Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

IS the old guys house the same as the gertharts?

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Gerharts didn't even live in Minnesota as I recall

Yeah, the Gerhardt compound was in Fargo itself, which is in North Dakota but straddles the Minnesota border.

It's kind of a running joke that the plot only ever tangentially involves Fargo, while the main story takes place in various towns within Minnesota proper (Brainerd, Bemidji, Duluth, Luverne, Eden Valley/Prairie, all of which are a fair distance from Fargo).

In any event, yeah, the house doesn't look anything like the Gerhardt compound, and is nowhere near it to boot.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MarksMan posted:

Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

Chances are, that scene will not be explained in any more detail by the show than it already has been. But some of its motifs have already emerged pretty clearly in the main story, like mistaken identity and irrational stubbornness in the face of error (Maurice goes after the wrong man in the wrong town, then refuses to admit or even understand that he hosed up).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 27, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Season 1 had three actors who have been on Always Sunny, and all three of their characters died. Season 2 also had one actor who'd been on Always Sunny, but he lived. Thanks IMDb.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

clown shoes posted:

I can only recall Dennis in season one.

Well golly, if you click the link you can find out who the others are!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

What did the scammers get out of Ennis? I must have missed something.

He kept writing cheques to Zimmerman from the advance for his book, on the false premise Zimmerman would use it for "greasing the right wheels" to sign big stars and help the movie come together.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

He named himself "Ennis Stussy" and went to Minnesota without knowing there was any other Stussy family there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Indeed. I like that they did this, and I do find it clever in that regard.

However, the first of the 3 stories seemed vague (as compared to the other two) and Vargas concludes with something along the lines of "the perception of reality becomes reality" which didn't really make sense to me as the point of the (Lehman) bank story --I should mention though that I am not familiar with the details of what actually happened with that bank -- or as something that connected the other two stories.

The story with the bank is about how a financial disaster can occur without any physical basis. A bank goes under not because something happened in the material world, but because of something that happened in the symbolic, representational, transactional world of finance. The bank is insolvent because it is collectively perceived and agreed to be insolvent, not because it lost any tangible assets.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Varga's first scene was great, but I think it was the kind of scene that would have been so much more effective if we rarely (maybe never) saw him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Because he's intimidated. Varga's done an effective job convincing Emmitt that he's basically untouchable, omniscient, and invincible.

• Locked thread