Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RIP Aliceteria. Who would have thought, the world's biggest jobber continued to job to the very end.

Oh, also Selesia, I dunno, she was cool at first but then she pretty much stopped being a character at around the midway mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well, stuff happened.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally the true protagonists can take over: Magane and Souta.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
On one hand, I don't really care if the world gets destroyed because it's not that good a world and I don't really care about any of the characters in it

On the other hand, I loving hate Altair and her stupid lovely chuuni... everything, so I want her to lose.

This week's episode had enough happening in it that I enjoyed it somewhat. Kinda funny how we've basically lost two of the most prominent creations. I wonder if Meteora is going to survive the show?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm glad I dropped this around episode 5.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
You didn't drop complaining about it until at least episode 19, though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The last two episodes were good. I liked the part where the VN girl took down Charon's mech with one kick and everyone was like "what the hell".

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I thought today's episode was pretty good. I suspectedAltair wasn't going to go down with their copy of her taking her on. I figured they'd have to bring in Setsuna somehow. What was the deal with Sota and the necklace and Magane? Did she give him that necklace a couple of episodes ago? I'll have to go back and watch it. I think she did.

I get the impression all Megane really ever wanted from Sota was for him to admit that he was no better than she is. It's interesting how the one character who has been more or less neutral throughout has tipped the balance. None of the writers or artists did anything to her "character".

In truth though, I can see now the fate of the whole entire world can hinge on Japanese anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Show good again.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Definitely better than it was for most of the series. Finally getting some of that payoff for the truckload of exposition this show has made me sit through.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I feel like I should have kept a tally of how many times they repeated the
1. I've powered up! This is how we stop you!
2. "Some chuuni poo poo."
3. It didn't work, oh no!

e: Still worth it for the real hero of the story and only character worth tuning in every week for, Magane.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
From the moment her character concept was explained I just knew this was gonna end up with a Shaman King type ending.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kyte posted:

From the moment her character concept was explained I just knew this was gonna end up with a Shaman King type ending.
Please explain the ending of Shaman King for me. I never bothered reading it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"this evil guy is trying to become the next king and we are trying to stop it while having truly outrageous power level inflation"

"oh, never mind i guess. he'll probably be a good king or something."

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Grouchio posted:

Please explain the ending of Shaman King for me. I never bothered reading it.

Hao successfully fused with the great spirit and became the objectively strongest character in the entire setting. The power ups the cast got were useless.
At this point they were fighting inside the great spirit itself, where all souls end up after death, so instead they find his mom (because this all started with mommy issues) to talk some sense to him and he stops being such a dick.
Still becomes God, though.

So Hao wins but loses the motivation to do the thing everybody was trying to prevent in first place.

Now replace the relevant characters with Altair and Setsuna.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

This anime certainly has a satisfying ending, shame the middle section dragged too much. It was annoying seeing how he would build up the character Sota was making but it was actually pretty clever.

The show could have easily been 13 episodes, though.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 9, 2017

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Writing a fanfiction version of my friend to tell me that I'm not at fault for her suicide is a really, really funny ending.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Writing a fanfiction version of my friend to tell me that I'm not at fault for her suicide is a really, really funny ending.

I mean I think he still blamed himself, and it's clear he realized he could never actually apologize to that version as well.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I mean I think he still blamed himself, and it's clear he realized he could never actually apologize to that version as well.

I agree. Kid had really understandable problems, and it's good that he got to work them out a bit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQFon7hjHM

This feels appropriate, for some reason.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i think i may hate this show now

it was one thing when altair was a bad chuuni fantasy of nihilistic bullshit, that had entertainment value in a superficial "lol stupid" way

but for her to be that BUT ALSO a moon eyed crybaby the second she meets her mommy...

The entire emotional side of this show strikes me as weepy and melodramatic in the worst way. Not necessarily in an unrealistic way, but just realistic in the way I would expect from unpleasant people that I hate?

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 10, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Part of me wonders if that's explicitly the point

like, to some degree, this show is about contradictions and hypocrisy, or at least has themes of that. Nothing happens for necessarily plausible reasons, everything in this show boils down to being about doing whatever the gently caress you want, as long as it's compelling and you can get other people on board, because that's what storytelling kind of is. The entire premise of the stadium tournament thing was built on that, getting a big audience to believe asspulls with enough justification and preparation. Magane's entire character kinda shoves that idea even more in your face.

I think that's what this show's kinda trying to convey? That we use stories as a way to rationalize our lives when they don't make sense, even if these stories aren't completely thought out, and that they have a lot of power both on other people and ourselves. And at the end, Sota wanted more than anything some kind of closure, a way to fix what he basically couldn't, and he used this story to do that, writing in something to work through what was eating at him. It didn't necessarily matter if it made sense for Altair because it stopped being her story at that moment, and started being Sota's.

