but shower or hot tub with Swango.

I'd definitely take a vacation to L.A. with Gloria Burgle. Even if I had to fight off Officer Mac at the nightclub.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

precision posted:

I feel like Ray's life was probably more fun than Emmitt's by an order of magnitude

Swango and Bridge > Sy and dinner parties

No doubt about it, I'd gladly put up with the occasional splash of parolee piss on my boots if I got to go home to Nikki Swango. :allears:

I don't remember if it was ever mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I read an interview with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and she said one of the first questions she asked Noah Hawley about the role of Nikki was "does she love Ray, or is she just using him", because she felt that was an important component of how she would play the part. And how she expected to get some cryptic non-answer, but instead was surprised when Hawley said "yes, she truly does love Ray" without hesitation. I thought that was really neat. :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

White Rabbit posted:

I felt that it was their intention to leave it unclear if Nikki was using him or not and that was probably my favorite thematic thread of the season - what's Nikki really about. All expectations were leading to "using him to get out of parole poo poo, then money through the stamp thing", but the direction, writing and acting were making it unclear and eventually you had to feel she was genuine.

And then on episode 5 she's blackmailing Sy on the phone and she keeps Ray out of the loop before going to meet him on her own (leading to her getting beat up). Why is she going alone and not even telling Ray what's up? To surprise him, to protect him (or to protect the plan, Ray being a fuckup)? I choose to believe that she was about to betray him and leave with the money.

So, uh, gently caress Hawley for saying otherwise. Nikki and I have sympatico.

If she'd intended to betray Ray and run off with the money, I doubt Nikki would have gotten to Leland Palmer's Mystical Bowling Alley, though. Let alone be given a second chance there.

And if saying "when the Gophers play, put a little beer in a bowl and put it in front of the TV" for Kitty Ray isn't true love, then I don't know what is :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Just watched the last episode of season 3, and I'm in the "not as good as the first two seasons, but still really good" camp. I liked Nikki and Gloria a lot, thought Ewan McGregor did a fine job in his dual roles, and I also really enjoyed Thewlis' performance as Varga. And it was good to see Mr. Wrench again.

I will go on record as saying that the entire bowling alley sequence with Ray Wise, from the time Nikki and Wrench first arrived to the moment Yuri was confronted with past sins (both his own, with Helga, and the sins of his Cossack ancestors), was some of the best television ever.

E: Also I just read this interview with Noah Hawley and I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

quote:

And I have a good sense of why Nikki can't let get of what Emmit did, but why do you think Mr. Wrench can't let go?

Well, I mean, he probably fell in love with her a little bit, don't you think? Wouldn't you? The last time we saw Mr. Wrench [in the present], his partner had been killed and it was clear that that was meaningful to him. I firmly believe that if Malvo had lived, he would have seen Mr. Wrench again. I do feel like there's a degree to which he fell in with Nikki and then, at the end of it, Nikki showed him she was an honorable person. He kept all the money and she just wanted justice and she never got that justice. So I think that to the degree that he had any kind of code, he was coming. One way or another.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

JBP posted:

Just need somewhere to vent my love for this Big Lebowski homage starring Leland Palmer.

I've said it before, but that whole sequence in the bowling alley is some of the best television ever, in my opinion. If just for Ray the Kitten alone :3:

• Locked thread