Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just finished up the last episode. After the tremendousness of Season 2, there was no way Season 3 could really grab me the same way and that is unfortunately what ended up happening. There was just too much I rolled my eyes at, even if there was plenty to truly enjoy. I found more parallels between this season of Fargo and Season 2 of True Detective than I did between the first scene of this season and the last scene of this season. I don't really feel like it earned the cut-to-black. I wasn't feeling any anxiousness to see if Varga would or wouldn't get taken away, I just stopped caring. I got more emotion out of Burgle chilling at Swango's corpse than I did out of anything else that happened this episode and a big part of that was the amazing cinematography. And Burgle getting "fixed" by receiving a hug was the most emotional thing in the season for me. Just sucks that it felt like it didn't really lead to anything. The Solversons pretty much ruined me for whatever they were trying to convey with this season's Burgle.

Maybe, in the end, the season was soured to me because the core plot, the thing Noah Hawley came up with that convinced him to do this third season, was actually a plot of an episode of American Dad, which means it was probably the plot of something even further back in time. The old "inherited seemingly more valuable item instead of inherited actually vastly more valuable item" thing. I'm sure there's a trope name for it.

I dunno. I wanted to love this season and it fell flat for me. But I'm a freak who wants to just watch Season 2 over and over again with different plots but the same actors and cinematography so what do I matter.

Edit: And now reading the post above this one, I see what they were going for with Burgle. Nope, still don't care. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

I also have to admit that Deaf Guy from Season One felt completely awful to me in this season. I kept asking why he was there, what the point of him was, what was motivating him etc. You'd think it was money, but in the end he avenged his dead partner/granted her last request. Why did he care about her at all? They were literall forced together, and though they worked together we never saw them actually share any moments that would make me think they liked each other or sympathised with the others' goals. The last time we saw Deaf Guy he split after his longtime partner and friend was killed - are we to take it he cared more about this lady he knows nothing about that his buddy from the first season who was fluent in sign and seemed to have worked with him for years? Or that this dude who we saw kill an innocent man and dump in a lake cares about the goals of someone he's chained to? That he's willing to go to jail for that even after getting his money?

It felt like the worst kind of fanservice, because it wasn't just a cameo - they pretended he was a plot-important character when he absolutely wasn't.
They spent, what, 3 months together? I kinda figured the whole "saved each other's lives and killing someone who came after them" was a pretty strong initial bond, with Nikki learning sign language to talk to him as an indicator that they've bonded strongly over that 3 months where they've been on the run, training Nikki, gathering intel, and making a plan. When you're a trained assassin like Mr. Wrench, you don't let anyone come after you without proper retaliation. Plus, he was important because Nikki wouldn't have been able to handle her revenge plot alone.

Unless you mean at the very, very end when he shows up for a quick little murder. That was just his vengeance for Nikki. Nothing more, nothing less.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ray Wise's character is merely another facet of the theme of this season, that many things are both real and not real. We saw him early on as a real person and then later on as an ethereal person. Go back and read someone's post about this but it's essentially an explanation for a lot of "why the gently caress" in this season and I don't like it and it's dumb.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

sicDaniel posted:

I watched the first three episodes weekly, didn't like most of it so I stopped. Binged the rest over the last two days and while episodes 8+9 were pretty good, I think the season is bad compared to the first two. I agree with the general complains in the thread, the characters were too one-dimensional and the plot too thin. Unlike the first two seasons I don't remember ever having that "oh my god it's already over" feeling at the end of any episode. On the contrary more than once I thought an episode was over and there were still 10 minutes to go.

I also don't understand what's supposed to be so clever about the opening scene of episode one versus the final scene. Of course I am inclined to believe the civilian in the first scene because Stasi bureaucracy has a reputation of arresting innocent people and I know nothing about the civilian, he also sounds like a nice guy who is genuinely troubled.
And of course I think that Varga is a dirty liar, I just watched 10 episodes of TV establishing that and also he comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat in that scene.

Now some people consider this commentary on how we understand stories and how we perceive reality and I agree somewhat, but - like so many things this season - it's way too on-the-nose.
Okay. In that case, I don't think serial vs binge mattered at all, since this mirrors what I thought and I binged the first 3 eps but serialed the rest.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Even if you are down on this season, you have to appreciate that episode 3 is probably the best episode from any season. It's also one of the best episodes of anything put on TV, in my opinion. The monologue that Zimmerman delivers from the hospital is so well done, even if it is a little heavy handed. There's a real Ozymandias vibe to that scene that ties into the entirety of the season nicely.
Oh absolutely. The season has fantastic moments and episode 3 is just one giant fantastic moment.
"Am I getting laid tonight or what?"
"Or what."
The problem is that it's not a giant amazing season the way the previous 2 were, that's all.

• Locked thread