I don't think Altair's actually going to be some kind of god, I think what we saw was some kind of convoluted emotional projection, and that vaguely makes sense in this show because the important part of stories is how they make people feel. The audience approved of a blatant, cheap, emotional crit because your average viewer is a sucker for that stuff, and Sota felt resolution, and honestly that will probably sort everything out.

there's still an episode left so i have to wonder if it'll affirm my instinct on what it's trying to say. the show really could've done a better job saying that, without wrapping it up in so many layers of confusing bullshit, but there's kind of an interesting theme here buried beneath Troyca's inability to write a completely cohesive story for humans to understand.

but i think at this point it's fair to give a viewpoint and like. I didn't hate the show but it needed more restraint, guidance, and pruning to make what it was going for clearer. Almost the entire cast seemed to only have their functions half fulfilled. Selesia was cool and all at first but with how she went out I'm genuinely not sure why she was in the show. Yuuya had a moment later on that was fun but he existed almost solely to justify people fighting for the first half. Magane had all the makings of a great character but her ultimate influence feels weak. I think the show was ultimately actually about resolving Sota's feelings but he's such a non-character that it's hard to care about them. They needed to merge, collate, draw more parallels, something to prevent a cast of very half-boiled individuals, otherwise you've got a show that feels all over the place. I think Troyca's a studio that has a lot of possibility and some really good pitches and playbooks but they're so weak when it comes to actual writing and directing that their short tenure has felt like a library of interesting and wasted ideas. music was good, art looked fine, which helps typically.

this has been my 2 AM :words: about a weird dumb anime, but it's the kind of show that prods you to make words in a way, so w/e. most people understandably aren't going to like this one, but it held my attention, managed to keep a weak cast's names and identities in my head, and kept me thinking about what it was going for, so there's that. It Wasn't Completely Boring/10

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

This show is about technically going through the motions and then demanding you like it. There are flashes of genuine fun here and there, but man it just doesn't seem like the finished product was worth much.

I'm glad I watched it, but wish it had lived up to the expectations I had during the first few episodes instead of deteriorating and leaning so hard on the exposition.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Once again, yuri saves the world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

but i think at this point it's fair to give a viewpoint and like. I didn't hate the show but it needed more restraint, guidance, and pruning to make what it was going for clearer. Almost the entire cast seemed to only have their functions half fulfilled. Selesia was cool and all at first but with how she went out I'm genuinely not sure why she was in the show. Yuuya had a moment later on that was fun but he existed almost solely to justify people fighting for the first half. Magane had all the makings of a great character but her ultimate influence feels weak. I think the show was ultimately actually about resolving Sota's feelings but he's such a non-character that it's hard to care about them. They needed to merge, collate, draw more parallels, something to prevent a cast of very half-boiled individuals, otherwise you've got a show that feels all over the place. I think Troyca's a studio that has a lot of possibility and some really good pitches and playbooks but they're so weak when it comes to actual writing and directing that their short tenure has felt like a library of interesting and wasted ideas. music was good, art looked fine, which helps typically.

Honestly, I'd go as far as to say some of the characters weren't just unneeded, but actively detrimental to the show's intended goals.

Like, Mamika and Alice. What did they do to influence the story's course? About jack and poo poo. Provided some prospective on how creations could interact with the world, then got murdered by Altair.

But they did make for relatively likable and sympathetic characters, with better arcs than most of the cast, so it seems fair to say they got some share of viewer investment. And when a cute and innocent hero gets murdered by someone when she was just trying to help, and when her girlfriend's vengeance kick is no-sold, that's pretty textbook buildup to the aforementioned villain getting her teeth kicked in. Villain kills someone you like, you want them dead, narrative trick as old as the hills.

Which means when the show doesn't go that way, and gives her a happy ending and everything she wants... well, who knows what the finale'll do, but right now it seems like a bit of a disconnect between intentions and likely audience reactions. Maybe they had some brilliant plan in mind. Given the rest of the show, I have my doubts.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Rip:CREATORS, you ended as you lived. Talking too drat much.

what, there's another episode? :psyduck:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

Of course, we didn't have a beach episode yet.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The entire last episode was completely predictable and unnecessary. The moment Setsuna and the train station showed up at the end of episode 20 you knew exactly what would happen. If they had done something more interesting or original with this then sure, but as things stand, you could just cut straight from the end of episode 20 to whatever kind of epilogue 22 is going to be and lose nothing. Hell, I'd be fine with it if it at least tried some symbolism by having Setsuna and Altair get on the train and ride off with it into non-existence.

chiasaur11 posted:

Which means when the show doesn't go that way, and gives her a happy ending and everything she wants... well, who knows what the finale'll do, but right now it seems like a bit of a disconnect between intentions and likely audience reactions. Maybe they had some brilliant plan in mind. Given the rest of the show, I have my doubts.

