Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I knew as soon as I saw her in the OP that the sharktooth schoolgirl would be good, and I'm glad she has exceeded expectations and is finally saving this anime.

If the rest of the cast were half as good as her this would be an easy AOTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Keep in mind that until episode 6 half of the show was exposition. It started roughly halfway through episode 3 and went until the end of episode 5, so that's two and a half episodes out of five episodes. The content of the exposition was also bad because we can see that Meteora has no evidence to back up her claims yet every other character, even the government, is taking it as gospel.

I'm hopeful that the show will be fun now that it looks like Meteora reading her copy of the script is over for a while, but the pacing of the show has been abysmal and the quality of the writing has been very mixed - the writing during the non-exposition scenes has been on point.

This is the same team that did Aldnoah and they learned nothing from it and they're making the exact same mistakes, except they're making them in the first third of the show instead of the last third. Instead of playing to their strengths and having good action scenes set to catchy music they're having boring characters talk at length about a plot that can't stand up to close scrutiny.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate the VA for demon summoner murder girl going all in.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Caught up on the last couple eps tonight. When it's good, this show is a lot of fun (mecha guy, magical girl, evil schoolgirl, most of the inter-creation interactions), but when it's bad (talky bits, Meteora - practically synonymous, really), it's incredibly dull. The creations are all stock characters, but when they're put into these situations that that kind of character was never meant to encounter, they react in fun ways (except for Meteora, who just reacts by talking and making baseless claims about the end of the world).

I hope they can even it out in a good way.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Shark tooth girl is extremely good, and I love her

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am glad that shark-tooth girl is a Nisio character, as expected.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Meteora doesn't have shark teeth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm sure you're making a "overly talky" joke, but I'm talking about the specific things she talks about, not to mention her weird language-based power. She'd be right at home in Medaka Box.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Nah, i don't have to facepalm every time she opens her mouth and yell "That's not how [x] works!" at the screen, so she's deffo not a Nisio character

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, now I actually am not sure what you're talking about.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

chumbler posted:

I appreciate the VA for demon summoner murder girl going all in.

maaya sakamoto is very good at voicing murderers

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mur
https://twitter.com/cibokilly/status/864428750196178944

der

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh hey it's the preview for episode 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKl8HX8qPV8

It's loving nothing!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Grouchio posted:

It's loving nothing!

I don't think they could have engineered a more disappointing preview if they'd tried.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Clarste posted:

She'd be right at home in Medaka Box.

Oof!

Well, I for one, enjoyed the new character and her introduction. She's cool imo.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 17, 2017

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
If the next episode has another 10 minute scene of people sitting around a room and talking I think I'm done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grouchio posted:

It's loving nothing!

Holy poo poo, why???

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's like this show is the Guilty Crown of pacing. Everything feels like filler! :livintrope:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kanos posted:

Holy poo poo, why???

It's like they're trying to destroy this show on purpose.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The only reason I picked this show up and I don't feel let down one bit.

NotALizardman posted:

Shark tooth girl is extremely good, and I love her

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Darox posted:

I knew as soon as I saw her in the OP that the sharktooth schoolgirl would be good, and I'm glad she has exceeded expectations and is finally saving this anime.

i'm also glad Best Girl has arrived

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was the episode good this time?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll watch and let you know

Or you could, well, do it yourself

edit: well within the first minute or so there's constant action, magical girl throwing down threats of indiscriminate violence, sword&shades dude is back AND we get to see his ~~~true form~~~, so i'd err on the side of "yes"

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 20, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's still very talky, but at least they get some results this time (even if some of them are shining moments of brilliance like "the creator of the MUP must like anime and video games!"), wimp boy finally spills that he knows something about the MUP (even if a little too late) and Cthulhu Fan continues to be proactive and villain-y. Requesting a gif of the moment where she counts her fat stack of money.

Also, Revy cameo:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show still manages to be very boring. It's like they animated a LN without bothering to adapt it at all. Maybe I'll pick it up again after the run ends.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When this series ends, we need to get to the bottom of whoever the hell was behind the pacing and why they hosed it up so badly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

HenryEx posted:

It's still very talky, but at least they get some results this time (even if some of them are shining moments of brilliance like "the creator of the MUP must like anime and video games!"), wimp boy finally spills that he knows something about the MUP (even if a little too late) and Cthulhu Fan continues to be proactive and villain-y. Requesting a gif of the moment where she counts her fat stack of money.

Also, Revy cameo:

also

plus

and then

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

emergency addendum

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
i liked the nod with ufotable cafe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I am very troubled by the recent development of someone in universe actually liking Rui.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I am very troubled by the recent development of someone in universe actually liking Rui.

Who?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Dzhay posted:

It's odd that Mamika seemed to have a problem with villain girl; dealing with obvious cackling evil should very much be in her wheelhouse.

I know that I'm a little late here, but I wanted to respond.

I think it makes sense that Mamika didn't know how to handle the villain girl. It's safe to assume that the show she's from is bright, optimistic and probably doesn't brings up death at all. She's used to an entirely different kind of cackling evil with completely different methods and motivations. A human being who just straight up murders other people for no reason/for fun isn't something that she would have any experience with. Or even concieve of, now that I think of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
best part of the episode

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RottenK posted:

I know that I'm a little late here, but I wanted to respond.

I think it makes sense that Mamika didn't know how to handle the villain girl. It's safe to assume that the show she's from is bright, optimistic and probably doesn't brings up death at all. She's used to an entirely different kind of cackling evil with completely different methods and motivations. A human being who just straight up murders other people for no reason/for fun isn't something that she would have any experience with. Or even concieve of, now that I think of it.

Yeah, visual similarities to Madoka aside, Mamika is quite clearly supposed to be more the sort of Saturday-morning kids cartoon magical girl whose villains are cackling bullies with superpowers whose bodycount is at worst implied (and may even straight up have a no murder code of villainy) rather than honest to God sociopaths.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TFRazorsaw posted:

rui would be incredibly annoying to anyone with responsibility or authority but he'd be hilarious to hang out and pick up chicks with

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think one of the biggest annoyances I have with the exposition segments isn't even just all the talking, it's how during the talking a character will come up with some ludicrous theory that doesn't actually have any support or backing to it whatsoever but everyone else will go "well, that makes sense" and then everyone proceeds like the ludicrous theory is an established fact. Before it was mostly Meteora reading off the script but this time we had a fat dude making up a reason why we're only seeing animes come to life and everyone going "oh, okay".

It's pretty rare that a perspective character hasn't managed to justify their existence by episode 7 of their show. I get that he's not meant to be the actual protagonist, but christ, the fat dude managed to figure out a huge portion of the secret Sota is sitting on by doing searches on Nico. I'm sure the big twist is something like he helped Suicide Girl create Altair or something along those lines, but when he suffered his little crisis of confidence he tucked her away and Suicide Girl took it badly. It would explain why he's so ridiculously whiny about his art and also why he's afraid to tell anyone this staggeringly important and useful information.

Magane got introduced last episode and already has dramatically more personality and menace than the main antagonist, as well as already being guilty of far more heinous poo poo thus far. For all the focus on who the Military Uniform Princess is, she sure hasn't had much presence in the show yet.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't really get it--Black Lagoon had excellent dialogue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I don't really get it--Black Lagoon had excellent dialogue.

I can't help but suspect that much of that was masterful adaptive scripting in the dub. They rewrote a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

rui would be incredibly annoying to anyone with responsibility or authority but he'd be hilarious to hang out and pick up chicks with

Chicks dig giant robots.

• Locked thread