Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I can enjoy a good infodump because I'm a huge nerd but I felt this episode started with Meteora making some wild leaps and everyone else just accepting it all as gospel, and it went downhill from there. It really broke it for me, I saw it as a bad writer having a "smart" character "figure out" the world and infodump it in a very dry manner. Like the latter half of episode three it took twice as long because it covered the same material from top to bottom twice, except it was an entire episode this time.

Really should save explaining the setting for later when there's more reason to care and maybe a single shred of evidence to back up the conclusions the characters are jumping to. It felt incredibly sloppy to me.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah. I actually liked the substance of Meteora's experience, I just wish they could have found any other way to deliver it to the viewer than a monologue.

I thought the substance was awful. Maybe if this were episode 14 instead of 4 and she had any evidence to back up her insane logical leaps it could have been fine. No one questioned her, and she expressed no doubt, because the writers didn't know how to introduce their setting and so had the "smart" character guess everything figure it all out and explain it to everyone else, including the audience.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Keep in mind that until episode 6 half of the show was exposition. It started roughly halfway through episode 3 and went until the end of episode 5, so that's two and a half episodes out of five episodes. The content of the exposition was also bad because we can see that Meteora has no evidence to back up her claims yet every other character, even the government, is taking it as gospel.

I'm hopeful that the show will be fun now that it looks like Meteora reading her copy of the script is over for a while, but the pacing of the show has been abysmal and the quality of the writing has been very mixed - the writing during the non-exposition scenes has been on point.

This is the same team that did Aldnoah and they learned nothing from it and they're making the exact same mistakes, except they're making them in the first third of the show instead of the last third. Instead of playing to their strengths and having good action scenes set to catchy music they're having boring characters talk at length about a plot that can't stand up to close scrutiny.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Oh hey it's the preview for episode 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKl8HX8qPV8

It's loving nothing!

I don't think they could have engineered a more disappointing preview if they'd tried.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Magane would be much better off if she had someone to bounce off of who wasn't a wet sack of potatoes. It felt like she was trying way too hard because she had to basically act for two people for that entire scene.

The setup with Alice felt incredibly weak and the only way it's going to work is if the characters stop talking completely. Which would probably improve the show.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I caught up on this show because I hate myself. The last six episodes felt like they provided about three episodes of content, which is at least a better ratio than the first seven or eight.

I feel like there's a really good 12 episode series buried somewhere inside these 22 episodes; I guess that's why I came back.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

No episode this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyjA17UwL4

A lot of arrogance to have a recap episode and skip a week when the pacing is this bad.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Kyte posted:

That aside, I feel like a lot of people here are trying to get from this anime something it's not trying to be. Yes, it definitely gave off the vibe it was meant to be more action oriented, but if 15 episodes didn't disabuse you of that notion shouldn't the problem be in you?

At this point the show isn't giving anyone anything. It's not that it's not action oriented, it's that it's not anything oriented. It's just Meteora, or other characters, repeatedly dumping the same information with different phrasing. Even for people who like infodumpy garbage it's not good infodumping or technobabble; some of the characters have a copy of the script and are explaining it to the audience because it doesn't follow logically from what the show has actually shown us.

Maybe it's trying to be something to complain about, which is something it's definitely succeeding in doing. It feels like the writers are so far up their own asses that they think they're writing a masterpiece and don't want anyone in the audience to miss any part of it, so they explain everything in exhausting detail.

It feels like there's a much shorter, decent series buried inside this padded out garbage, but even that's uncertain. I want it to end with all the creations fading away and being forgotten so that only the wet blanket of an MC remembers them, then I'll be able to say the show is completely irredeemable and has a worse ending than Kado.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

If that's actually the case then the writers of this show know nothing about how public perception works.

Has anything about this show made you think they do understand public perception of media?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The show is padded out to hell with characters slowly belabouring points or repeating themselves. You could cut the episode count of the show in half and not lose anything. It is very much that bad, even the first half dozen episodes were split almost half and half between "characters sitting in a room with Meteora talking" and everything else combined.

Episodes like this are just painful because they show that there is some talent behind this that could have made a good show instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Meteora decided she hadn't talked enough so she became a novelist.

There were some high points, showing that the writers could do good work when they tried, but they were few and far between. Just a miserable slog.

• Locked thread