Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Iretep posted:

my understanding is that she is the quest giver npc so her just blabbing on and on about the plot nobody cares about is pretty fitting.

Reminds me of Nagato Yuki from Haruhi, except they managed to make Yuki's infodumps fun and interesting by animating more than lip flaps while she talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Someone pointed out to me that the last episode had ten animation directors.

It seems like the animation studio bit off more than they could chew.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
As far as I know he's a pure mangaka.

Although, it's not like mangaka are renowned for missing deadlines.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Space Flower posted:

I saw /a/ talking about that but it was all just vapid talk with people just making the logical leap of "oh, 10 directors -> this is BAD" instead of considering or discussing possible context for it. Analyzing staff creds isn't as cut-and-dry as just counting big numbers and frowning. I think it's a weak topic to pursue until someone knowledgeable elaborates on what was going on with the ep, like if it was fully outsourced and divided between several studios, or if the names are from within the studio. How many directors did episodes previously have?

For reference, episodes 1-4 had a single director. That guy did not work on ep 5, and instead they brought on 10 dudes to work on an episode with about 5 minutes of actual animation and 15 minutes of lip flaps.

quote:

The animation director’s key role isn’t to ‘direct the animation’ per se (although they have varying levels of input depending on the person, studio and schedule). Their position is basically about consistency. They check all the key frames being created for an episode and make corrections where necessary so that the drawings are as close to the models for the series as possible. In some cases, they may have to redraw entire frames, or make adjustments to timing and movement (mostly, this happens for OVAs and movies). They are one of the four core staff positions for an episode (screenplay, episode director, storyboard, animation director). Key frames may also be checked by the episode director.

Animation directors tend to be more experienced animators and are paid more for the role. However, it is their responsibility if things go wrong with the animation, making it a potentially very stressful job, especially under time pressure. Often, an episode of anime will have more the one animation director, and this can be a sign of scheduling problems, with more people needed to complete the episode satisfactorily and on time, or even a sign of many poor drawings needing correction. It can also be because animation directors are being used to their specialties (ie. an animation director brought on to handle a mecha sequence, or to handle drawings of animals), or an indication that it was a difficult and demanding episode with a lot of drawings.

I can't see it as anything but a bad sign.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The dialogue this episode somehow managed to be worse than Meteora's monologues. I don't think we learned anything at all, and if we did, it still wasn't worth all of that tepid talking. I would make a "Show, not tell" rant except they nailed the new character's introduction perfectly. Then they followed it up by monologing her outlook on life and her personality. In case you somehow missed the deep subtleties of the schoolgirl killer...?

Even the fighting scenes weren't interesting.

I can't go on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't really get it--Black Lagoon had excellent dialogue.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't help but suspect that much of that was masterful adaptive scripting in the dub. They rewrote a lot.

I watched the sub, it was great. The scene where Rock tells Revy to stop loving with him was amazing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I still think there's something going on with the animation studio/production process. The first episode was spot-on.

I'm still waiting for a better scene than Selesia jacking that car and figuring out how it works while driving. Character development and plot at the same time?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a Rei Hiroe script. Watch Black Lagoon, especially the Greenback Jane arc, and you'll see that that is no obstacle to being the comic relief.

One thing I'll say about this show, it's really reminding me how much I enjoyed Black Lagoon. Greenback Jane kicked rear end.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Konosuba.

(Admittedly, Kazuma would have sorted out the whole mess in a matter of minutes, because Kazuma is actually invaluable in a crisis. It's everywhere else he fucks up.)

Despite being a comedy, Konosuba still has better drama than this show.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a computing pun posted:

Also I think maybe this show becomes a lot better if you stop expecting it to be an action show and start expecting it to be a character drama / exploration of the themes of authorial creativity & fandom.

It gets better if you dramatically lower your expectations from "original anime" to "budget light novel adaptation that came out before the actual light novel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think the operative lesson here is that unless you're willing to do Awesome All Aerial Boat Vs Helicopter duels in your cartoon that the Black Lagoon guy is not the greatest asset to have.

The problem with that theory is that Black Lagoon had really awesome dialogue for the most part. Excellent scripts, good direction.

It also didn't have the show-not-tell problem RE:Creators has.

I wish he was working on Black Lagoon again...

• Locked thread