If there's something I took from the elimination chamber episodes it's that the writers don't know how audience expectations work. The fighting was great and I think those were some of the more enjoyable episodes for me. But if I was one of the anime nerds on the crowd and what I thought to be the conclusion of a series of spin-offs started going meta, with the main villain directly referencing me and my expectations I wouldn't be "acceptive" towards it, I'd be increasingly more confused as time went on. The idea of a cheering crowd by the end is stupid to me, all these people should be looking like they're trying to figure out what the hell they just watched.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Eh, not exactly what would happen. I thought there was a not-insignificant chance Altair would just no-sell the heroes' secret weapon for the third time and impale Setsuna straight up before she finished talking. Then she'd grin that smug grin and be like "you didn't really think my resolve was that weak, did you?" and everyone would look on in horror.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If they did that I'd be cool with it. Yes, there are several points where things could have gone differently. Altair could've attacked Setsuna, Setsuna could've joined Altair's side, Blitz could've shot Altair while she was dealing with her meeting Setsuna, there's tons of things that could've plausibly happened. But imagine the latest episode was not shown, and instead we cut straight through to a happy epilogue. You could easily assume from the tone of how the last episode went that Altair and Setsuna talked and reached an understanding and rode off into the sunset. You don't need this episode.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

YF-23 posted:

If they did that I'd be cool with it. Yes, there are several points where things could have gone differently. Altair could've attacked Setsuna, Setsuna could've joined Altair's side, Blitz could've shot Altair while she was dealing with her meeting Setsuna, there's tons of things that could've plausibly happened. But imagine the latest episode was not shown, and instead we cut straight through to a happy epilogue. You could easily assume from the tone of how the last episode went that Altair and Setsuna talked and reached an understanding and rode off into the sunset. You don't need this episode.

"You don't need this" is a weird thing to say about a tv show you're watching voluntarily. I don't understand what you would gain from skipping over it. In a show where a distressing number of episodes have revolved around some combination of gratuitous exposition and incoherent asspulls, the rare episodes here and there that revolve around an understandable emotional core have been a breath of fresh air IMO. I liked the episode in a vacuum, even though most of the stuff that led up to this just had me shaking my head and asking "what are you even doing, Re:Creators?"

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I enjoyed the show as a whole, but take that with a grain of salt because I binged the entire thing within the last 24 hours to distract myself from this hurricane that's happening outside before I lose power.

I guess there's another episode though? I'm not sure what's left to wrap other than whether or not the remaining creations go back to their own worlds or stay here or what though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well they have to do something about Magane considering the whole casual murder thing.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sindai posted:

Well they have to do something about Magane considering the whole being best girl thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I mean, you can be both.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I kind of liked what happened here; the parts of the series I like the most were about how artists and storytellers create as a way of not just working their own issues out, but to also provide that for others as well. The creations in this case are now aware of their own nature and have to come to terms with the fact that they are essentially tools for that purpose. Additionally there's an added sense of creating a legacy for one's self. It's about why people feel the need to create at all, and while I don't think it has been entirely successful in presenting these themes, I like that they were at least explored.

Maybe it worked for me since I struggle with my own creative difficulties, and it's very easy to fall into despair and bitterness like Souta did.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh man it was even more shaman king than I anticipated. :allears:

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

still hoping the characters come back and bash down Rei Hiroe's door

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I've gotten a good amount of entertainment out of trying to figure out why this is bad.
So I guess it was worth watching it for that? Damning it with faint praise.

It had a few nice moments, but it really needed an editor to tell the writers to gently caress off and settle on 12 episodes. And even that would only serve to alleviate its most obvious flaw.
I have to agree with those that said it was just going through the motions.

Can't wait for the end of the year and the annual worst anime thread, since this seems like a good one to talk about in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

I've gotten a good amount of entertainment out of trying to figure out why this is bad.
So I guess it was worth watching it for that? Damning it with faint praise.

It had a few nice moments, but it really needed an editor to tell the writers to gently caress off and settle on 12 episodes. And even that would only serve to alleviate its most obvious flaw.
I have to agree with those that said it was just going through the motions.

Can't wait for the end of the year and the annual worst anime thread, since this seems like a good one to talk about in that context.

I mean, I think we'll want to wait for the final episode before saying exactly how it hosed up every which way but loose. But yeah, right now it seems like it's all epilogue, and that's weird. Even most shows that have a decent sized denouement only dedicate half an episode to it. No point in killing the tension with an episode to go.

But, really, not knowing what the hell it's about seems to be one of the big Re:creators issues in general. Like, Selesia. Gets played like the lead for most of the show, jobs in every single fight, and then dies to an irrelevant mid-boss. Or Mamika and Alice, big subplot, more character development than anyone else in the cast, dead with no influence on the main flow of events except to make them feel more like a cheat. Last episode might try to explain some of it, but as is... no idea what they were playing at.

• Locked thread