Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Nobody tell me how Bridge works I have made it this far without learning what any of the nicknames for the combos and maneuvers mean and I gotta keep pushing that boulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I will openly and gleefully admit I gasped and then screamed when the Stasi officer explained to the person being interrogated that names can be changed but the truth must be told.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

Stupid question, but the fluid that was going into the drain in that cold opening interrogation scene, was water from the snow melting from the guy's shoes, right?

Yeah, the shot previous to it is his shoes covered in ice and melting snow

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Consider that it's basically the Coen aesthetic to have a story consisting of the following moving parts: a valuable macguffin (almost always A Bunch of Cash in a Briefcast), a meanderingly philosophical hitman, a completely random instance of bad luck looping a group of characters into nefarious dealings, an unbending avatar of "the law", and someone instigating a crime (usually a kidnapping) and it blowing up in their faces.

The names may change but the truth must be told

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I am loving how almost every conversation in season 3 so far has someone misunderstanding a word someone uses, or having to explain a word they used because the other person doesn't know what they meant.

It ties into the reveal in S2 of the Dad Cop working on a Universal Language to prevent these sort of situations, which, especially in Fargo-verse, cause all sorts of horrific misdeeds to escalate.

Varga knowing every language, and a bunch of the music in this season being vocal but non-language [that Italian fake-English song, the throat singing), all add to this beauty.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 29, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Wasn't ready for a Nier: Automata crossover but we'll see what happens.

I can help!!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Anyone else hoping that season 3 continues the trend of casually mentioning one of the characters taking a thumb up their rear end during sex? Malvo in season one and Mike Milligan in season two.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

Animation bits were cool, but I guess I'm the only on who was terribly bored by the entire opening and most of the ep? Sleazy Jewish producer in the 70's uses drugs and a hot chick to scam a naive creative person. Okay? It's just like the most obvious and straight forward cliche story possible with the setups that are there. And while it is fun to see Mac in other stuff, I found it very jarring that he's LITERALLY Ronald MacDonald from Always Sunny as a LA cop. I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

This has to be my least favorite episode out of the entire Fargo series so far and the only one I really felt skipping through was warranted because nothing was happening that hasn't already been seen a million times, except for the animation bits and little things here and there. Man alive.

Aw geeze

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

See also: Key and Peele as Detectives Key and Peele

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

There was something pretty David Lynch styled terrifying about just barely seeing Malvo on the ground of Varga's mobile lair narrating the episode

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What would it take for the V.M. to stand for a translation of "Big Bad"?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

There are no aliens slowly spreading across Earth, infiltrating the unassuming lands of rural America. Varga being incapable of digesting food and asserting that humans do not understand what wealth actually is is just, uh, metaphor

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga. To connect the theme of quantum superposition and "we're going to hollow out your company and steer you around like a loving car", the dude we see might just be a human possessed by an alien intelligence alien bountyhunter shapeshifter android replicant middleman representing the "real" Varga. A sort of Chinese Room for Crime. I feel like one of the Stussy Boys is going to end up being the "new Varga", and the other might have to fill in for the other forever.

Edit: My grandma, what big eyes you have.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

It was 10001 dollars because he needed quarters,

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Wolf in Cyrillic looks like "Bonk" so we can now infer that Varga's "True Name", the name that binds him to this mortal form, is Mr. Bonk

This makes more sense than trying to use numerology based on killcounts to interpret Fargo

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Every season has had someone taking a thumb in the rear end during sex so we have something to look forward to

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Astounding to me that even though he wanted his enraged brother to concede Emmit won the duel because he had the moral high ground

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

precision posted:

This season is about information and communication and how they create reality rather than represent it. Varga is an unrestricted Internet/global economy personified. There are other themes but that seems to me to be the big one.

e: like, even to the point where his plan for getting them rich is to buy literal empty lots and he says out loud "I might as well not exist"

Every episode (and often numerous scenes within an episode) has had someone using a word and someone else misunderstanding it and requiring clarification

edit: Which ties into the alien glyphs in season 2 as a constructed language to prevent miscommunication, the cause of all problems

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I stand by my theory that the Varga we see is just a middleman

For aliens

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Tonight we get confirmation about the alien infiltrators.

Stay alert!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Gloria is in the process of collapsing all of her carefully tended quantum waveforms so surely she will burn that uncertainty into pure magic power (to fight off Alien Varga)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's a sad commentary when the most exciting part of season 3 is the introduction of a minor character from the second-best season of the series who didn't even have any lines.

Still a good show, just not as good.

Yeah it'd be sad to be a trained seal barking at shapes I recognize but thankfully I enjoy the absurdity of the new season in its terms.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Harminoff posted:

How about this season of Fargo having nothing to do with Fargo so far?

How about it?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

This episode confirmed Multiple Varga Theory

The finale will surely show us an alien or two

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

All of the Vargas milling about the hotel lobby.

Perhaps a hivemind situation?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

anime was right posted:

i feel like gloria will play a single important role in the next episode.

she can help.

She will use her EM-nullification field (she can control it now) to go through the microwave hallway and shut down the Alien ship before it launches.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

precision posted:

I'm watching the documentary on pyramid scheme Herbalife and I'm pretty sure Varga is based on the president of that, he has weird nasty pointy broken teeth, nightmare teeth

It's on Netflix called Betting on Zero

I'd rather drink out of Varga's cup than put Herbalife in my body

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Sighs for Sy...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Still one episode left for someone to get a thumb up their rear end.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

What if someone else went and got the salad?

He probably would have waited for a different time that Emmit would be alone, if I had to guess. I'm no hit man though, so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Comparison is the death of joy and personal scorecards are silly.

Each season takes similar ingredients and does different things with it, and I enjoy all of them on their strengths.

Season 3 definitely seems to take the meta-view of Coen styled "truth is very hard to whittle down to" escalating misunderstanding and wrap it around several plot threads that don't all follow through to the end of the season. That's intended, I feel. The incompleteness is a component on its own.

• Locked thread