Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It was pretty silly how they established that Selesia is not affected by the LNs not yet adapted into her anime (LNs written by the author, illustrated by the artist, and presumably read by thousands of fans) and then expected anything to change when the author wrote a new paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The fictional characters bringing up how tastes and smells are muted in their worlds because they're under described in the media is a clever touch.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

The fictional characters bringing up how tastes and smells are muted in their worlds because they're under described in the media is a clever touch.

In that case characters from cooking manga would probably be incredibly disappointed with our typical food selection.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know why the magic horse makes motorcycle sounds, but it's fine by me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chumbler posted:

Obviously the horse identifies as a motorcycle. Mystery solved.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

chumbler posted:

The Author was obviously somewhat vague on how a magic horse should sound so reality had to improvise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

There Bias Two posted:

In that case characters from cooking manga would probably be incredibly disappointed with our typical food selection.

Or any Brian Jaques characters.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

She's actually the long-lost sister of the Dullahan in Durarara.

Darox posted:

It was pretty silly how they established that Selesia is not affected by the LNs not yet adapted into her anime (LNs written by the author, illustrated by the artist, and presumably read by thousands of fans) and then expected anything to change when the author wrote a new paragraph.

Part of why this episode didn't sit as well with me. There was a few things where characters drew not-entirely-reasonable conclusions, but I just kinda said, "Sure lets go with that." I really just want the show to finish up with establishing its baselines and start developing the plot.

Sindai posted:

Yeah I like these touches.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 23, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It may be possible that Souta helped create Gunpuku in the future and that time fuckery has sent her back to make anime real again.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Darox posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who had this thought. If they're right about popularity being a driving force behind their existence in the real world then Meteora may be an easier way to test out if a Creator can affect change on the Created. Patching a game seems like it'd be less work than pushing out an entire season of anime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sindai posted:

yes the first time, and then they did it another 5 times

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Davincie posted:

yes the first time, and then they did it another 5 times

They're really really impressed by it ok

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This show is really anime.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's anime all the way down maaaannn

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anime... is anime?!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it is an anime about anime, it would be weird if it was less anime

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Note that this anime is NOT about LNs.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
chumbler what the hell happened to your av

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gyra_Solune posted:

it embiggened

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man I hope the authors aren't actually responsible for creating these worlds because that's one hell of a moral cross to bear if you went all grimdark.

Like do you really want to find out that you've got what happens in the world of Berzerk on your hands?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

It took up too much embalming fluid when it was switched out sooo

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
People already commented on this, but i hope the show don't do the "Silver hair girl = Suicidal girl" route, mainly because it brings some heavy elements that may overtake or suffocate the comedy aspect.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Darox posted:

The writer wasn't in the room when they noted that she was from the anime, not the novels, and everyone else is dumb and didn't connect the dots.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

paragon1 posted:

Man I hope the authors aren't actually responsible for creating these worlds because that's one hell of a moral cross to bear if you went all grimdark.

Like do you really want to find out that you've got what happens in the world of Berzerk on your hands?

Are you kidding? Berzerk's author would probably be like, "My only regret is that I didn't make you suffer more."

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Everything about Last Anime Hero makes it sound like typical LN garbage, but I don't hate it yet and am still waiting for it to turn awful.
It seems like it'll keep me waiting, so good on me? Seems like a decent enough find, thanks for the thread, folks.

I hope we get more of playing a machine gun like a violin with a saber, because that owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
saying these things about berserk's author assumes he wouldn't be too absorbed into idolm@ster to care

also you shouldn't wait for things you enjoy to turn awful

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Any given Berserk character: "You mean... there's no hosed up demons or evil gods here? And everyone isn't constantly getting raped or otherwise brutalized? I AM NEVER GOING BACK gently caress MIDLAND"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

There Bias Two posted:

Are you kidding? Berzerk's author would probably be like, "My only regret is that I didn't make you suffer more."

I don't think he'd have the guts.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Any given Berserk character: "You mean... there's no hosed up demons or evil gods here? And everyone isn't constantly getting raped or otherwise brutalized? I AM NEVER GOING BACK gently caress MIDLAND"

*Sees a life-size anime pillow*

I have reconsidered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
*sees a life-sized anime pillow of griffith*

i have reconsidered again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It does make you wonder what happens to a work of art when its characters escape from it. Will the authors have to negotiate when their cast goes on strike?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

do fictional universes portrayed with live action count

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It does make you wonder what happens to a work of art when its characters escape from it. Will the authors have to negotiate when their cast goes on strike?

If it worked that way, you'd be pretty hard pressed to get the bodycounts some genres need.

It's rare enough to find someone willing to die for their own art. Dying for some rear end in a top hat who's the architect of all your suffering's art is not going to be a growth industry.

Caught up. Pretty talky so far, and not always in a good way, but it's fun enough I'm on board.

(And for my vote, the best anime character for this kind of thing is Saitama. Godlike power combined with equally godlike ability to not give a poo poo means that he'd probably just crash at ONE's home and play videogames.)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If only the most popular characters in the most successful franchises are popping into reality, how come none of the real people recognize saber princess? My suspicion is that, similar to Future Diary, she's from some previous revision of the world.

I feel pretty bad for the magical schoolgirl, who is clearly boarding the Madoka suffering train.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

If only the most popular characters in the most successful franchises are popping into reality, how come none of the real people recognize saber princess? My suspicion is that, similar to Future Diary, she's from some previous revision of the world.

I feel pretty bad for the magical schoolgirl, who is clearly boarding the Madoka suffering train.

It's kind of a tossup whether she's going to get some Madoka-style suffering or her great big PTSD case of a girlfriend is going to get converted to the way of sparkles and unicorns. I mean, they're basically coming at the real world from totally opposite directions.

As for MUP, she's pretty obviously atypical in a lot of ways, and I suspect that includes the nature of her 'birth'. I guess she simply found that popular characters were the easiest to bring over with her, rather than her being popular herself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For what purpose does Gunpaku Girl want to wreak havoc and destroy the world? Why is Alice so straight-forwardly dense? When are we going to get another fight?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

For what purpose does Gunpaku Girl want to wreak havoc and destroy the world? Why is Alice so straight-forwardly dense? When are we going to get another fight?

1. Her heavily-implied creator committed suicide, so I'd guess she wants to burn down the world in revenge. What do you do when the rest of Olympus bullies your god to death?

2. It's not that she's dense, it's that she's desperate. Imagine emerging from the world of Berserk and being told that there's someone who can make it less awful with the stroke of a pen. What would you do for that?

3. When Meteora stops talking, which will presumably involve finding someone as serious about gay chicken as she is. The girl with the teeth looks like she's from a Catholic high school, so she might be able to help there.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm glad Meteora was able to see that her Creator cared about her world even when he's dead :unsmith:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm really enjoying the show so far, and it's actually really touching to have it be about people and how they relate to their own art and creations, rather than going for the "this is all just frivolous entertainment look at how silly it is when juxtaposed with reality" angle which is kind of an easy if not cynical comedy route that has been fairly well-tread in the past. Additionally, the concept of these fictional characters having to be "adapted" to the rules and settings of our reality, stretching its own diegetic cohesion in such a way that it'll fall apart or contract violently is genuinely fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

1. Her heavily-implied creator committed suicide, so I'd guess she wants to burn down the world in revenge. What do you do when the rest of Olympus bullies your god to death?

It's not going to be as simple as burn everything revenge, since she could easily do that on her own and hasn't yet. As far as we know she doesn't even interact with normal people in any way.

• Locked thread