Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had no idea David Thewlis was gonna be in this. His performance in Naked is still one of my favorite things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That cold open was loving amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Capntastic posted:

Nobody tell me how Bridge works I have made it this far without learning what any of the nicknames for the combos and maneuvers mean and I gotta keep pushing that boulder

Nobody knows how Bridge works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I heard "flip a B-word" but since I've never heard of "flip a bitch" as slang for U-turn I was just like "...what?"

The only slang for U-turn I can remember hearing is "flip a U-ee (yoo-ee)" in New England

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mae posted:

My small town coworkers sometimes refer to it as "whipping a nut" (Alberta) so there's that too.

Of the many things that could be slang for, making a 180 degree turn in a vehicle is not the one I'd expect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ewan is definitely doing better at keeping down his Scottish accent as Ray than as Emmitt, he's killing it as Ray

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved that scene because in 99% of my life, the fact that I can speak German fluently is never ever loving useful

Mr. Nemo posted:

The door didn't open for the police officer in that one scene, so I'm going to be the first one to suggest that this season's thing is vampires or something.

:ghost:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm thinking Ray is an ex-cop or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While I think it's great that the show has a theme and sticks to it (the same theme as the film, people bumbling into preposterously hosed up situations) I do have a sneaking suspicion they're going to subvert it this time. I don't know how or to what extent but I do think the play for your third album is to go weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kinda interesting for the show to go full speed on giving clues about some kind of science fiction stuff going on with the police chief. I wouldn't be surprised if this season ends up getting exponentially weird.

Like I'm even wondering if McGregor's accent slipping when he's Emmitt is supposed to be intentional and he's a Scottish con artist or something because he keeps it in check as Ray (and as every other American he's ever played in his career).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

Anyone else feel like Nikki might be taking Ray for a ride?

No. I thought that at first but I think they're genuinely simpatico

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ArmZ posted:

apparently he's good at bridge, or at least a good partner for her.

I think that's going to come back around though it looked to me as though they were so good at bridge because she's a big distraction

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, I just finished season 3 of HaCF and I did not realize that was Scoot McNairy, though I did keep thinking "where have I seen him?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Are all these gigantic, global crime syndicates in Minnesota based on something real or are they completely made up? It's so loving ridiculous that you have all these Anton Chigurs and various crime families fighting over some bland, sleepy small towns.

There are entire small towns in the deep South that are under the control/protection of organized crime - sometimes the Mafia, sometimes the Korean Mafia, sometimes White Supremacists. Those are the only three that I know for sure of. And some of those towns are even smaller than the ones in the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the Schrodinger's Cat stuff is foreshadowing that the ex-Chief is both alive and dead, hence why the door never opens for her and cell phones don't hear her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely expect Ray Wise to show back up, after all, "What're the odds?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So are we to presume that Theodore saw "Ennis Stussy" on the toilet, and decided "I'll change my name to Ennis and go where Stussy Toilets are operated out of"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supercar Gautier posted:

He named himself "Ennis Stussy" and went to Minnesota without knowing there was any other Stussy family there.

"What're the odds?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Justin Credible posted:

I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

You remember wrong then because that is totally what he was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...Mac wasn't literally playing Mac, he was playing a guy with the same mannerisms and attitude.

And that's what I meant with Howerton, his character had the same mannerisms and attitude as Dennis.

Unless I missed something and the cop we saw literally said "My name is Mac and I'm from Philly"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

That's just you. He was 100% douchebag to me.

"I'll take two beers." [TURNS] "Do you want two beers?" loving killed me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

The one thing I'd add is that I'm fairly certain the stamps we're promised to Ray, but Emmit convinced him to make the trade.

Or at least that's how Ray tells it.

That's how they both told it. Emmit says something like "You begged me to let you take the car".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
David Thewlis is most popularly known for playing a werewolf in Harry Potter, but he got his critical breakout in Mike Leigh's Naked in 1993, in which he says...

"I was a werewolf, but I got better."

:aaa:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Klungar posted:

Julianne Moore's friend.

holy poo poo, I have watched Naked and Big Lebowski both in double digits and never noticed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RIP Numbers :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Nemo posted:

Malvo season 1: "Haven't had pie this good since Eden."

Apple pie. Apple. Eden. Apple.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it was more psychologically gross than actually gross, though with Varga, I mean, who knows what kind of pus is leaking from that spotted dick? :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the scene was also intentionally meta-misleading because they knew we'd think "oh wow they killed off Nikki"

I almost wish they had, just to really screw with "the formula". Before that scene I was positive Nikki would be in the season finale, and that scene made me question my assumptions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that whole scene, I felt like Sy looked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, I had my doubts about this season but this episode just destroyed them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season is about information and communication and how they create reality rather than represent it. Varga is an unrestricted Internet/global economy personified. There are other themes but that seems to me to be the big one.

e: like, even to the point where his plan for getting them rich is to buy literal empty lots and he says out loud "I might as well not exist"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nikki is actually dead, that's why she was lying in cold water, to keep from decomposing. Aspirin was to keep her blood from clotting shut.

I'm not sure I'm kidding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am gonna look so awesome when zombie Nikki eats Varga's brains

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I liked this episode and I like this season. Take that, internet. :smug:

:same:

This season has been slow and weird compared to the first two and we'll see how it ends up falling in the rankings but I can't say I haven't been surprised and delighted so far. So happy to see Mr. Wrench. Maybe the local crime families are fighting back against Varga and that's going to become apparent when next episode opens with Wrench killing Varga's goon and saving Gloria :3:

"Ya didn't tell me yer a hitman!"
*passes her a note* "WAS"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mr. Wrench is gonna mime the entirety of Bill's "I had a partner" speech from The Last of Us and it's gonna be great.

edit: Ray Wise showing up mysteriously at the same time as the Twin Peaks reboot is fantastic timing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nick Rivers posted:

Someone in the av club comments pointed out that Yuri Gurka is the name of the murderer the USSR interrogator accused the innocent guy of being in the first scene of the season

We don't know that he was innocent. I thought the slow pan down to show that he had melting snow on his shoes was meant to establish that, in fact, he had killed that girl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rochallor posted:

Calling it now, because it will be amazing if it's true and nobody will remember if it isn't: Gloria is the robot from the novel.

Gloria is Schrodinger's Cop. She both is, and isn't. That's why the doors don't open for her. IIRC this was stated outright in an interview.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AbstractNapper posted:

That sounds like a misunderstanding about how Schrodinger's Cat theory works or what it is about.

I don't think it's meant to be 100% scientifically accurate or faithful, and I can't find the interview for the life of me but it was posted somewhere in this thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Found it!

KoRMaK posted:

The writer was on fresh air yesterday, and the old cheif def has a schrodinger thing going on that was accented:
-divored and not divorced
-cheif and not a cheif
-electronics don't see here
-is a lady "out of time", no facebook, computers, etc

The part where auto sensors don't see her is def some quantum mechanics stuff - the detectors don't see her because she is and isn't at the same time.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/15/528459775/fargo-is-a-series-about-the-things-people-do-for-money

Noah Hawley posted:

HAWLEY: No - she - yeah, she's a woman out of time on some level. And she's both - you know, I mean, when we meet her, she's going through a divorce, so she's sort of both married and divorced. And she's both chief and not chief. I mean, she's existing in this dual state of being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: duh

• Locked thread