Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pr0p posted:

Like the deadly fish storm in S1.

Implausible rains of fish or other animals is a real thing that's happened off and on for centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AbstractNapper posted:

Stussy's lawyer who tried to look him up, downloaded *something* by clicking on a link and then a malware took control of his webcam, took a picture of the lawyer and send it back to Vargas, and then fried his PC and apparently the rest of the PCs in that office's LAN.

So, not actively hacking, but he has access to and makes use of some really advanced and intrusive tools and malware.

I took that to mean one of his goons is an IT guy. Varga is Management.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krispy Kareem posted:

Varga can't even keep his teeth half presentable. All we've ever seen him do in his rolling data center is sleep on the floor.

When he first presented himself, I could have sworn he spoke as if he represented other people (maybe Ray Wise). I think we're going to find he's just a middleman.

I mean, he did say "I might as well not even exist".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krispy Kareem posted:

It'll make more sense if he reappears because he's a magical Gollum.

I would bet literal money this will happen. The way he was so easily decapitated (made of clay?) and being literally named The Golem makes me like 99% sure he's going to come back in the big showdown scene because he's a Terminator.

Him and Mr. Wrench might have a really cool fight scene, if we're lucky.

"LOOKING FOR U"
"LOOKING FOR US"
"SORRY"

drat I love Nikki/Wrench.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Meemo doing capoeira was another highlight of the episode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, while I understand some of the complaints about this season, I don't get the complaints about Varga. Thewlis is killing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I thought they were actually pulling from Hotline Miami, I mean they had it even down to the jacket.

I assumed it was either this, or wherever Hotline Miami stole it from (no idea if they did those specific masks and outfit first)

Pretty cool reference if so. It wouldn't surprise me if Noah was a gamer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I've seen it, but I didn't know it predated Hotline Miami, and also had forgotten that they used the same masks :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 1 is the Fargo of Fargo
Season 2 is the Man Who Wasn't There of Fargo
Season 3 is the A Serious Man of Fargo

It makes sense to me!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe Joel and Ethan could do season 4 :aaa:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always heard that Ray Wise is an incredibly nice guy to work with (have also heard that about Kyle McLachlan)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish the first half of this season had been as badass as that. That was just incredible top to bottom and I was doing irl fistpumps and cheering at Nikki and Wrench being the baddest of asses

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you think about it, this guy has been involved with what is implied to be the crime syndicate in Fargo for his whole adult life and he learned from Hanzee of all people.

I fully believe that him and Nikki are going to become Coen Universe Batman and Robin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Not a Chekov's plot hole. Good jackets can easily last 4 years and more

I own a red vinyl jacket that is older than I am and is in perfect shape still. Jackets are freaking magic, man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching the documentary on pyramid scheme Herbalife and I'm pretty sure Varga is based on the president of that, he has weird nasty pointy broken teeth, nightmare teeth

It's on Netflix called Betting on Zero

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

White Rabbit posted:

Also nitpicking: from episode 8, decapitating the goon by pulling a handcuff chain against his neck is cartoonish at best.

He was made of clay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Ray's life was probably more fun than Emmitt's by an order of magnitude

Swango and Bridge > Sy and dinner parties

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've liked her in several things but this is probably the best thing she's done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If she'd intended to betray Ray and run off with the money, I doubt Nikki would have gotten to Leland Palmer's Mystical Bowling Alley, though. Let alone be given a second chance there.

What frustrates me most about not getting a season 4 would be that we will probably never know why Wrench was given a second chance at all. Ray Wise says something like "They didn't want you to come, but I argued for it" and it seems like there's a story there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was loving brilliant from start to finish. Wish the front half season had been even close to how great that ending was, especially the final scene. Okay then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish this too and also that this season as a whole was as entertaining to watch as it is to discuss afterwards. It's weird but I'm getting far more satisfaction from this thread and reading articles about themes etc than I did from the vast majority of this series.

I wonder if it'd be a better season to binge.

One thing I really loved was how the final scene mirrored the first in every way. In the final scene, we're rooting for Gloria's version of the truth, even though it doubtless doesn't line up with what the documents in Varga's pocket say, or what Google says if you look him up. We've seen a story that tells us this man is VM Varga and he deserves to be punished for transgressions.

In the opening scene, we're rooting for the man being interrogated (or indifferent to him) specifically because we haven't seen any story, or the story. All we know is that it sounds like he's the victim of bureaucracy; but in the final scene, we're being explicitly shown the hubris of bureaucracy to believe that it can transcend facts, and hoping that it can't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, the IRS guy said that Emmitt was "protected at the highest levels" and his investigation had been stopped by "Washington" the year before. Varga is or works for someone with truly terrifying power; but that doesn't mean he's right in the final scene. Real life is full of people who think they're untouchable but get caught.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Those are all good arguments that are undercut somewhat by the fact that Varga does not exist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole season was full of references to things being in dual states, and Varga is no exception. He disappears from the elevator, and in the interview outright states something like "I am a citizen of the air, I am as the wind". He's not a human being, any more than Ray Wise's character was. That's why the ending can't be resolved until we see it - he may be a supernatural force beyond all reach (he literally disappeared from the elevator) or he may just be a man (he climbed out of the elevator). It's not up to the viewer to resolve this dilemma; the ending was a flat statement that we simply can't resolve it, unless we come up with a story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Varga didn't lie when he bamboozled Emmitt either. He said "MIGHT be equipped with a fingerprint scanner".

This is extremely important. The season is about perception, reality, and how they're manipulated.

There is no right answer to what happens after the cut to black. It's quantum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

I was thinking that Gloria's smile at the end signified something very important, that while Varga is right and that in the real world people like him walk all the time, in Fargo Season 3 he's not in the real world and he's not a real person. He's a fictional character and allegorical figure, and anything can happen to him and all bets are off. He's just as likely to get arrested as he is to walk free in the world of Fargo the series, and the suspended moment at the end never ends. The credits roll and that moment never stops, he's forever frozen between two possibilities. And that in itself is a type of prison, one that he'll never escape from.

Yeah that's what I've been getting at, but I didn't pick up on her smile being that realization, and I believe you're right. In fact, I now believe that Gloria was telling a story to Varga. They were both telling each other stories that were equally likely, but equally unknowable to either of them (or us).

I think this might be my favorite season of Fargo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LentThem posted:

i was 100% certain about a thing, now im 100% certain about a mutually exclusive thing

To be fair, this is thematically consistent with the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I thought season 3 was better than 2

Definitely agreed, but before the finale I'm not sure I would have.

Escobarbarian posted:

I love 303 but I know a few people who were down on it

I liked it but I wouldn't say it was the best ep of the season or anything.

• Locked thread