Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

At first I liked the concept of the Magical Girl being the strongest character in a real world without bumper pads. But now I'm actually getting into the power-level competition. Is it still the crazy sparkle hearts? Or the different bullets? What's the demon girl holding back? What if Selesia got her mech? What is Meteora's great power? Will mech pilot kid successfully pick up those chicks?

I guess this show is fun or something.

Also, the pacing is fine. It feels like it's going more for setting up the environment, characters and seeing a blend of styles rather than rushing through the plot points, and I'm ok with that. Also weird opinion: I think the talky exposition has been within acceptability limits. You got to build lots of characters simultaneously, even the ones sitting there listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ahaha after all the whining about exposition, the show triples-down by having one villain fight using words as weapons and another one called "Blitz Talker" :lol:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mordja posted:

I'll just come out and say it; this show is way to self-serious for something as inherently wacky as "anime/video game characters invade the real world." Cliche as it is, there been almost no strangers in a strange land moments, most everyone adapted to modern Japanese society quickly and easily, and eight episodes in there have only been three real, brief fights. It's all po-faced speeches about reality breaking down and "no, I hate this rotten world, DAD!"

A lot of the characters have said "this is like my world's Japan, but slightly different", and others from more fantastical settings have shown how they've adapted to their situation. And the characters are all heroes/villains anyways, where their characterization is way more important than them freaking out about being in a new world (i.e. they were all written with a strong enough constitution to deal with situations like this). Overall I prefer the nuanced things such as

Darth Walrus posted:

Consider things like Selesia's window-opening method, Meteora's exposition being played over games of gay chicken, and Matsubara asking Yuuya to spare his author's head and writing hand when he beat him into a pulp.

over the samey "whuuuu what's thaaat" cliches.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Honestly Megane is the least dangerous creation since once you know her gimmick she can't do anything. Just don't call out anything she says and she's just a shark toothed high school girl. Or dont talk to her.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Or dont talk to her.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Or dont talk

welp Meteora's hosed

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I like the way this show is making the characters all look like idiots in their own way. It goes to show why having only main characters can be a clusterfuck. You gotta have sidekicks and supporting characters to make a story.

Sure things may sometimes be frustrating to watch, and of course I found myself frustrated at times, but I couldn't stay frustrated because everything is happening within the show's own rules, so really it was only me being frustrated at my own expectations. I think it's kinda neat this show is able to pull that off, despite it's weak writing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also even if Mamika hadn't died (largely to justify Alice's dumb crusade for REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE)

Alice's weakness is inability to deal with cognitive dissonance. Yes it's dumb, but it wasn't dumbly executed. They even animated the exact moment where her brain freezes up.

They already mentioned that the characters could change while on Earth, and it's not like every one of them will become a gooder guy. I enjoyed the simplicity and harsh execution of Alice's character progression, and would even go as far to say it generated a smidge of empathy.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

On the plus side, this episode featured an animation sequence that accurately depicts my reactions and feelings towards this show, and this thread, and a lot of things really

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

a kitten posted:

It has to be seen to be truly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

That actual moment when you realize you erased something from your memory, only to have it all come flooding back, and it was under 3 years ago :psyduck:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh, that's what the Re: stands for lmao

Everyone that hates the talky talk exposition should just skip this episode, because they were clearly saving animation budget and actually managed to have Meteora recap the recap of their plan they had just made earlier in the same episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Why would a change like that be popular?

Carnival Phantasm was exponentially better than any of the source material.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Holy poo poo.

Highlights the fight where Selesia gets rekt by a little girl

Re-writes her own fight as a sexy cool powerful character that easily wins and immediately ends the story

:laffo:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Grouchio posted:

The producers also made 4-koma box recaps in addition to the recap episode we just got: https://imgur.com/a/fCrGx

It is also quite hilarious.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

My bet: Souta's idea was to create a bland shounen high-school character to tie all the plotlines together, as the most self-inserty self-insert to have ever self-inserted :laffo:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did anyone else notice the random football team logos? I spotted the Corinthians (Brazillian) and Chelsea (English) along with the Brazil team uniform. Why on earth would that stuff be in a random Japanese stadium?

Because that is Nissan Stadium which hosted the World Cup in 2002 and a bunch of Club World Cups afterwards. Apparently they use this stadium for lots of Final matches since it's gigantic. The two teams you spotted played there in 2012.

I'm assuming they are going to use the venue in their plan as a giant gathering of spectators to watch the special anime battle event.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm going to go out on the most overextended limb and claim the most severe case of being anime-pot-committed: those comics have single-handidly pushed the show into the Worth It category for me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I mean, even on the female character side, what fan popularity poll isn't dominated by horny fan thirst?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

the talking...so much talking...

I cant take any more exposition GIVE ME THE PAYOFF ALREADY YOU FUCKS

I have never seen a show that has treated their audience as if they were sacks of completely dumbass motherfuckers quite like this ever before. Like they don't need to spend FIVE episodes in a row describing the PREMISE to us again. Like, not even the plot, just the introductory PREMISE of what they are doing. Oh, but this time with hot springs tits. We get it, we got it in the first 5 minutes, move on, please.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In the last episode they did indirectly explain why Meteora is like that: All the characters are getting re-written to be more powerful, Meteora included. She off-hand mentions how powerful her magic is, so we can deduce that also increases her Insufferable Exposition Power Level.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There are no words. (ep 18 spoiler)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Is it possible watching this show was worth the recap episode and the conclusion (and Magane) (edit: and the recap comics)?

I mean no,.... but maybe?

Anyways, ending with a whole bunch of "And now I am doing this! And now this has just happened!" hamfisted exposition was just funny in that sad way.

If this show was 14 episodes and had some director or editor tell the scriptwriter to get every non-Magane character to shut the gently caress up after they've had their say, this could have been in contention for anime of the year, but alas.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 17, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Anyone got the rest of these translated? The last half at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

These almost make watching this whole show worth it. Almost. Well okay not really that close. But still. Good stuff.

• Locked thread